1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vocal Range - When men sound like men.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Eric Karonen, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

I've always liked artists that were baritone at best when it came to singing, and cringed a bit when a singer sounded like a woman. Just a pet peeve of mine, unless it lends to harmonies.

I was listening to Cash and Cohen the other day, and that's my kind of manly sound.

Any thoughts?

2. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. The Bee Gees really taught me how a man should sound.

TheletterJ likes this.
  3. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

My heart needs mending!

4. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Man, I'm with you all the way! Leonard's Ten New Songs is the epitome of male baritone (or is that too much whisky and smoke?) I've been a fan of Cohen since the early 70's, and it amazes me how much his voice has dropped over the years. I love it. With that said, I am primarily a dog for great female vocals, and the few male vocalists I like with few exceptions, are that bass voicing.
    And that is why his selection of Sharon Robinson to harmonize is such a stroke of genius. The best of my 2 worlds vocally.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I like a voice that can go high. Roy Orbison, Bobby Hatfield, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, and on through Brad Delp and Steve Perry, all have voices that impress me with their range. I don't think they sound female. To me, one of the attributes of a great singer is someone who can hit notes that the normal person cannot. Cash and Cohen hit low notes with remarkeable clarity and control, but it's their songs that make them great, not their singing. They're kind of like Neil Young in that regard.
    Many people today completely dismiss Journey as a band of note, but I still love hearing Steve Perry soar on songs like "Wheel in the Sky." Bobby Hatfield's performance on Unchained Melody still gets me choked up. That is a hall-of-fame vocal. Does he sound like a girl? That's a matter of opinion and perspective, I guess.

Rustbucket and Frank'n'censed like this.
  6. otaypanky

otaypanky Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yup, the Righteous Brothers were somethin' ~

7. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

I love a good R&B/Soul falsetto... :cool:

8. scat4me

scat4me Tele-Afflicted

I like whatever voice says "Sir you have the winning ticket !"

9. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

I grew up listening to Neil Young, because my Dad was a huge fan and had nearly everthing he ever released. I like Neil Young, but I have to admit then when he uses his falsetto, I don't like it. The song After the Gold Rush is the best example of this that I can think of. Its a great song, but I can't stand the way his voice sounds on it.

I can forgive that kind of thing though, if the songs are good.

10. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

I like voices that sound natural -and that can include a natural falsetto as well.

I'm a big fan of male pop singers a la Sinatra, Dino, Tony Bennett, but I also love George Jones, B.B. King, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters..... and on, and on.

I'm with you Eric about the 'fem' singers. The ones that sound all breathy. Charlie Sexton immediately springs to mind.

Gimme a couple of Stompin' tom records, and a two four, and I'm happy as a clam! :lol:

11. upinthemteles

upinthemteles Tele-Meister

12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

So, Eric, how up to date is your Rush collection?

That's the only singer (and band) that will make me turn off the radio. Quckly. But it's not his range, it's the timbre of his voice.

I love Rob't Plants voice. The singing on the early Zep stuff is out of this world good. But I can't stand the Journey voice.

So I guess for me it's not about the vocal range, it's got more to do with the timbre of the voice and what the rest of the band is doing.

13. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Ever notice....

How many lead singers are tiny little guys???? Small, short vocal folds = high range...Jimo (Speech Pathologist)

14. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Shirley, you are not referring to Howlin' Wolf?

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Redd

If I had a nickle for every time I posted this one:

suthol likes this.
  16. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

Haha! Rush is a great band, saw them live in the 70s at a bar, but Geddy's vocals can be like nails on a chalkboard. I don't know why Geddy sings so high because he can do so in a much lower vocal range. Perhaps it's part of their ... umm .. attraction.

I don't mind the high vocals here and there, but I do prefer low vocals ... Greg Brown comes to mind right now, and that dude with Pearl Jam, Tom Waits ...

17. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Walk Like A Man... Talk Like A Man…

Sing Like A Girl...

18. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the guys that sing low the best.

Jr Brown the guy on the Oak Ridge Boys that does the low parts in Elviria Josh Turner Randy Travis and my fav is Peter Steele who died a few months ago from Type O -.

19. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

I'd just like to add that I'm a singer-songwriter and have a decent range, but I can't hit notes like James LaBrie of Dream Theater. Anyhow, I was in a deli yesterday and Air Supply was playing on their radio. I wanted to jab a knitting needle through my eardrums.

20. promagnum

promagnum Tele-Holic

What about this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rlB_q6lJ5A

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.