Vintera series - hit or miss?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by StringThing68, Feb 18, 2020.

1. StringThing68

StringThing68 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm seriously thinking about ordering a Vintera 50's modified in B-Blonde. Although an original 50's is enticing, I can't justify the $2300 (CDN) price tag.

So, tell me about your experiences with such a beast? Good or bad? Do I need to be talked out of it?

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Did you mis-quote the price? Did you mean $1300 CDN? That particular model is listed as $1369 retail at Long and Mcquade.

Dismalhead and StringThing68 like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

I think they’re a hit. They’re nice. But quite honestly, I’ve played Classic Vibes right next to them that played very similarly and were of similar quality.

So, no more or less a hit than a good new Classic Vibe.

Where a clear, noticeable upgrade in quality from either was evident was going to an American Original, or further, a Journeyman CS. Otherwise, I felt the CV and Vintera were very similar, both good, solid, comparable instruments.

Edit: I see you were asking about an American Original, too. I did feel that was better than a Vintera. The one I played I felt was on par with custom shop, personally.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. mkdaws32

My local L&M does not stock any Vintera Teles :( :( :( . So I've yet to try one. They look good on paper, though. I would love to compare playability along side of the MIM Player Tele's, which I think are a huge hit.

StringThing68 likes this.
  5. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Quoted from above:

"Did you mis-quote the price? Did you mean $1300 CDN? That particular model is listed as $1369 retail at Long and Mcquade."

The OP is considering the Mexican made Vintera 50's Telecaster (1369) because he does not want to spend more for the USA Original 50s Telecaster (2399).

mkdaws32 and StringThing68 like this.
  6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

A used or even new 50s Baja is $600-800. The Vintera replaced it.

stnmtthw and Lawdawg like this.
  7. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Ok! So I bought the red one as soon as they came into the UK. I've since sold it. You need to be prepared for a really big neck, true 7.5 radius and vintage small frets if you go for the 50's. No doubting it was a well made guitar with supposedly specific pickups but I did have a few issues when it was used in combat. Have to say the big neck (it's huge -try one) and the tiny frets did bug me but the electronics were not wonderful - hasty wiring and really poor "turnabilty" of the pots - all gone in a third of a turn and huge drop in treble necessitating a treble bleed system fitting. Well made and looked fine but the Tokai I traded it for is much better. If you are looking for a 50's style tele - see if you can get a Roadworn, they are excellent and don't dismiss the Squier Classic Vibe - beautifully made, great player and incredible value.
    I'm not saying the Vinteras are bad - they do have vinage appointments -and some of the others in the series do have different neck, frets, pickups etc but IMHO the 50's one is "too vintage" from a modern playing perspective which can be limiting.

Route67 and StringThing68 like this.
  8. StringThing68

Yes, I meant that the American 50's original is $2300 cdn. Yes, the Vintera modified is $1369 at L&M.

9. StringThing68

The Vintera 50s modified that I am looking at has a 9.5 radius rather than the true vintage 7.25. It is essentially the Baja Tele rebadged and priced $300 more (new).

Fendarr likes this.
  10. StringThing68

Mine doesn't stock them either, the closest to actually try one hands-on would be about a 2 hour drive.

11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The " Modified" version does seem like a Baja w a bridge p-up change. Why not get a Baja ? Online there s still new ones..............Is it the exchange rate that makes them so expensive ? If not drive down and get one in the states .

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They're clearly superior to any of these Classic Vibes I have played lately. That's really not the issue, IMO.

The question is, are they superior to a used or new old stock MIM 50s Baja you might find in a store? Some might be but most are pretty much the same quality. Although MIM guitars and basses IMO have collectively, incrementally improved each year since the Baja was introduced in 2006.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

As a 50s Baja owner/player, I'd keep looking for a used one in decent condition. I'm interested in a 70s Thinline (with WRHBs), but waiting till I can A/B the Vintera against the Classic Vibe versions. IMHO, the Vintera is overpriced for a MIM.

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Hit on my custom 70s vintera. Miss on my 60s modded, which had frets like razor wire.

15. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I too suggest a used or new Baja. My 2014 is a great guitar.

This coming from someone who felt the 52 AVRI was a bit meh.

16. Andy_White_83

Andy_White_83 TDPRI Member

My 50s tele is a hit, for sure. Picked a nice, light one from Sweetwater. Fit and finish is great, fretwork really nice. It’s a good one. This is a fun guitar to own. Like others have said, you have to know what you’re getting, especially with this model. The neck is BIG and the frets are true vintage - narrow and short. It’s a different experience, but I love it. Mine plays great and sounds like a tele should.
    upload_2020-2-18_21-48-13.jpeg

17. mkdaws32

Ahh - this makes sense now - I completely misread that!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  18. StringThing68

It should be going back and forth from my AM special with Jumbo frets and this. But that kind of switch doesn't usually bother me.

Cheers!

Andy_White_83 likes this.
  19. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

I played a Vintera modified for a good while at a store the other day and loved the way it played. I owned a Baja and the neck is just like it but with a satin, worn in feel. The bridge pickup sounded fantastic and the particular butterscotch model I tried out was nice and light( probably 7lbs.)

20. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I don't have any hands-on experience with a Vintera 50's modified, but on spec it's nearly identical to the 50's Baja which is a great guitar for the money (it's the tele in my avatar). Not sure about the conversion rate, but you can get a Baja used for $600-$700(US).

I suppose the AO may be a little swankier, but for me the Baja/Vintera 50s modified is a terrific guitar and has 3 features I prefer over the AO -- (1) twisted tele neck pickup, (2) four way switch that adds Neck+Pickup in series, and (3) S1 switch to select in or out of phase settings for N+B. You may or may not want these features, but I really like having them.

StringThing68 and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.