Visited the local chain guitar store tonight

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jimmythefish, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Jimmythefish

Jimmythefish TDPRI Member

I'm putting 51 Nocasters in my FSR butterscotch and getting the control plate reversed back. I also have some classicgear tuners coming next week for it. I had been struggling with whether to swap it for an American guitar, maybe even an Original. I browsed the Fender section and, honestly, I was super unimpressed with all manner of the regular American run. There was a 60s fiesta red Original, many American professionals and performers, and there's literally no substantive difference between the Mexicans and the Americans. The Original was maybe a bit nicer, but not a lot nicer. I don't know what happened between the Standard and the Professional, but the nice rolled edges of the necks of the Standard even seem to have gone. The nicest guitar there was a seafoam green modified Vintera, MIM. Seriously. I really want to like the Americans more, to have better guitars. But damn, just all mediocre. I think I'll save my money, my FSR is looking pretty decent (especially as it's 7.5lbs, feels quite light, great neck, and with the Nocasters now it's just a great guitar). Maybe it was just a bad night, not sure.

You'd be absolutely nuts to buy an American Professional over a MIM Player tele AND strat for the same price. I believe this now more than ever. It's custom shop now for a really outstanding guitar, and that's a shame.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    LocoTex likes this.
  2. Jimmythefish

Jimmythefish TDPRI Member

...and following up on this, I guess my point is that in choosing between the standard factory run guitars you should just choose features you like and ignore the American vs Mexican aspect. Both places make great guitars, lest I sound down on it all. I think it's just now pointless to choose American over Mexican as a starting point. If you want a feature on an American guitar, buy it for that feature. If you're just looking for a great standard guitar, just play them all and pick one you like and don't even look at where it's made. It doesn't matter.

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I disagree about the Am Std. I was not a fan of the necks or the Fat 50s on the most recent Am Std Strats, but I love my Am Pro and Am Performer Strats, and I like them more than the Vintera or Player Strats that I've tried, although I own a Player Strat, and I like it a lot. I also own the new Squier CV 70s Strat, and I like it a lot too. So, I agree with you about it not mattering where they're made. But, that being said, my Pro and Performer are still my favorites.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.