Vintera 50's Telecaster Review

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Corvus, Jul 16, 2019.

1. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Thank you for the review!

jonzer likes this.
  2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I played a few of the same ones in Fiesta red and agree with you that they are great Teles that certainly deliver a vintage Tele sound and vibe.I love the round fat neck with the full shoulders.Fiesta red is nice but not the color I'd go for personally but the 2 tone sunburst option is gorgeous(like my 58 reissue in my profile pic).Congratulations on yours!!

gwjensen likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Congrats!

Fender's MIM guitars have been awesome instruments for some time now. I'm not surprised that the VInteras are just as good. I enjoy my MIM Fenders just as much as my MIA Fenders.

I'm sure nothing has changed with their production in Ensenada, with the Vinteras, Fender just tweaks a couple of minor specs, changes a couple of colors, renames the guitars and calls them a "whole new line of guitars". (And, ahem, increases prices.)

That's the way you drum up renewed excitement over guitars that have been relatively unchanged for almost 70 years.

And I'm glad Fender is keeping build quality up and working hard to keep bringing us interesting new variations!

Imagine if they changed nothing, year, after year, after year. :eek: :lol:

RadioFM74 likes this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Yes the 50s strat is the only Vintera I’ve tried so far and it is definitely on my “got to have one” list. That, or a used AV56 if it comes around… but the Vintera blonde strat competes with the AV – it’s that good. Or that, at least, was my impression.

gwjensen and cbh5150 like this.
  5. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

I've just done my personal preference setup on mine. Yes it's a pain having to take off the neck and guess the tweak for the truss rod, which works pretty well considering the neck is chunky. I've never liked taking off Fender necks but it went back perfectly with no misalignment. Probably, when the warranty runs out I'll cut a small channel between the neck pickup and the neck pocket so all you have to do is lift the pickguard, drop the neck pickup maybe and, using an angled screwdriver you can adjust with the strings at pitch.
    Personally I don't like too much relief in the neck as it seems to me to cause problems at the top end so I go for slight relief - almost straight and raise the bridge saddles. That way I've got the action pretty low and it plays well far up. Neck is so true I can just get a 1.5mm plectrum under the first string at the 12th fret. Tweaking the saddle heights I've got it to where I can do reasonable bends without choking and its a joy to play.

gwjensen and RadioFM74 like this.
  6. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Nice review! A real bummer they coat all the Vintera in poly rather than lacquer while eliminating lacquer options from the lineup...

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The Road Worns are supposed to be coming back as limited run models for 2020 - it wouldn't surprise me to see Fender also do limited runs of Vinteras in the lacquer finish at some point. If you recall the Classic Lacquer versions didn't show up until the last few years of the Classic Series run, and they were essentially limited run models (Fender typically did one color per year, and they didn't do that many of them per year).

8. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Ya I heard as much on the RW; glad they'll still be around now and then, just sad to hear they are removing lacquer as a standard option. To your point though, they already were pretty scarce before...

9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Seems like a good deal, i think they are worth the price. One thing that i dislike is 1 ply warping pickguard. rest is epic

gwjensen likes this.
  10. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

I really loved the one I tried out..

And I gave it hell on a fully gained out Marshall DSL...it had THE tone!! Sounded like a pissed off Les Paul!

gwjensen and orangeblossom like this.
  11. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have one on the way. Will post pics upon arrival.

gwjensen likes this.
  12. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I've been picking for almost 40 myself, and never understood that myself. I love the almost fiddle-feel an old Fender fingerboard can get with the thinner frets.[auto-correct edit]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    orangeblossom and gwjensen like this.
  13. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

I want to love theses guitars ! I got the Vintera modified 50's Telecaster in Daphne blue... and after one week... I'm very happy with the sound... But half happy with craftsmanship. The body is perfect and gorgeous ! The problem is the neck. Frets ends show thick spots of amber lacquer or Glue ? Not sure. And some gap under frets are not filled. I checked with my other Fenders and they are all perfect on that point. Even my Mexican Duo Sonic ! I don't know if I should return it or try to fix it. That means fill the Gap under the Tang on a finished neck and file the end frets to remove that thick stuff.
    Philosophical question : should I fix a brand new 1299$ Canadian Fender Guitar or just return it for an exchange (my dealer is willing to send it back to Fender and provide me a new one).

orangeblossom likes this.
  14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Fiesta Red is great, but I think it looks best of 60's strats and P basses with a tortoise shell pickguard.

15. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I like Fiesta red with a Rosewood fretboard and mint green pickguard for a Strat or Tele.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I replaced the warping Mex pickguard on my 50s Classic, with a US white 1-ply guard I got at Darren Riley's and it was drilled to fit as it should. I don't think the Mex 1-ply guards are very good.

17. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Congrats! Great guitar. Just got the very same one today! I’ll need to write it up later. What sold me right off the bat was the neck.

18. Tele Sevalas

Tele Sevalas TDPRI Member

35887FBE-2621-4CD9-A988-5B6E0770F726.jpeg BDF59920-8A10-4530-A32E-AB9DA3678672.jpeg I had to have one! Stunning Tele!

gwjensen, mimmo and Fendereedo like this.
  19. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

20. Tele Sevalas

Tele Sevalas TDPRI Member

Just a chickin’ pickin’ son of a gun!
    You ought to get yerself a Tele or two son!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.