Vintera series - hit or miss?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by StringThing68, Feb 18, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You didn't misread it. That is what it said.

We just had to read between the lines and interpolate what he meant to say.

:^)

StringThing68 and mkdaws32 like this.
  2. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

The ones I've played at Guitar Center I would pay about $500-600.
    What the MIM Classic Series originally went for. They aren't worth the current list price that's for sure.

I ordered a 70s Classic for a Keith style Tele and it was ok. It weighed an entire pound more than listed so I sent it back.

Be nice if they came with a hard case, maybe rolled fretboard edges, and nicer fret work then they'd be worth the list price to me.

I don't see the point in buying one when the market is flooded with used American Reissues that have historically had a higher build quality.

Telecaster88 and StringThing68 like this.
  3. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Nope... it's a 9 1/2" radius neck and I wouldn't call it HUGE (unless you have tiny hands), or too vintagey at all, not with the neck pup, in particular, and the switch options.

I've got one in bs blonde and it's the best guitar I've had. Got mine for only £100.00 more than a secondhand Baja... I consider mine a Baja in any case, but I'd rather take my time and choose a new one than risk a secondhand duffer on ebay.

The only thing wrong with them (IMHO) is that it came with 9's... too flimsy, especially in contrast to a chunky neck... better with 10's. (9's on the 60's might be okay, as it's a more delicate flower.)

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Fender is apparently up to it's old tricks of adding unnecessary confusion. There's 2 versions. One w a Baja neck, the Modified; one w a '52 style neck. The OP is about the Baja one.

5. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Can of worms, but IMO the Vintera is excellent value, both price-wise and in terms of quality, when compared to the American Performer. The latter is where buyers are being screwed - just for the sake of having 'Made in the USA' on the back of the headstock.

howardlo likes this.
  6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

But with the CV50's, if one has to factor in swapping out the jack, pots, switch and wiring, then it really makes it a decision, and not so much a "no brainer". :rolleyes:

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The nut simply must be changed, on these CVs. You're going to have to do it after six months' real use and so you may as well do it now. And for whatever reason, these nuts are miserable to get out.

I think CVs are for noodling around. I'm back to thinking, the CV is not a pro quality piece, and FMIC has done this deliberately. Buy your CV, let people marvel at how nice it looks, and play it in your bedroom.

Might be wiser to just buy the Bullet, and put a proper nut on while doing your own level, crown and polish. The CV is a more expensive trap.

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  8. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Sounds like you are talking about the Baha or 50's modified - my Vintera 50's (not the modified) was a real handful

9. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I recently played one and the new American Performer Tele, and was highly disappointed. I couldn’t justify the cost increase for either. To make things worse, those Yosemite pups are absolutely lack luster. It hurts to say this because I am a Fender fan boy. Lol

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I thought the Yosemite pickups in the Performer Mustang were dog turd, that's the main reason it went back.

11. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

i tried three mustangs in tin pan alley and all choked out on me, but probably the 7.5" but people like to solo without issues so they were a miss for me, i was going to buy one too.

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

It costs like $70-80 to replace the control assembly with quality components, and I typically do that on the MIM guitars, too. All things being equal, I think the Vibes have better pickups.

The Vibes ARE a no brainer if you like the neck. Mine is fine for standard tuning, but miserable for open-G (which is why I bought it).

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

They're very good guitars. Will probably pick up a 50s in the near future.

Andy_White_83 and Fendereedo like this.
  14. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

My friend Paul and I have made a video comparing my American Vintage 52 with my friends Vintera 50s Modified.

I agree with @TeleTex82 that they are very good guitars. And compared to my AV 52 the neck of the Vinteras truly is big. We have uploaded a picture of both necks next to each other over here.

I hope this helps @StringThing68 :)

TeleTex82 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.