1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintera '60s Modified - LPB + Tortoise content

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tele_paul, Apr 15, 2021.

1. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

I needed to clean and oil the very dry Pau Ferro fretboard on my new Telecaster, so I took the opportunity to make a couple other changes as well....I consider them "upgrades" anyway (cue the guys who prefer the original Mint pg lol).

The main problem I was having was the long saddle height adjustment screws. I palm mute sometimes and obviously it was uncomfortable....even left ground up skin dust stuck to the screw haha. I replaced the long screws with shorter set screws and it's much more comfortable now.

The mint guard was ok (I know it's period correct to the '60s) but since this is a modified Tele anyway i figured I'd mod it exactly how I want it. Just before the tortoise I had black and it looked very good as well. The tortoise one fits better though, and it's the look I'm going for, for now. It's got a lot of orange in it, but it has a real celluloid layer and was less than $10 shipped....can't really complain too much. Thankfully, the orange kinda matches and ties in with the orange tint of the headstock.

Only "problem" (not really a problem) is the 2 empty holes for the pickup adjustment screws. I knew it wasn't an exact match when I bought it, but the price was just too good. I thought about dummying up something to cover the holes (screw heads maybe) but I might just leave it, I think it's looks fine tbh. Besides, i found I could fit a narrow screwdriver in the holes to reach the body mount screws to adjust height....no need to remove the pg....too bad they stripped one of the screwheads in the factory!

Anyway, here's how she turned out:

Flash Off:
    [​IMG]

Flash On:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I love tort on blue! Very nice!

tele_paul likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

That’s a nice red/brown/blonde tort. It looks great on the blue.

IMadeYouReadThis and tele_paul like this.
  4. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

Thanks guys! ;)

There was a time I didn't like tort at all, but now that I'm older I think it's awesome. My change in pickguard taste seems to coincide with my recent interest in Country music (last 2-3 years).

Killing Floor and 68Telebass like this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

That's one of the best-looking teles I've ever seen! I love the way the guard ties in with the fretboard and headstock. Very nicely done!

tele_paul likes this.
  6. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Another member of the Order of the Tort!!!

Scepters, Robes, secret handshakes and kitties wearing neckties to follow...:cool:
    C708E4FD-1363-47B3-9622-E41EC9EC8539.jpeg
    Tort Rules- that looks great!!

7. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

Wow, thanks for the kind words! My gf was the first to point out how the pickguard colors tie into the fretboard and headstock. I lucked out on the tint of the neck....most aren't quite as dark.

"Order of the Tort" - lol, I love that! Heck yeah, I'm in! Thanks for the kind words. And that cat is my hero ;)

8. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

That cat was a Maine Coon named Hank who ran for US Senate in Virginia in 2012...he came in third with a strong write-in presence!!
    https://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/09/hank-the-cat-places-third-in-virginia-senate-race/

I got the T-Shirt, and a few bumper stickers- one ended up on one of my bass cases. B016F118-CAC1-4C10-B547-89F7F94C36DF.jpeg

Order of the Tort is one of the gathering threads over on TalkBass. We bass players adore our tort (some do hate it though). I’m in the tort camp, and have a tort guard already to go on my surf green Bullet Tele!

tele_paul likes this.
  9. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

lmao that's hilarious! I would've definitely voted for Hank.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Much better!

tele_paul likes this.
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

That looks great with the lpb.

tele_paul likes this.
  12. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I kinda prefer the way the mint looks with the blue if I'm only looking at the body, but the fretboard looks about a hundred times better with the tort! Good choice.

tele_paul likes this.
  13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yep - lovin’ the tort on LPB here as well!

tele_paul likes this.
  14. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Looks great!

I just got a LPB 60s Modified also and really nice. One thing on mine though is the pickups advertised as
    "hot" are just vintage output. I could tell especially on the bridge pickup by ear but confirmed this by
    measuring the DCR at 6.66K. I have a Lollar Special T bridge pickup here so will put that in.

tele_paul likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.