Visited A Local Mom & Pop Yesterday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 23, 2020.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...same place I bought my Tele and amp. I had some business in the area and decided to drop in for fun.

They had a Tone Master Deluxe and a Tone Master Twin. I finally got to play both side by side. I really thought I would prefer the Twin - I didn't. That TMDR was just wonderful; put the power scaling on 0.1 amp, dime the volume, and wow. I'm not in the market, but I know what I would get if I were.

Of course, in order to test those amps, I needed a guitar. On the wall I saw a used American Professional, candy apple red with the white guard. My favorite Tele color. I pulled it down, and took it back to the amp room.

A salesman checked in to chat, he told me how nice the Tone Master range was, told me to let him know if I had questions, and left me to the amp room. Nice.

I put that Tele on a stand to arrange amps, and I notice something. I turn it around, and there it was - Fender locking tuners. That is the one upgrade I would (seriously?) consider for an American Professional.

That guitar was a nice player. It felt to be about 7 pounds, or close to that - fairly light weight. Very responsive. After about 20 minutes, my credit card was getting ansy, and really wanted to come out for a swipe. The sticker price for this guitar was $1199; a new one is $1450, with $50 of upgrades (tuners), so $300 off new; $250 if you discount upgrades. Yeah, I'm sure there is room for negotiating, but that is too much. I had to leave before I was tempted. I am not impulsive, but still.

I called my wife on the way home and told her about that Tele. She said "Well, if it was less than $1000, I would tell you to go ahead." She is much more generous that I am. I can't justify the expense.

Last night I was reading here about tall narrow frets, and how some people just don't like them. I'm not sure I even noticed the difference between those and the medium jumbos on my Baja, but I was not thinking about that either. Of course, all this silly data on the interwebs gets me thinking. Why? I didn't even notice. Ugh.

I just don't need another Tele. Would I sell or trade in my Baja for a nice American Professional? Nah - not worth the expense for something marginally better. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

For now.

2. unixfish

To prove it happened:

20200222_123207.jpg

3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Well I think you should buy it man. Just my feeling about it. When you connect that fast there’s usually something there.

4. unixfish

Enabler! Enabler! ENABLER! :lol::lol::lol:

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. unixfish

If we did not have a big family vacation / daughter grad school graduation / 30th anniversary trip planned for this summer (our first vacation in 6 years), I probably would have bought this if I could get the price around $1000.

Sure, i can afford it regardless, but not justify the expense. Can't let that savings account dip too low.

djh22, nojazzhere and Erebia like this.
  6. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Buy it and don't look back!

Wifey even okayed it, go for it.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Wow - that's an awesome bargain for the one don't let her escape you'll regret it;) put 1k down and take your lunch to work for 2 weeks.

8. unixfish

Ummm, uh, ummm, I work from home full time. I take a lunch from home every day. :D

I get you point though. Even when I did work in the office, I only went out to lunch or down to the cafeteria once a month. I only bought coffee (gas station coffee) twice a month. I only buy a beer at a restaurant once a quarter. We only eat out once every two weeks.

It's easy not to go out and spend money with coworkers when you are an anti-social a-, uh, a, uh, butt head.

9. unixfish

And yes - I am trying to convince myself more than I'm trying to convince you.

pondcaster, Frodebro and Toadtele like this.
  10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Well you sound like most of my Linux friends;) I too am blessedly cursed by the career.

unixfish likes this.
  11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

That proves what did happen - it doesn't tell us squat about your dubious claim of what DIDN'T happen. Yet.

Frodebro likes this.
  12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Waiting patiently for the response where he says he went back and bought it.

GuitLoop likes this.
  13. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

I bet she okayed it because she's got $1500 of stuff in the Amazon cart. ;)

14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

holy moly. talk about a missed opportunity...

15. richbike

richbike TDPRI Member

A funny thing about regret is
    It's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.
    And by the way if you see your wife this weekend be sure and tell her...

You love her obvs

16. 53Strat

53Strat TDPRI Member

No, the tuners are standard, or they were on the one I've got. So if that was part of the "marginally better" you are definitely better off leaving it there.

Then again, the variety of the two (and I have both) is worth it IMO. You only live once. :D

17. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

That's a beauty, you sure you want to let that be the one-that-got-away?

(I know you don't think this forum is going to be the voice of prudent gear buying:))

18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I own an American Professional Stratocaster. I love the guitar, the feel, the neck, the look, the quality, and it’s a keeper. The only complaint is I that wish that Fender would have not messed with the old American Standard pickups.

I’m not a fan of the new Shaw VMOD pickups, they are just too bright for my taste. I’ve lowered the neck pickup on my guitar and that adjustment has really lessened the brightness of the VMOD neck pickup. So far, so good.

If you can get that Telecaster for a $1000, I’d go for it, they are great guitars. Just make sure that you like the pickups.

C36F1089-2FAA-4477-BAB6-D14AF287F393.jpeg

19. Ted Keane

Ted Keane TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

You're a better man than me.I would have left with it.Maybe layaway/payment plan?

20. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

My Mama always said "Life is short. You should have what makes you happy".

gridlock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.