Vintage verses modern - am I wrong about this?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Kmaxbrady, Jun 12, 2021.

1. turfdoc

turfdoc Tele-Meister

A neck that fits your hands, and pickups that produce the tones you want...everything else is gravy. Now if resale is your goal, remember how used car salesmen make their living....

2. whetherkings

whetherkings Tele-Meister

There are so many broad views on this subject - perspectives on old wood vs. new wood, the quality of the parts etc. In my experience you get good and bad guitars both vintage and modern. Just trust your ears and how it feels to play. If the planets align then you have a great guitar - doesn’t matter whether it’s old or new.

aadvark and sax4blues like this.
  3. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

I have three comments:

Vintage guitars and tweed amps "sound better" because their sound defined what "sounds good" means. Late '50's Les Pauls and pre-CBS Fenders have the tone that guitars are judged by to this day.

A modern guitar, well crafted from good materials is every bit as good as a vintage guitar. Quite a few Made in Japan guitars from the '80's and '90's are every bit as good as the very best of pre-CBS Fender.

How good a guitar is, meaning tone, playing, looks, has zero to do with monetary value. Lots of partscasters you can't sell for $200 are demonstrably better instruments than $50,000 1951 Esquires.

aadvark and stormin1155 like this.
  4. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

The EJ Strat has some really great features. Definitely a great buy for the money.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  5. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

None of my guitars are the "sought after" vintage models. I have a 47 yr old Strat, a 42 yr old LP Custom, a 38 yr old Strat among my collection, and I would let them go for anything.

6. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Here is another way to look at the same question :)

How would you expect someone to describe a guitar that they just paid $25,000 or $30,000 bucks for ;).

7. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Holic

super annoying thread in the wrong forum.
    I come to this forum to share my love of pre-'74 Telecasters.

Nothing wrong with folks having opinions, just don't really need it here. It would be like me going to the CS forum and presenting very longwinded arguments why they are not worth it, etc etc.

sorry, annoyed.

8. wavytech

wavytech TDPRI Member

Took a trip to the Fender factory in Corona maybe five years ago. I was expecting to see shining rows of computer controlled machinery, but instead found it to be a very large woodshop filled with mostly middle-aged workers who seemed content to do their job. The CNC machine was on the front-end of the line, but after that most of the work was manually running polishing machines, metal finishing, and the paint shop. At the end of the line the tour guide, who was (of course) also a bar band guitar player extraordinaire, told us that the professional players in the tour group (about half) who don't have scratch for a custom shop model should want to play a AVRI 52 blackguard Tele. This is because a master guitar builder-in-training builds these guitars. They personally select the woods from the yard and oversee every step of the production, including the all-important neck level and crown and setup. From this position they can join the custom shop.

Jump back to 1990: I was in my local guitar store looking for THAT Stratocaster; the first one was great, the next one was great, all of them were great. This is when I knew that CNC had turned the corner on buying guitars. Before this I would be lucky to find any well-made resonant guitars. Later I had picked up a Gibson Les Paul for $1300 used but never really liked or played so I sold it for $1700. Just picked up a fantastic Epiphone Les Paul for $350 today that is more resonant, great pickups, better in every way. It just goes to show, it's always something.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I love vintage guitars and have since the '70s when normal working folks could afford to actually own them.

If the durn mythology about them that drives well funded collectors to pay as much as a house for a single guitar would calm down, I could again afford to own them.

So I have no problem with wealthy buyers chilling out on the prices they pay, if some of them pay that much assuming we love the old ones because Fender and Gibson forgot how to make a good guitar.
    Or whatever reasons they pay that much money?
    Speculation on the market?
    Damn, buy gold or bitcoin guys!

I have antiques and collectibles of all sorts, started collecting old stuff as a kid and learned to fix old stuff.
    Bummer that the $$ collector $$ market basically stole my right to own old guitars.

That's what I find annoying.
    Same thing with vintage amps.
    The gear I love as a player was stolen from me by collectors.

This thread and the collector market doesn't seem to be hurting YOU?
    If you WANT buyers to keep paying more and more for old guitars?
    It's players like ME that are hurt by the ridiculous value granted to old guitars.

My posts reflect years of repairing those old guitars and sifting through which parts contain the actual musical mojo.
    Like most antique tools, it comes down to science more than mythology.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    takauya likes this.
  10. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Choosing a guitar is a musical decision. It's easy to observe that well respected players put a lot of effort into their equipment to get the sound they want.

11. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Holic

yep, I find that annoying too.
    I'm not rich, I don't own a house or have any assets. But I'm lucky enough to have a few old guitars..
    they bring me joy every day, as I eek out my miserable musician's living.

_Presto_ and Blackmore Fan like this.
  12. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Holic

Absolutely correct!

Modern construction methods far surpass the primitive efforts of the past.

Looking at fiddles, for example, those ancient Strads and Guarneris made over three hundred years ago; total garbage.[/QUOTE]
    Right, but those violins were made by masters, who had years of experience, and the combined learning of previous generations. The solid body electric guitars built in the 50s were brand new, and even experienced luthiers at the time were the first to build such a thing.

13. _Presto_

_Presto_ Tele-Meister

I’ll admit I’m pretty annoyed too.

I’m in a similar boat to you…just a player who loves and uses old guitars for writing and recording, and for whom these (two) guitars represent most of my net worth!

Not rich, not a collector, not a dentist, not someone trying to justify an expensive purchase I knew nothing about.

I thought this forum was for peeps like me but I guess not. Going to go a play my Esquire now….suggest you whip out that blackguard if you can! :)

aadvark likes this.
  14. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

To me, any comment like "this doesn't belong here" is superfluous, but I won't get that far to use the word "annoyed" and let it spoil my mood. I'd skip it.

15. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Holic

thanks.

16. jrbass62

jrbass62 TDPRI Member

I've had vintage guitars/basses. Bingo on the people running the price of vintage up to idiocy. The materials of that day were Plastic/bakelite, zinc didn't last like some today. And cnc building gives you the same exact piece repeatedly. Hopefully you won't have to sell your house to have your young guitar dream...

17. jrbass62

jrbass62 TDPRI Member

The players have definitely got better.. Why you think they freaked at Hendrix ?

18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Because it was a new style. That doesn't make it better or worse.

19. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

The problem with answering this type of question is that there isn’t “a” vintage guitar and “a” modern guitar. They are all different. I had a ‘64 Strat; nice guitar, but not “the one.” I had a ‘74 Precision bass and it was outstanding. I have a ‘73 Gibson Recording Les Paul that is also outstanding. For any year you’ll find some winners and some losers.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. 63strat63

63strat63 TDPRI Member

Thank you so much for setting me straight.:) In that link, Bill was talking about Alnico 5 magnets. Does the same hold for the Alnico 3 magnets that are actually in my pickups?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.