Vintera WRHB is a new design? It appears so...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by logans_tele, Aug 8, 2019.

1. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

I inquired with Fender about whether the Vintera WRHB's are any different than the immediately preceding Classic Series and the rep wasn't certain but he did share with me a parts diagram.

I can see that it still looks basically the same, construction wise. But its interesting that in addition to the bar magnet below the bobbins there are two additional bar magnets along the long sides of each bobbin. This bar magnet appears to take up the space previously taken by the foam coil. There is still a foam spacer at each end of the bobbins between the bobbin and the pickup cover.

One other observation, my 2018 Fender WRHBs measure 8.1 DCR for the neck and 8.3 DCR for the bridge. The diagram I got shows a 7.8 K neck and 9.2 K bridge.

I'm not a technical guru at all when it comes to pickups, but I have to wonder if these changes serve to brighten them up a bit (to me, even the "revoiced" reissues were to dark).

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Let's hope they are striving for a nice, distinctive humbucker in the vein of the original WRHB sound, and that they get closer every time they do a re-design.

On another note, I wonder how long this thread will go before someone pipes in with 'CuNiFe blah blah blah.'

Jay Isler, rob2 and logans_tele like this.
  3. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

I’m curious about the Vintera series wrhb pickups. I have a Classic Series one and didn’t like the pickups (swapped them for Catwhiskers). They were very muddy and almost useless for cleanish sounds. They did better with overdrive pedals once you would adjust the amp and pedal settings.

It would be cool to compare the new and previous series pickups side by side.

logans_tele likes this.
  4. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I believe that Tim Shaw was heavily involved in the design of ALL the pickups in the Vintera series, so I would be shocked if the WRHB were not very different from the preceeding (not widely revered) MIM version. That said, as someone who owned an original 72 (well, 74 or 75) Telecaster Custom, I think the original WRHBs have benefitted from a lot of image burnishing over the years. Yeah - it was a really nice take on a PAF for a tele, but the prices originals command have way more to do with the legend (and the fact that CuNiFe is "unobtainum) than with the sound...

5. backporchmusic

Agreed with the above. I see no reason why someone today can't design something that exists in the same space, tonally, and isn't just another humbucker. A humbucker designed by single coil guys. Less beef more chime.

I hope they are closer. The ones in my Squier VM 72 tele thinlne seem better than the ones from the mid-00s MIM.

bsman and logans_tele like this.
  6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

There has always been a market for the reissues. As the owner of a battered but original '76, I've often been pleasantly impressed with the versions I've played- Mexican and Japanese builds. Just recently, I played one of each- both around 15+ years old. They both played and sounded great. Maybe I'll be thrown out of the CuNiFe Owners Club, for saying so...? :D

bsman and logans_tele like this.
  7. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My 2004 '72 Thinline RI has always sounded great. WRHBs are clean and trebly. I like 'em a lot.

logans_tele likes this.
  8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Your description sounds a lot like some of the firebirds I've heard. The Kent Armstrong Firebird comes to mind and is pretty much as you describe.
    The MIM WRHBs from a few years ago (over 10 maybe) seem to be the ones that get the most love on these sites. I have a set of originals but they need some serious attention as they came from a 72 deluxe that someone butchered. There quite a bit of truth to the current cost of the originals being based on the materials used, specifically the CuNiFe magnets, Telenator was a member who had a short lived business that made repros and did rewinds but I think do to cost the business wasn't self sustaining.
    From my limited experience playing the originals I can say they have a unique sound but nothing so different that the sound can't be replicated. I think part of the problem is that a majority want that sound and in the same package and that doesn't happen unless you have the same materials. A skilled pickup maker, IMHO, can make a pickup that sounds pretty close but doesn't look anything like the originals.

backporchmusic likes this.
  9. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

I have two original thinlines,a custom and a tele bass but I've also owned RI's...i always felt Fender did not get what they expected from Seth Lover....I reckon they wanted Gibson PAF in a Fender cover but he (ingeniously) gave them Tele-on-steroids(in a Fender cover).So the original widerange Teles didn't appeal to either Gibson or Fender markets and have a niche following today.They're like Fenders P90,the bridesmaid rather than the bride.
    The classic reissues were a success because they gave us Tele ergonomics with a more Gibson sound...I'd be perfectly happy with that in the new Vinteras.

logans_tele likes this.
  10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Not trying to highjack this thread, but that's what my Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge pickup sounds like...

Squier Pickups.JPG

`

11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I have the re-voiced WRHB in my Thinline. I like the way they sound. I've seen Tab Benoit up close playing his original Thinlines with WRHBs. His sounded much better so it must be the pickups. ;>). Seriously though, he was plugged straight into a Cat 5 amp, playing balls out and it sounded phenomenal.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Based just on that description, I'd expect more magnetic output, so the pickups would be beefier than chimier. Like a classic P90. You might try using a paperclip or screwdriver that you can put to the end of a pole piece and feel the breakaway force needed for this pickup and other conventional pickups you have. If you suspend the pickup/guitar so the pickups face down, put a paperclip to a pole piece you could add weights to the paperclip until it won't stay up any more and then compare to another humbucker and see if you need to add or subtract weights.

logans_tele likes this.
  13. JimHalinda

JimHalinda TDPRI Member

There are good aftermarket WRHBs out there that are based on the original design.

I have a Telenator T2 set and a Creamery Classic 71 set (both alnico). Both sound fantastic. Fender P90 indeed, but without the hum, and a bit more hi fi to my ears compared to a P90.

For me it’s the perfect blend of single coil and humbucker qualities.

Also check out Novak, Lollar, Duncan, Brandonwound, Catswhisker, and probably a few others that I’ve forgotten.

They aren’t cheap but nothing sounds quite like them ...

nicod98 and logans_tele like this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The old ones are what they are. The new ones are what they are. The MIJ sound like Ibanez humbuckers which is pretty much what they are. The MIM are fine too - they don't sound particularly accurate to the originals but that doesn't mean they sound bad.

The old ones have their own magic thar countless comparison videos demo. Given most people don't know - does it really matter?

Gibson 'PAF's arguably also aren't true to vintage units.

The old cunife poles were very low magnetic strength but close proximity to strings. Most designs use high winds and stronger bar magnets extended by steel poles

I think Seth Lover knew exactly what he was doing. High winds/DCr but low gauss. Gretsch Filtertrons use low wind/DCr coils but a double thickness magnet to PAFs - lowish output but excellent fidelity with juicy chime is the result.

Lover's design doesn't compress and lose highs like PAFs, but also keeps a strong output in a humbucking pickup unlike Gretsch's.

I don't think it's so much the market rejected the WRHB but the CBS-era guitars - FEIC was a failing company when they were introduced. It's true the stadium artists using Les Pauls influenced some people to ditch them for PAFs - that fad like shaving necks or taking the paint off Goldtops didn't last long.

The old Tele hands didn't like the Teleoids they appeared in, the bridges, Strat headstock on the Deluxe, or the Thinline. Plus try the general bad rep CBS had for three bolt neck, heavy, poly finishes

Either way - Fender owns the pink slip so the WRHB is what they say.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    nicod98, logans_tele and Controller like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You just did, yourself.

AxemanVR likes this.
  16. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Yeah, I started with the stock WRHBs in a 2018 72 Deluxe reissue. First, I switched to 500K pots, then I swapped the WRHBs for Lollar Regals. There are usable tones in any of those configurations, but for my ear, the Regals and the 500K pots had the brightness and chime I was looking for. I'm still tempted to send my WRHBs to Brandonwound to have them rebuilt just to see what tones I could get.

17. DesmoTele

DesmoTele TDPRI Member

I'm waiting to see what Ryan from Bootstrap comes up with.

18. backporchmusic

and oh how vexing that must be.

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It is. I'm still overcome by it and may not get up, today. :oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.