Vintage tuners, top E

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spenno, Apr 11, 2019.

1. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

I’ve never been fond of the vintage tuners on my AVRI 64, but I’ve got used to them... or so I thought. The last four top E (10s) I’ve tried to put in all seem like they’re tuning to pitch the slip out and I’m left with a sorry bent end that’s even harder to anything with. I end up using the B (13) in instead which works first time which is ok as an emergency but not ideal. I do them all the same, snipping the string two notches longer than needed, dropping it in the hole all the way down, looping it round once then tuning up. Works on all other strings first time. Any tips for the 10? Loop twice?

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You must be doing something wrong.
    Never had a problem with stringing vintage tuners,they are the easiest tuners to string.
    Go on YouTube in order to understand how to properly use them.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

You can do a self locking wrap on old-style tuners, instead of going down the center of the post. I usually do that with mine, at least on the plain strings. (Click on the picture to blow it up.)

[​IMG]

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Splits are the best tuners known to man, at least according to me lol. But I've had the high E slip on Jazzmasters for some reason. I insert as normal, but loop around half a post once now, just on the high E.

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

This is what I do too - works like a charm.

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I find you need to leave the high E quite a bit longer — at least an inch longer than recommended.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You just stick the string in the hole, give it a light bend and wind it on. No need for wraps, loops or knots, braids, welding etc. Take the string a little further length wise than the previous two to allow for it being thinner. Try for 4 plus windings.

Keep the string under tension with your thumb and first finger pressing down with your finger as you wind. Line the hole up with the groove at about 2 oclock so it can grab the string at the bend.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    nvilletele, nojazzhere and spenno like this.
  8. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

Yes, they do it just as I have described, which is where I saw the technique.

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hold it down with the thumb of your right hand and wind the tuner with your left hand. I always use a longer length, and hold it down right in front of the tuner. I had problems with the string slipping out the first couple of times I used the slotted tuners, but you just have to get a couple of winds on it before you release your thumb; I've been doing it this way since 1980. Since I use .009s I do this for the B string also. Just restrung my American Performer Mustang (with those new "ClassicGear" slotted tuners) over the weekend with no issues - well at least with the tuners; that is a funky bridge to work with - first guitar I've had with slotted tuners since I sold my Lead II in 2015 (and I probably hadn't restrung the Lead since 2013 - I only played it 3-4 times a year by 2015 and kept it far longer than necessary for sentimental reasons).

spenno likes this.
  10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I bend a little ‘V’ in the end of the string with the angle just slightly larger than the tuner hole for both the E and B strings, using 10-46 strings. You only need maybe 1/4” of the string to be a V, at most. Push that in, wind with your thumb or finger holding down the wraps and all is good. I’ve done this for many years.

11. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I'll give it another go and allow a bit extra for the E before snipping this time.

12. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

This every time!
    I always had string slippage on Strats and Teles till someone told me this trick. I go a little bit longer than 1/4", usually 10 or 11mm whatever that converts to in bits of an inch.
    Never had another problem since I've been doing this.

13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I just use 3 posts, not 2, past the tuner on the B and E strings. No bending, knots or anything else, I've never had one slip yet.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can you post a video of yourself doing it? Like others have said, easiest (and best, in my opinion) tuners ever.

15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Here's how I do it:
    -Capo new string at 2nd fret
    -Measure three fingers past the slot and cut
    -push the string in the well and crimp - take it out and crimp it all the way - put it back in the well
    -hold the string down tightly with your finger at the bottom of the tuner
    -pull the string taut on the bridge side of the capo while keeping your finger pressed down at the tuner, this will keep it from popping up as you turn
    -wind

after writing it down here it seems like a lot of instructions - but it's very easy and always works.

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

My string change tool is a small pair of needle nose pliers with cutters. I put in a sharp bend a little more acute than a right angle, then cut to length. Very reliable. If I tried to put in that bend just using the tuning post holes, I had problems sometimes. Have to use the pliers to get a sharp enough bend every time.

SheldonP likes this.
  17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I don't cut the e string. I just put the end into the hole until it touches the bottom, bend it, pull it out and make the bend into a V, put it back in, and wind it. The extra wraps prevent slippage.

AAT65 likes this.
  18. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Same as others have said, I go 2 posts past and that seems to work for me. I've never understood why they don't use these tuners anymore.

19. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I don't cut the high E string..Use it all..Once I start the wrap I keep tension on it..Never had a problem..

LutherBurger likes this.
  20. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

I've had many, many telecasters with the Kluson type safety tuners and never have had a problem with any of them... except one. It does the exact thing that you are describing on the high E. I think the edge between the safety slot and the round part of the tuner shaft is more rounded over instead of a sharp defined cut. Even with bending a v in the string as I always do doesn't help. On that guitar, I just do the over/ under self locking wrap like I would on a non split post tuner.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.