1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintera Road Worn ‘50s Tele pickups/wiring question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jas24, Nov 28, 2020.

1. jas24

jas24 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker, despite the fact I don’t actually own a tele! But that’s changing soon - I managed to place an order with an amazing deal on a new Vintera Road Worn ‘50s Tele in Lake Placid Blue.

Not usually a relic guy, but I’ve wanted a nitro finished LPB Tele for a long time, and the latest road worn stuff looks really tastefully done, almost at custom shop level.

Anyway, it was an unplanned purchase. I was actually in the middle of acquiring parts for a partscaster, so I had already placed an order for some guitar pickups and a 5 way wiring loom from Monty’s Guitars (in the U.K.)

I’ve not had much luck finding threads on the pickups/wiring in the Roadworn ‘50s tele - Is the wiring the same as US Fender wiring with CTS pots etc?

And what are the pickups like? I found a site claiming they were custom shop pickups... and another place saying they were the same as the normal Vintera ‘50s pickups. But Fender’s own site has them as similarly named, but different pickups (Vintage Style '50s Single-Coil Hot Tele pickups in the Road Worn as opposed to Vintage Style '50s Single-Coil in the normal Vintera).

Just trying to figure out what to do with the pickups/wiring I have on order... probably don’t want to rip out custom shop pickups and top notch wiring if it’s already installed in the guitar!! Anyone have any ideas what the deal is?

Thanks for the help!

Abre likes this.
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard!

We are going to need pictures when it shows up.

Any stock tele pickup could be good or need replacing, depending on if you like it. Set height right, decide from there.

My tele is the only guitar still with original pickups I own. I've almost swapped the neck one numerous times, but haven't yet.

3. jas24

jas24 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the welcome!! Will definitely throw pictures up when it arrives... apparently the place I bought from is expecting a delivery at the end of January, so it’s going to be a long two months until it gets here - cannot wait!

The Monty’s pickups I’ve ordered are a take on a twisted tele set (modelled after the pickups Danish Pete from Andertons TV has in his purple custom shop Tele), so I know they’ll sound great! Plus the 5 way wiring opens up a couple of other tonal possibilities...

That said, I think I’ll definitely see how I get on with the stock pickups when it arrives. Just a bit conflicted on what to do with the wiring loom and pickups I’ve ordered!!

Anyway, would still love to hear from anyone who owns a Vintera Road Worn 50s - how do you get on with the pickups? And has anyone had a peak under the hood to see what the wiring is like?

4. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My RW has CTS pot and wiringis fine. It's a 2019 RW Tele. I don't think the Vintera would be any different.

I changed the pickups in mine but the rest of the wiring is fine.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  5. jas24

jas24 TDPRI Member

Thanks, that’s good to know!

Thinking I’ll wait to see how I get on with it a before tinkering with anything under the hood. The only thing I might do on day one is a white pickguard change... that said the black is growing on me every time I see a photos of it!

Also just read a review here of the new road worns on guitar.com - it’s going to be a long couple of months...

6. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

I'm also interested in the Road Worn. I have a Justin Meldal Johnson Mustang Bass that's a Mexican Road Worn and they did a fantastic job. Very authentic looking and feels great. A BSB telecaster would fit neatly into that same vintage vibe.

Can I ask where you found a great deal here in the UK? Everyone seems to be waiting for new stock, and not found anywhere that's more than £50 off the official Fender £999 price.

7. jas24

jas24 TDPRI Member

I got lucky and managed to get an amazing deal from bax-shop.co.uk.

It looks like they've now got it listed at the standard £949 price, but when I placed my order in November they had it at a really low price, and also simultaneously had a coupon for black friday. It's definitely the lowest I've ever seen a Road Worn Tele by quite a margin.

I'd never heard of them but after some googling/forum searching, they seemed legit (think someone said they were pretty similar to Thomann, but based in Holland with a UK branch.)

Anyway, whilst the price was great, it STILL hasn't turned up, and I'm now getting weekly emails saying that it's been pushed back another week. It's constantly 9 weeks away from being delivered, which is frustrating - but it looks like the Road worns are pretty much out of stock everywhere - so I'm thinking maybe it's just an issue with supply at the Fender Mexico factory

Still, I don't mind waiting for it, I don't think the price will ever be lower. But it would be nice to know when it's meant to actually turn up!

Downsman likes this.
  8. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

Sounds like you scored a good deal. The delay is at the Fender end. When I emailed Fender at the start of Jan they said it was a 12 week wait for them to get it back in stock in the UK. I assume it's the same for individual shops as it is for the Fender website.

Hopefully they'll honour the price you paid. Brexit has happened since then and the VAT rules have changed which seems to be confusing things for EU based companies delivering to the UK.

In the mean time, I'm thinking I may go a different route and put together my own Road Worn Tele partscaster. Been drooling over the photos on SCRelics website. The idea of an aged Shell Pink over Sunburst is very appealing...

9. jas24

jas24 TDPRI Member

Yeah, I got very lucky (if it ever turns up!). I'm hoping it'll be exempt from the whole post-Brexit stuff... I did pay VAT with the order last year, and because it was a uk website with a physical UK office address I'm hoping that it'll be treated as a UK-based sale (despite the parent company being based in the Netherlands). But who knows!

That's interesting... before I stumbled across the Bax Music deal, I emailed Fender about when the road worn tele's would be back in stock and the guy who got back to me didn't think it would be until the middle of 2021 at the earliest. I'm hoping you're more recent info was right! I get the impression the estimates are constantely changing with the way COVID has impacted things.

Also funnily enough I was thinking exactly the same thing - if my road worn from Bax Music doesn't turn up I might go the partscaster roadworn route too. Shell Pink over sunburst sounds pretty awesome! Think I'd probably stick with LPB for mine if the real Road Worn doesn't turn up.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will (without a request to pay the taxman even more money!)

Downsman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.