Vintera 50’s tele modified

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twofingerlou, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

In my quest and tele shopping I stumbled across the guitar mentioned above and I’m kinda in love with the color, Daphne blue.

Little different specs than the performer I’ve originally planned on. Still has the 9.5 radius but with a soft v neck. Honestly can’t say I’ve played with anything with that neck profile. As usual I know go to the store and try one, limited quantities and all that I’m trying to figure out if a guitar center around me has one.

For the price point on this there’s not much of a difference compared to its American made counter part. Appears the Vintera has a four way switch.

Is there really that much of a difference with a soft v compared to a deep c like on my player strat? Are these “higher end” Mexican guitars a lot better than the player series lineup, in terms of fit/finish/quality?

Sorry for the numerous questions and threads, the older I get the more I like to weigh out my options and ask folks in the know better than myself.

Greggorios and Telecaster88 like this.
  2. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Just to be clear, are you comparing a Vintera 50s modified Telecaster with the American Performer Telecaster?

3. Twofingerlou

Wasn’t what I was getting at, but if you want to go down that road go ahead.

4. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

In my experience, other than the Custom Shop '51 Nocaster, the Vintera / Baja Classic Player soft V neck is one of the nicest telecaster neck profiles released by Fender. I'm big on chunky neck profiles, so of course, I am biased that way.

In terms of build quality, the upper-end MIM is certainly better than entry-to-mid level USA models. I am a player who much prefers part-built guitars versus off-the-shelf because I've like been able to cherry-pick parts to get the performance I want in an instrument. However, upper-end MIM pretty much gets me 90% of the way if I had to scrap my collection of parts-casters and start all over again.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

You wouldn't want to clarify just what "performer" you are comparing it to then?

6. Twofingerlou

I believe you get what your pay for until a certain point. Is it easier to hang your thumb over on a soft v compared to a deep c neck per say?

7. Twofingerlou

Two single coils, I’ve been eyeing the vintage white ole for a long time.

8. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Not exactly sure I agree with this take as a rule of thumb--Ensenada makes some great stuff but I've had nothing but good experiences with stuff from Fender USA. Is MIM build quality better per dollar? Probably, but at risk of making this into another MIM vs. MIA thread, I'll digress. I would stress that going into a $1,000+ purchase with the thinking that MIM will certainly be better built might lead to some buyer's remorse down the road.

I will say this, except for the Bajas (which this is the current version of), you'll always, always be better off resale-wise with the American.

I've played a number of the Vinteras, and while they were very, very good, all of the Am. Professionals and Performers I've played have been great. As always, though this does boil down to whether you want the vintage feel/vibe. As others have said, it has a lot of features and styling that you wont get until the $2k American Originals.

Ydwen Jones and Twofingerlou like this.
  9. blujaz1

blujaz1 TDPRI Member

Give a quick look at Fender Japan Traditional 50's series. Check the youtube reviews. It's not nitro finish but is thin finish that I can live with. The quality is outstanding. I just got a 60s series and couldn't be happier. This is coming from an old guy that has owned every imaginable incarnation of a tele (custom shops, Mexican, American, boutique). I'm getting older and just want to play music without messing with guitars all the time. This one's a keeper. No need for pickup changes. A small set up after arrival and good to go. Just a thought.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  10. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Broken Record Take from me: I don't differentiate MIA vs MIM current production on quality anymore, the facilities are so close and so highly integrated it doesn't matter which side of the border they are on as far as results. The bulk of difference will be the spec and the time spent on fretwork. The current MIMs have great fretwork, the MIAs are excellent in that regard. I haven't seen the rough ends that others mention and I have had over two dozen Player Series or Vinteras across my workbench. It's almost as if an old complaint about Mexican Standards setup (or not) at big box retailers has just been repeated so much folks apply it to the newer MIM guitars. Internet echo for the win.

My Player Series guitar, a Lead III, came out of the box better than the American Series Strat I bought new in 2000 and I have a Vintera 50s (not the Modified) inbound as we speak that will live alongside an American Pro Tele and a Fullteron-made G&L Legacy with no worries.

Crawldaddy and Twofingerlou like this.
  11. Twofingerlou

I’m not gonna trip over the made one America or Mexico aspect. My thing is spending that much money I’m about the quality, of the Americans are that much better then I’ll go that route.

12. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I would say quality for dollar is skewed towards the Vintera, the American models get you more features primarily and a very, very small bump in quality.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  13. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I think I am slightly biased towards the upper-end MIM stuff mainly because the Vintera, and the Classic Player series that came before, do align themselves with the vintage feel/vibe compared to the more modern aspects of the American Standard/Special/Professional/Performer etc series which, while broadly fantastic in quality, I have had some rather less-than-happy experiences in terms of build quality and also tonally where the pickups are concerned.

I would just also say, that I don't think resale value was in the mind of the OP, but of course, is a valid point downstream, especially if one buys second hand and has a need to flip it in the event the guitar doesn't have the right feel.

I agree 100% with this. That said, I literally just closed a deal on a Fender Japan JM66 that is pretty much perfect in terms of build quality, once you get over the vintage radius and quirks of the bridge design.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.