Vintera Mod 50s roasted Tele neck?

Ignatius

Friend of Leo's
Got mine. Profile feels nice, seems decently made, grain isn't hideous. Will likely keep it. And the roasted maple looks surprisingly decent with the butterscotch finish of my old '94 52RI workhorse.

But holy smokes the fingerboard his a thick glossy finish on it. Way overdone and unnecessarily so. Any suggestions for knocking that shine down a bit without it becoming being a project in itself (I like to play guitars more than work on them)? 0000 steel wool maybe? Would that harm the frets?

Ignatius

Friend of Leo's
Well, it's going back. Just noticed that the fret dot markers are off center between the frets, enough to be quite noticeable once you see it. I'm surprised actually - I had the impression that Fender's MIM quality control was much better than this. Pretty disappointing.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
Got mine. Profile feels nice, seems decently made, grain isn't hideous. Will likely keep it. And the roasted maple looks surprisingly decent with the butterscotch finish of my old '94 52RI workhorse.

But holy smokes the fingerboard his a thick glossy finish on it. Way overdone and unnecessarily so. Any suggestions for knocking that shine down a bit without it becoming being a project in itself (I like to play guitars more than work on them)? 0000 steel wool maybe? Would that harm the frets?

Interesting that they would put a gloss finish on a roasted maple neck. How fat is the profile? I would just leave it on and see how it feels when it's assembled and you're playing first.

Well, it's going back. Just noticed that the fret dot markers are off center between the frets, enough to be quite noticeable once you see it. I'm surprised actually - I had the impression that Fender's MIM quality control was much better than this. Pretty disappointing.

That's a bummer - even though it's just cosmetic. But yea, for $350 I don't blame you. How's the neck feel/sound otherwise?

takauya

Tele-Meister
Soft V feels thin compared to fat C or U if depth is the same. And, what Fender calls soft V varies A TON. There are degrees of V-ness and they call them all soft V. Also, they make nut width 41mm - 43mm for the same model. I'm trying to find another Baja neck similar to the size of mine for 2 years, to no avail.
Thanks to your great QC Fender!

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic
I hear ya. I became a compound radius fan when i got my 2014 Deluxe Tele's. Those Corona necks are a thing of beauty, and won me over, for the comfort i felt. They are not thin, more modern c shape. Past a certain point, thin is not for me.

Out of your choices, that is one i would experiment with, pending actually feeling the neck(shoulders count!) on the far right...also for the baked maple thing, i've never owned one.
I’m totally with you on that. The guitar in my avatar is a ‘13 American Deluxe Thinline with that neck and it is still my favorite out of four different profiles that I own.
Never seen that neck available for sale though.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 938062
L to R:

Vintera ‘50s Modified, Roasted Maple
Soft V, Med Jumbos, 9.5” radius, measures 0.89” @ the 1st fret

Deluxe Nashville, Maple
Modern C, Med Jumbos, 12” radius, measures 0.85” @ the 1st fret

Player Plus Nashville, Pau Ferro
Modern C, Med Jumbos, 12” radius, measures 0.83” @ the 1st fret

Warmoth Tele, Roasted Maple
Standard Thin, 6150s, 10-16” compound radius, measures 0.79” @ the 1st fret
very nice assortment of necks with measurements .... looks like you are all set to make the build of your choice

stilesg57

Tele-Holic

I’ll be taking a Brillo pad to mine. Seem to be easier on the frets than steel wool.

Donnie55

Tele-Afflicted
Lousy pic`s but.. I put it on this Esquire build..

Attachments

• tele20220122_102001.jpg
    tele20220122_102001.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 25

MichelB

TDPRI Member
I like my 50's mod roasted neck a lot!

However I didn't like the satin neck and the fretboard ends.

Some scothbrite and polish fixed the backside of the neck, rolling the edges with file and sanding paper fixed the latter.

The profile is great!
20211201_191921.jpg