Vintera Vs Baja

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by horax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Which is your preference and why?

2. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

If I had to start my tele search all over again I would definitely start with the Vintera series. I have no need for the S1 switching on the Baja.

gwjensen likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Comparing like for like then it's Classic Player Baja vs Vintera 50s Modified. Both have 4 way and S1 providing the same pickup switching options.
    They are virtually the same in all but name (and price:rolleyes:).
    Fender seem unsure as to the body wood used in the Vintera Modified, could be ash or alder they don't seem to know.

One tiny difference, the Baja nut is specified as 1.625" (41.3mm) and the 50s Mod is 1.650" (42mm) which makes the Baja neck slightly narrower at the nut. I prefer the extra width.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    El Tele Lobo and gwjensen like this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I thought the blonde Mod 50s was ash - so you can see the grain - and the daphne and surf were alder (holds paint better)? The blonde is $50 more, so that sort of makes sense.

RadioFM74 and Chipss36 like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You can easily add a 4-way switch to any Tele you have or might get for $11 or so. It's my auto mod when I get a new Tele.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I thought the Vinteras were just the higher end MIM models with a fancy new name and a higher price tag. Same with the Player Series - just a MIM Standard renamed with a hundred dollar price increase.

7. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

You are, of course, correct.
    It's an error on the Fender web page for the Vintera 50s Modified. Daphne Blue is the default page Fender link to. Changing the color from Daphne to BSB should update the page with the correct specs for that color but it doesn't. All 3 versions are alder.

Using this url
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...ntera-50s-telecaster-modified/0149862350.html brings up the BSB which is now ash. Change color on this page to the daphne and that is also ash.

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking of taking the S1 switching out of my vintera 60s mod, and just leaving it with the 4 way. I'm also considering Broadcaster pickups, as I'm really not amazed by the stock ones.

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

But the Baja is Custom Shop designed .

10. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

not exactly. All standard MIM have c neck, six saddles, and basic pickups. Vintera have four different neck profiles, barrell saddles, and different pickups types per model

11. 50hz

50hz TDPRI Member

I'm in the minority here it seems but Baja's do nothing for me. Don't like the neck carve, don't care for the switching, and prefer 7.25 to 9.5 so I'd go for a 50s Vintera any day of the week.

I really liked the one 50s Vintera I've played. I'll be keeping an eye out for a used one in the future.

mimmo, Bella_Caster and gwjensen like this.
  12. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

Are you talking about the '50s Vintera Modified? It has the same basic specs as the '50s Baja: 9.5" radius, soft V neck, 4-way switching with S-1.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. 50hz

50hz TDPRI Member

No, just the standard 50s version, which is "vintage spec." I haven't played a Vintera 50s Modified since it looks the same as the Bajas spec-wise. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Fendereedo and Fuggle like this.
  14. MXLBRY

MXLBRY Tele-Meister

The real Telecaster sound: 50s alnico pickups, 3 way wiring harness, 4 bolt on maple neck, and ash body.

Vintera kinda misses that mark if you ask me. The Baja has the 4 way switch I can't stand and gets old real quick when you keep accidentally hitting it into parallel position live.

Fendereedo and 50hz like this.
  15. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

I have a 50s mod, what difference does taking it out as opposed to just not using it?

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Well, the Vintera Mod misses that mark because it goes exactly for Baja spec.

The Vintera 50s (plain, non-mod) is pretty close to what you describe and frankly the one I tried in store would be mine if I did not already have an AV52. It was remarkably close! And the red one looks very nice, too!

Route67 likes this.
  17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Personal reasons I suppose, sometimes I catch the button with a knuckle etc. YMMV.

18. MXLBRY

MXLBRY Tele-Meister

I think the new Vintera stuff is Alder body right? Could be wrong. I just don't see why paying $1k for a new Vintera makes sense, when you can get a used 52 reissue for that used.

Fendereedo, RadioFM74 and 50hz like this.
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

You’re right about woods, tho in my very personal and humble opinion that does not matter much other than aesthetically. I also agree with you about prices as the market stands now. Heck, I got my 52 in a swap for less than what I’d pay for a new Vintera. But to be fair you should compare used vs used. Vintera 50s teles are already very nice teles, and when they will be out there for 500$ used (not long…) they will be mighty good deals too.

Fendereedo and MXLBRY like this.
  20. MXLBRY

MXLBRY Tele-Meister

I agree! This is the golden age of really good Telecasters again.

Fendereedo and RadioFM74 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.