Vintera

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by marklcfc, Feb 27, 2020.

1. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

I really like the colour of one of the Vintera 50s it has everything I want apart from one issue - it has a thick soft v neck, compared to what I've always had in a modern C. Is this likely to be a problem? I've read the 50s models are quite thick, so compared to what I'm used to will be alot different.

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I have smallish hands and love Bajas.Vs allow one's hand to play more relaxed.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I don't know about 'likely' but it could be a problem, Do you tend to get used to different necks quickly?

I don't and the neck is the most important thing to me, if I don't like it at first, chances are I'm not going to ever like it. I've really tried with some guitars but it never works out. I tend to avoid anything described as thick or chunky.... or wide for that matter. I just can't get used to them.

4. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

Every electric guitar I've had has been a modern c neck, thats in 15 years of playing.

I have a few Yamaha acoustic guitars that I get on fine with but the necks look quite like my electrics.

5. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I always thought describing the 50s Modified (or Baja) as having any sort of V was a bit misleading, but if that what Fender says it is, who am I to argue? I don't think you'll notice the profile as much as the overall chunkiness.

BluesGuitarMart and Tim180A like this.
  6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The Vintera's 50s tele neck is a big U, not a V. I don't have large hands, but I like it a lot... just wish they'd rolled the edges a bit...

7. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

Sorry I'm on about the modified version, I couldn't edit the topic after I started it

8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

It is really a matter of personal taste (i.e. hand).
    I have pretty bug hands and love big necks, bit for whatever reason V shaped necks make me have cramps after a few minutes, go figure.

So I think you should try it before buying, Bajas' necks are very appreciated around here.

9. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

Yeah it’s a personal thing, you have to find out for yourself.

The soft v on my Strat is the best neck that I’ve ever played, but I also enjoy the C neck on my MIJ Strat and whatever the fairly thin neck is on my CV Tele.

10. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

I believe the 50's mod has a slimmer neck but the big (very big) U shape on the 50's re-issue and the vintage frets I wasn't happy with. Not recommended if you have small hands.

11. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

Just out of interest if I put player series pickups in a vintera would it sound the same as my current player series guitar?

Not that I would do, I’m just interested to know if it’s the pickups that determain the sound these vintera guitars aim for or does the way the guitar is made like with the neck and bridge differences also have an effect?

12. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Good luck getting a simple answer to that one. The best I can offer is: 'possibly, but probably not'.

13. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

You can get used to a lot of things, I wouldn't worry too much...

hemingway likes this.
  14. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

What I'm trying to get at is, would it always have a certain sound, even when replacing pickups as opposed to a standard american, or player series for example that don't have '50s' or '60s' attached to it.

15. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

I worry and overthink most things not just guitars :(

16. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Putting Player series pickups in a 50s Vintera will most likely make it sound close to a Player. And at the same time devalue the guitar by £200.00. Put them in a 60s Vintera and they'll sound a little different to what they sounded like in a 50s, because the neck and saddles are different (among other things... don't have the specs in front of me).

So, pups aren't the only things that can have an influence on sonics; you've got neck profile and fretboard material, frets, saddles, body woods, strings, pots... etc, etc. What makes a 50s Tele different to a 60s is not just the pups, but the hardware and design.

To take this to a ridiculous extreme - putting Telecaster pups in a Les Paul won't make the LP sound like a Tele. I once ruined a Baja Tele by putting a mini humbucker in it, because I wanted a cheap 52 Hot Rod (long-since discontinued)... dunno why, but it sounded nothing like a Hot Rod 52 and just ended up killing a good guitar.

Pups are obviously the thing that makes the single-most difference between guitars of the same type. Although, arguably, the biggest tonal difference comes from the player... unfortunately, money can't buy you the ability to sound like Jeff Beck.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You’ll only know if you try one. You may, like some, be a set neck person, i.e., set in your ways and only comfortable if you don’t stray too far from what you like. On the other hand (that’s two unintentional puns so far!), you could adapt quite easily. You need to sit in the shop for a good 39 mins. with the Vintera and see how you feel.

18. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Me too. We should get together, we could fret about and over think everything from what strings should I use to how many turns is too many on a truss rod!

19. Bluesidae

Bluesidae TDPRI Member

The neck is huge (compared to other Teles and Strats that I have played) and wonderful! I have small hands and the fit is perfect. I will have one someday.

20. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

yep,its awesome....I've had a '69 since 1987 and would have considered it the thickest and best Tele neck I played all this time...until I got a Vintera 50's...its like its 13" to the foot scale...its the sonic blue.....got the fiesta red later....its a thick neck but not as much as the blue....I have really small hands but somehow those necks just work.....

horax likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.