1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Virgin build thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crisscrosscrash, May 9, 2015.

1. crisscrosscrash

crisscrosscrash Tele-Meister

I've lurked and read a bazillion build threads on here in preparation to finally try my own T-style from scratch (well, not fully from scratch, just the wood - everything made of metal will come in the mail).

As all good tele build pupils do, I started by downloading "the" plans - printed on letter paper and carefully aligned and glued.

For the body, I am using a slab of aneigre that I had lying around -- it's pretty lightweight and has a nice figure to it. I don't think anyone ever makes guitars out of it (?) Maybe there's a reason for that, and I am going to find out the hard way! The aneigre wasn't quite wide enough for a tele, so I ripped it in half, and and I will fill the gap with some walnut and wenge stripes.

Neck will be flatsawn birdseye maple - and probably a wenge fingerboard to match the body stripes. I'm not doing a standard tele headstock - it'll be a bit bigger, I guess sort of strat like, but a little more dramatic, I think... I dunno, I might change my mind before I make the template.

Cutting starts soon! Wish me luck.

Attached Files:

2. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Good luck. Never heard of aneigre, have to get my google on and see what it's all about. You are forever warned tho, now that you've started you won't be able to stop building. You'll will forevermore look at every piece of wood, table, chair, front door on your house and think... Hmmmm. Headstock looks cool to me.

The flatsawn wood for the neck scares me a little but some of them turn out stable, hopefully thats the case for yours.

3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I started making an anegre Thinline body a couple of years ago but I was using a jigsaw and the blade badly undercut so much that when I trued up the sides it was smaller than I could live with. I passed it on to a mate of mine who will use it for his first build. I would be happy to use anegre anytime. Mine was quite flamey and will look great one day.
    The neck maple looks good to me. I'd use it.
    Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forwards to see how you progress.

4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

At a quick look, there's no particular reason why aneigre wouldn't work. A little heavier and harder than alder tends to be. May have some silica content, so may blunt tools relatively quickly.

I like the headstock idea. As it is not going to be a Fender brand product, why not put some unique touches on it, here and there.

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup. Definitely addicting. Every piece of wood becomes a potential victim. We become wolves ogling sheep.

String

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome!.
    I've made bodies from aneigre which I got from a guy on fleebay. It's like a cross between Alder and Mahogany IMO. The stuff is nice, I have a very wide rift sawn piece that I can't wait to dig into. I like it because it's more of a neutral color. It is a bit rough on the tools though, newer sharper bits will fair better working it.

That neck blank looks super sweet!

Nice project!

7. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Looks like you have a good start going. Good luck!!!

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

When will you start building a virgin?

9. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Brainy, your mind is (still) in the gutter. Looks like a great project!
    Tim

10. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I had the same question, but Brainy beat me to it!

11. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

+1

Welcome to the forum…. looking forward to seeing your build progress.

12. crisscrosscrash

Thanks all, for the encouragement!

Made some templates today - the first body template got a little wobbly on the edge, but I used it for the cavity routs and made another just for the body outline.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neck template is done too - I kept the more exaggerated headstock design.
    [​IMG]

And here's a shot of some of the aneigre - it does have a nice mellow wavy grain, and it's quite light. It's true that it dulls blades fairly quickly - though it planes up pretty nicely. It's weird how it feels like it's not putting up a fight, but the blade tells a different story. I'll just have to resharpen everything tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  13. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm, latest attachment didn't work. Not sure what happened, except they don't look like image links.

14. crisscrosscrash

Thanks for letting me know - I reposted the pics, I think they should be visible now?

15. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Now the pics look good.

It is the silica content that makes the wood hard on blades. I believe Aspen is similar in that respect: pretty easy to work but pulls silica in some form from the ground it grows on.

16. crisscrosscrash

Starting to look like a guitar in the making!

Roughed out the neck and body with the jig saw, then worked on the body some more: sanded as close to the line as I could get with my "stationary" belt sander (i.e., clamped on it's side to the bench, with an flat elevated feed platform in front...) and routed the body with the template. I don't have a router table though, so I have to think about how I want to set up for the neck routing...

Here is a pic of the body post-router, and the neck just rough-cut:
    [​IMG]

Here's the belt sander jig that will have to make do since I don't have a ROSS:
    [​IMG]

And here's another closeup shot of the body - I started toying around with pickguard designs... I kind of want to leave as much body exposed as possible, so I might go with a modified thinline pickguard, and use a standard control plate with it. This printout of the pickguard doesn't look properly scaled though! Either that or my (eventual) neck pocket width is off. If it's off, at least it's too big. Removing material is easier than putting it back I guess.
    [​IMG]

Time to make a neck pocket template and figure out how to rout the neck without a table. Or maybe I should just make a table...

17. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

WOW!! That's coming along nicely!!

18. crisscrosscrash

Alright, so I got to working on the neck a bit, and decided to go with the "why make one when you can make two at twice the cost" design principle, since I had some more birdseye maple around. Also, the neck is the part of the build that's stressing me out the most -- I fear I will screw it up after spending a lot of time on it, so I figure I can try everything out on one neck, and then do it again on the other - hopefully I'll end up with one good one, and if I'm lucky, two.

I wasn't sure how I was going to rout them without a table - but I just clamped it overhanging my bench, with the template on top and had to stop and reclamp a few times. It worked alright I guess -- though not so stable with the router, so I went super slowly and got some burn spots on the heels.

Here is the first one (the one I intend to use):

[​IMG]

Here is the second - more burn, but it should sand out alright:

[​IMG]

I know Muzikp had stated up top of this thread that the flatsawn neck didn't seem ideal -- I'm not really sure how to read the grain on these two -- if anyone has any advice on whether one of these two necks looks likely to be more stable, please let me know! The first one has nicer figure, for what it's worth... Both pieces of maple have been sitting in my workspace for over a month since being cut to length, and winter has turned to summer in the meantime and they don't seem to be affected, do I guess they're stable enough?

Since I had the template and some extra walnut lying around, I went ahead and made a 3rd neck, thinking I might use it for a future project (already thinking of the next guitar!) It looks pretty sweet, and matches the striping on this guitar, so maybe I'll end up using it now(?) I did have my first mishap with the router though - an ugly tearout on the headstock coming around the top - I think I was just pushing my luck and moving too quickly:

[​IMG]

I think it'll be OK, since it's a non-standard tele headstock, I can just cheat the line - no one will ever know!
    [​IMG]

I cleaned up the edge with a hand saw and didn't go back to the router -- just took it slowly to the line on the belt sander jig - in the end it looks pretty nice. Here are a couple of pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the body, all I did today was radius the edge... Next up will be routing the neck pocket and cavities!

[​IMG]

19. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Those necks all look good to me. So long as they don't start moving around after carving, and it doesn't look likely, your in good shape. The body looks great!
    Tim

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

99.999% of fender necks are flatsawn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.