Virgil arlo

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jjzoe, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Jjzoe

Jjzoe TDPRI Member

Hello tele people

Im looking for a new set of vintage "like" pick ups and came across virgil arlo pups via allen hinds videos. They sounds good to me from the limited videos but its really hard to tell from you tube.

My question is whether people have more information on him and his pick ups. The website is very scarce with not much info. Given the price range (400 USD) id like to make sure this is the real thing. I mean how do we know for sure the quality of the product. I emailed him and got back a somewhat generic response. Im used to being able to talk to these pick up makers in person but his site said he has time constraints.

I realize there are strong opinions on tele pick ups on these pages but looking specifically for info on this puck up maker.

much appreciated.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Anyone that sells $400 a set pickups and has a "time constraint" for correspondence.

That's a red flag to me. I'm sorry.

Get a set of Cavaliers, Fenders, Keystones or whatever for a lot less and just as much quality.

Nothing against his pickups, but time constraint? Really, that's kind of lame.JMO

RoscoeElegante and Gibson like this.
  3. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Forget this guy. Just because some Joe uses his p/u's doesn't make them the holy grail for you. Get a hold of Rob Distefano. His p/u's are the shizzle. Tell him what you're looking for and he will deliver. I'm talking from experience. Had a brand new Baja bridge p/u bite the dust. Contacted Rob on a Friday and it was in my house the next Thursday and it worked great. Seriously, I wish I had more reasons to buy stuff from him but I don't so you should . . . :D

4. fiestared69

fiestared69 TDPRI Member

You can get two sets of Peter Florance pickups and have some change for $400

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For most of his life, Virgil Arlo has been building the highest quality reproductions of what a Vintage Guitar Pickup should sound like.

A reproduction of what a vintage pickup should sound like? Wow, what a tool.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They may be wonderful, but the guy would have to act like he really wanted my business before I forked over half that much money.

7. Jjzoe

Jjzoe TDPRI Member

It is a lot for a pair of pickups, but I would pay if there was a bit more transparency (the pick up maker not the pickups!). There is so much crap out there and BS that a serious pick up maker (or luthier etc..) should try to have as much info as possible out there to reassure the public.

8. Craig Thomas

Craig Thomas TDPRI Member

I think the Arlo’s sound almost identical to the vintage pickups I’ve played. I’ve tried a bunch of the boutique winders and the Arlo’s have something special going on, it’s hard to explain but they sound great. If they didn’t cost so much I would get them for all of my guitars. Another guy to check out is Ron Ellis, I have a buddy that loves his pickups but I’ve heard that he doesn’t have a website, doesn’t return calls and takes a year to deliver the pickups. Both guys seem to get a lot of praise.

9. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Rob Defestano,@ Cavalier makes such amazing pickups, & so very cheep! His basic FAT LION TELE BRIDGE,( which is a fantastic body, tone,presents) is only $60 + 7 for express mail,; you buy the fat lion & dont like it, mail me, i'll give u back the $60!!

RoscoeElegante and straightface like this.
  10. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Yeah, ive read all that sh*t about arlo's being the best! I got sucked in to the same style-wrap about Klein nocaster, how we had people examine a 54' tele pickup, & had his wire manufacture produce the identical wire, had the 54's magnets analized by a special magnet manufacturer & had the EXACT FORMULA POURED TO thoes exact specifications,, bla bla bla, for $225 for a set- they made my pinecaster wolf-its-cookies!! Out they went!! Get Cavaliers while there still in supply, Robs pickups are exceptional!!! U can bet on it!!I took the chance after reading sooo much great stuff on the tele forum, and im SO GLAD I BOUGHT A SET- then ANOTHER-and ANOTHER!!!! Hes got the SH*T!!

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  11. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I don't know about any of these other pickup guys but I have two sets of Rob's pickups and they aren't ever coming out of either guitar they are in.

12. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Probably 50-60% of the time when I go on Youtube, Arlo's commercial is there, bumped to the top. That's gotta cost alot, and that's my red flag, and probably why they cost so much. Not interested.

tlsmack and RoscoeElegante like this.
  13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

14. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Tele-Meister

Check out Wolfetones!
    Guy knows his stuff!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.