Vinyl Stickers?

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
For years now, I've been wanting to put together a Tele with some particular 'artwork' (I don't want to give away what it is just yet). While the art is out there available on the internet, trying to find the best scans and resolutions isn't something I've really put any effort into. I'm also just okay at graphic stuff, so while I know I could probably edit what I want to get transparency for a waterslide, I don't know that I could do the best job of it.

I recently found a company making 'vinyl wall sticker' prints of the artwork that I want, and in a nearly perfect size. I went ahead and ordered them, just in case I can use them. They are supposedly latex ink prints on Avery or 3M vinyl sheets.

This is the upper corner of one the sheets (sheet size is an odd 225mm by roughly 310mm).

PXL_20211105_030237981.jpg

So, can I clear over this? I would assume that this type print wouldn't last very long at all without some kind of protection. Should I just forget about trying to use these?

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Vinyl stickies - I've recently covered a wbw pick guard with peel & stick nu design wallpaper on the tribute ASAT I picked up during one of the Musician's Friend SDOTD.
This is my test version, so the wrinkle doesn't worry me.
20211103_211412.jpg

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I find contradictory information about latex inks and their resistance to water and abrasion.

From Ricoh: "What is latex ink? Generally, latex ink is a heat-fusing type, which allows printing on various un-coated base materials even though it is a water-based ink. Handling is similar to water pigment ink, but it can be fused to the base material like a solvent ink, making it waterproof and robust against scratches."

From HP, two very different statements:
"Prints produced with HP Latex Inks are ideal for indoor use. They are also suitable for outdoor use in dry climates or when installed under cover. If water-resistance or high abrasion-resistance is required, post-processing such as liquid lamination is recommended."

And:
"With HP Latex Inks, you can obtain outdoor durability and versatility across all common media types used in sign and display applications, together with high-quality, odorless prints, low maintenance, and health advantages—even over eco-solvent inks."

So it seems coating the stickers might be a good idea. You just need something flexible enough to allow you to peel it from the backing without cracking or peeling. Lacquer is probably not a good choice.

If you have spares/extras, you can try to scuff them, hit them with a sponge, etc., to see how well they hold up. Coating them may be unnecessary.

hmemerson

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
Have you ever seen what the 1960's vinyl guitar straps routinely did to lacquer finishes?

You do NOT want vinyl anywhere near a nitro lacquer finish, but don't take my real world first hand experience for it.

Here's what Frank Ford has to say about it on Frets.com, the bible.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenMaint/Vinyl/vinyl.html

I think you want someone to make large transfer decals for you, instead.

Best,
Howard Emerson

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree with Howard - I would only put it on poly.

Have you considered a clear film overlay? Something like a clear, flexible pickguard material they use on acoustics or some type of cling film.

1guy

Tele-Meister
Vinyl stickies - I've recently covered a wbw pick guard with peel & stick nu design wallpaper on the tribute ASAT I picked up during one of the Musician's Friend SDOTD.
This is my test version, so the wrinkle doesn't worry me.
View attachment 916317

Looks pretty good.

Have you used a razor to cut into the wrinkle and smooth it out with a credit card?

In another life, I used to apply vinyl signs on buses. This was long before cars wrapped in vinyl was a thing.

I actually wanna wrap one of my project guitars, but the cost of the sheet is ridiculous.

Edit.. I took a closer look..

Looks like the main bubble is over a screw.
Use a straight pin and poke multiple holes, over the screw to release the air and smooth it out.

Use a razor...cut along the long crease and use a card to smooth it.

To make the edge look more finished, use the razor AT AN ANGLE to clean excess vinyl from the edge of the pickguard.

Last edited:

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
You do NOT want vinyl anywhere near a nitro lacquer finish, but don't take my real world first hand experience for it.

No. This would either be on a polyester finish, or on my own finish with a 2 part urethane clear under and over it (if that's possible).

RedHills

Tele-Meister
I've played with making them and have a few on guitars Ive done...followed a progress that had me spray clear coat over them to protect. The only issue is they can become translucent depending on the background color. I also was unable to hide the edges of the "slide". Not horribly discernable, but evident.
Mine were created with color lazer and the slide stock. There ARE differences in quality of it I found.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Looks pretty good.

Have you used a razor to cut into the wrinkle and smooth it out with a credit card?

In another life, I used to apply vinyl signs on buses. This was long before cars wrapped in vinyl was a thing.

I actually wanna wrap one of my project guitars, but the cost of the sheet is ridiculous.

Use a straight pin and poke multiple holes, over the screw to release the air and smooth it out.

To make the edge look more finished, use the razor AT AN ANGLE to clean excess vinyl from the edge of the pickguard.
Thanks for the pro-tips.
Heck - this was just a practice run. . .
I might not even cut out the hamburger, unless it needs to "breathe" :rolleyes:

Peace - Deeve

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I've used these stickers on two Fender Stratocasters and two Ibanez RGs and they've never affected the finish other than keeping it from fading / aging as fast as the rest of the uncovered portion of the finish. I admit I don't take them outside the studio unless I'm just going to a friends house or whatever so I can't say what a lot of sunlight or stage time might do to them. One RG was done 15 years ago and the other was done 14 years ago and they look the same today as they did back then. The first guitar I did this to was a 2004 Fender Powerhouse Stratocaster in graffiti yellow. I sold it a few years back for much more than I paid for it and it still looked perfect. This past year I used them when I changed out a lot of things on my Eric Johnson Stratocaster. I wanted another "hippie" Strat so I picked up an aftermarket pick guard, replacement knobs with purple abalone inlaid tops, Graph Tech saddles and a set of custom pickups from Klein. A '63 for the neck, '57 for the middle and S-8, (David Gilmour), for the bridge. It turned out perfect.
Note* I've never used them on a nitro finish and, after reading the earlier posts, would not do so. On poly they've never been an issue for me. I can take them off and replace them with no problems. Unless I choose to peel them off they seem to last forever.

PaulNYC

TDPRI Member
Looks pretty good.

It's a b****.

I just did mine.

Attachments

• PXL_20211104_013441129.jpg
    PXL_20211104_013441129.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 68

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
For years now, I've been wanting to put together a Tele with some particular 'artwork' (I don't want to give away what it is just yet). While the art is out there available on the internet, trying to find the best scans and resolutions isn't something I've really put any effort into. I'm also just okay at graphic stuff, so while I know I could probably edit what I want to get transparency for a waterslide, I don't know that I could do the best job of it.

I recently found a company making 'vinyl wall sticker' prints of the artwork that I want, and in a nearly perfect size. I went ahead and ordered them, just in case I can use them. They are supposedly latex ink prints on Avery or 3M vinyl sheets.

This is the upper corner of one the sheets (sheet size is an odd 225mm by roughly 310mm).

View attachment 916311

So, can I clear over this? I would assume that this type print wouldn't last very long at all without some kind of protection. Should I just forget about trying to use these?

Is this the girl with the puppy yanking down her bikini bottom from Coppertone ads? Thought so.

Hey, my Mom used to cover EVERYTHING with contact paper - why not give that a try?

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
A miniature Tele to test on. That's a great idea!

Did you read my post?

What do you not comprehend about ordering the smallest (presumably cheapest) decal made of the same material to tests the effect of lacquer on it?

Once again, common sense proves to be very uncommon.

It's a really stupid graphic anyway, but no accounting for taste.

Last edited: