Vintera modified Teles - should I buy another?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RobDaglish, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:56 PM.

1. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

Ok, I’ve been looking at the Vintera Modified 50s and 60s Teles, and I bought the 50s modified in daphne blue. I wasn’t keen on the colour, but I liked the maple neck and the pickups better than the 60s modified, and I liked the way it plays.

now I’m wondering whether it’s feasible to buy a 60s modified, swap the neck and pickups so I’ve got the body colour I want with the neck and pickups I like, and then sell the remaining bits, either as a guitar or as parts...

Have I lost the plot, or does this seem reasonable to anyone?

nicknklv and guitarist232345 like this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That works, but you'll have two partscasters. However, Stratosphere does a pretty good business dismantling new guitars and selling the parts.
    Perhaps just check there for the neck you want.

RobDaglish likes this.
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

It seems to me that if you like the neck and pickups of your Vintera 50s Tele - it would be pretty easy to swap out the body for virtually any color you prefer.

Fender sells replacements - like this one for example - and eBay is full of sellers of finished bodies

[​IMG]

tce63 and Wobbles like this.
  4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Just realize that while some say fingerboard wood doesn't matter, many like myself hear it loud and clear and it's a major difference. So that may be what u r hearing more than pickups. If you do this you will certainly know afterwards if you hear it like i do. Rosewood boards sound looser in the low end, have more mids that sound more compressed, and don't have the snap of a maple board. Maple has bigger tighter bass with somewhat scooped high mids and snappier/clearer top end. If thats what u r hearing it's likely the board more than the pickups.

5. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

Yeah, but if I’m swapping the neck and the pickups to the new body, that shouldn’t make any difference, right?

6. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Do it, I'm having the exact same thoughts over my gibson and whether i should buy another esquire (I'll probs just buy a baja or vintera though)

7. UPtele

UPtele TDPRI Member

Yes

8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm not clear you're wanting to buy one that switch the neck out?

Remember those are the traditional radius necks, 7.25'

9. fender4life

Correct, at least in all likelihood. Sorry i misread your post but yes, if all u ar doing is keeping the 60s body chances are the difference will be minimal, at least as long as the body is about the same weight. If there's a big weight difference that will probably change the dynamics some. But i usually don't see big tonal differences between one body and the next when the wood species is the same. With necks it's more likely but still nothing like rosewood board vs maple. But u should be fine. One thing tho....why buy a vintera 60s to do this? If you just want a different color why not just buy a body from stratosphere or such? he may well even have a vintera body in the color u want. Then you could sell the current body and not lose much, definately not as much as selling the vintera you buy with your current body.

10. fender4life

No, i think he means he just wants the body from the new one because hiscurrent vintera has a color he doesn't like.

11. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

Exactly. I don’t like the daphne blue colour, but I do like the lake placid blue. I like the maple neck, but not the pau ferro. I prefer the pickups in the 50s (twisted tele and a custom shop) than the two hot shots in the 60s.

12. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I've a question about the guitars. Does the 50's modified have an ash body, and the 60's version have the alder body? If so, the difference between the body woods would explain the changes in sound, as the fingerboard makes no real difference, IMHO.

I know Fender has discontinued the Ash as a body choice due to availability in view of ash borers disease, but did you get one in advance of the discontinuation?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.