1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintera Modified 50s vs 60s: A conundrum

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ElephantCat, Jan 24, 2021.

1. ElephantCat

ElephantCat TDPRI Member

I'm in the market for another Tele and I like the versatility of the series wiring and phase switching options on these 2 models. And a satin finish on the neck is always a plus. I'd like to get a Vintera Modified, but I'm having trouble deciding between the 50s and 60s as they both have pros and cons according to my personal tastes:

- In the case of the 50s Modified, we have Custom Shop pickups, but I'm not sure about the soft V-shaped neck (I've been playing C-shaped for quite a while now - I find it an ideal depth for barre chords)

- As for the 60s Modified, we have a slightly more comfortable neck, but Pao Ferro has a bit of a stigma attached to it (poor man's rosewood?) and it lacks the Custom Shop pickups (those in the know, are the "Hot 60s" pickups inferior or just "different")?

Has anyone here had experience with both instruments? If so, which one would you get?

Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Are you able to try them both out together, A-B them?
    I had a similar trauma in choosing a 335 some years back. The shop had 3 and I played them one after the other for ages and decided I wanted the sunburst. It felt just a little more 'right' than the others. So I put down my deposit and told them I'd be back next day with the balance.
    And sure enough I went back and got...............the RED one!!!:p
    Let your fingers decide.
    Good luck and keep us posted?

Telecaster88, mimmo and ElephantCat like this.
  3. ElephantCat

ElephantCat TDPRI Member

I wish I could try them out in succession - surely the best way to compare guitars. Haven't been able to find a local store that stocks both - one store said they'd definitely be getting some new Vinteras in stock. Thing is, we have to wait till July for the next Fender shipment here in Australia. :(

Absolutely :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go 50s coz I'm ok with different necks.

But if you really want the 60s I wouldn't worry about the pau ferro. There is no logical reason not to like it. It's just a snob thing.

The Angle, howardlo and ElephantCat like this.
  5. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

This is the perfect tele in the new Vintera series 2021

2021-01-15 16-05-28.jpg

6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Don't let Pau Ferro worry you. I have a Strat with a PF board and it's one of nicest playing guitars I own. Smooth, effortless.

The main things people love the 50s Baja for are the neck and pickups. If you don't like a bigger neck, I'd lean toward the 60s. I've played a 60s Baja that my local shop has had on the wall for years. But TBH there wasn't enough there for me to wanna jump. I'm perfectly happy with my old Am Std Tele.

Just my useless thoughts.

Blues Twanger and ElephantCat like this.
  7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I was also gonna say get a rw baja is pf not your thingi also prefer rw. Pf feels drier to me

8. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

The way I see it, there's only one way to find out and be sure. You'll have to try them both. That said, if that means you have to wait until July and you think you prefer the 60s neck anyway, maybe you shoud go for that. A nice neck is important and it's easier and cheaper to change a set of pickups, if you really don't like them. Good luck!

ElephantCat likes this.
  9. Mxrk

Mxrk Tele-Meister

Yeah there’s no downside to PF. I have a 60s Baja neck with it (slab PF) and it’s not very different in feel from a satin finished maple fretboard.

10. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I build my own Tele with a 60s Baja Neck, Baja Pickups and a Olympic White Classic 60s Body

Footsore and Piggy Stu like this.
  11. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

The Pau Ferro option used to be more of a Custom Shop level thing anyhow. Don't let it bug you.

mimmo likes this.
  12. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

+1

I’ve owned 2, they’re excellent.

13. ronmail65

ronmail65 TDPRI Member

FWIW, I'm considering one of these as well (personally leaning toward the 60s). But, now I'm leaning into the Performer Series - the SH models. Yes, it's a little more expensive but I'm hoping to find a deal. Anyway... check out the features on these and see how they compare to your requirements. The necks are modern C, satin finish, 22 frets, and come in ROSEWOOD.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When a Pau board came from FCS, you could be quite sure it was some of the nicest board wood that was available.

I wouldn't be comfortable saying that, about the Pau Ferro on the MIM guitars.

Sometimes I like what I see, with this new board wood but especially with certain body colors/treatments, it isn't right. It is kinda like white whites on a Camaro - it seems wrong to the eye.

15. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I can see your point, but regarding the color I feel the same way about roasted maple in place of standard. It is premium but I don't like the look as much.

16. ElephantCat

ElephantCat TDPRI Member

OK, well, I managed to get down to the store today and, lo and behold, they had both a 50s and 60s Modified in stock. So I tried 'em out and here are the results:

Vintera 50s Modified

Pros: Great pickups, especially the Twisted Tele in the neck.
    Cons: The soft V neck is on the thick side. Not drastically so, but I've played more comfortable necks.

Vintera 60s Modified

Pros: The neck is very comfortable; the pau ferro fretboard, which I had misgivings about, turned out not to be an issue.
    Cons: The pickups, while not *bad* are thinner than the 50s mod - the 50s mod definitely has more character insofar as pickups are concerned.

So still no real winner. Starting to look at the American Pro II Series a lot more seriously now, as well.

unixfish and tce63 like this.
  17. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

To me, fingerboard wood is one of if not THE biggest influence on tone. And while pau ferro might be just fine to some, to me, when i want the rosewood board sound on a fender i'm not gonna buy anything else. Been there, done that, been sorry. But that aside, you seem to be only worried about the neck shape. Have u ever had a V? A LOT of people, myself included find them to be the most comfortable neck shape. I seek them out but usually the guitar i want doesn't have it. Lucky for me i found a tele i love thats got one and it feels like heaven. If you never had one you might want to at least see if u can find any fender with one locally and sit down with it for a while. .

18. madeyemonkey

madeyemonkey TDPRI Member

Was myself in that conundrum, but due to lack of stock, went for an American Performer SH. Came with a problem on the split coil though. And actually not happy about the fact that the humbucker is microphonic and if you hit it with the pick, makes genuine loud sound! Now I find myself in the conundrum Performer vs Vintera 60s? Any advice? Anyone experienced the humbucker issue? Thanks!

19. ElephantCat

ElephantCat TDPRI Member

I played some pretty thick-neck acoustics in my time. They suited me just fine. However, my current Tele - an MIJ Troublemaker model - has a super-comfy Modern C neck, and it may just have ruined me when it comes to thick-necked guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.