Vintage WRHB Validation

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Grant Austin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

I have been scoping out this 72 Thinline Telecaster: https://reverb.com/item/28043883-1972-fender-thinline-telecaster

Most of the pictures I've found of 72/73 WRHBs have a datestamp. A few have been blank, but look corroded to the point I believe they're ~45 year old pickups. The ones on that listing are signed and look super clean.

The seller says this is the way the earliest of those pickups were marked. I'm not doubting it, just looking for supporting information.

TIA,
    Grant

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I don’t know when you saw the listing but it says people have asked about their authenticity and there are examples to be seen on the internet this could be a red flag or true
    Unfortunately I don’t know anything about wide range humbuckers someone here must know
    Now I’m gonna search the web for evidence

3. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Way too many flags for that kind of money.

If the rest of the guitar were legit a refin would cut the cost by half. Besides since it’s refinished you can’t really tell if the body is original. Just to be a jerk I’d ask to see the receipt from MJT. Peeling all that poly wouldn’t be cheap.

IMO there is no way those pickups are close to almost 50 years old. The Emerson harness would void most claims of originality. Something as simple as reflowed sodder on vintage pots would cause suspicion.

At best it might have a vintage neck. Though, I haven’t researched that much but I don’t remember ever seeing neck stamps with a month and year.

Finally, any ad with iPhone screen shots gets automatically disqualified (see last pick of neck plate and the serial number).

My Tele is nether a 72 or a thin line. But here are some photos.

77A66BFC-F112-4794-B059-4A81A01ED26C.jpeg 3B688C4F-117A-419D-8627-300D70125754.jpeg

(Full disclosure they are screenshots from the Reverb ad the I purchased it from - but at least I cropped them. )

4. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

All of the Thinlines/WRHB guitars that I owned or played had thinish necks. This guy says the neck is FAT but then neglects to show any shots of the back of the neck or headstock which would also show us the Questioned tuners. Needs to tighten this ad up.
    BTW the '72 thinline I have now has the stamped numbers like the pic above. Might be the same digits.

5. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Gonna keep digging for info.

Original WRHB pickups themselves go for a great deal and are the real reason I want one of these.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.