Vintage Traynor YGM-3 vs. Fender Tweed Blues Jr.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by seanmarshall9, Dec 14, 2016.

1. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

After numeral volume complaints from bandmates and soundguys alike, I decided to sell my Mexican Fender Blues Dlx.

Craving the focused Tweed sound, I set out to replace it with a LE Tweed Blues Jr. I know and have met so many working and professional musicians that praise this as their go-to, for its great sound and practicality that I have come to revere and want this amp for a while.

On the way to check one out, I ran into a Vintage '73 Traynor YGM-3 for the same price- $450. This thing was cool. It had that Funky Vintage vibe, ptp wiring, 20 watts, and sounded awesome, a lot like an EL84'd Deluxe Reverb. Didn't love the awkward and bulky size, or the short but wide sounding Reverb, but it had an incredible sounding Trem and was a Vintage ptp tube amp for less than $500.

I ended up getting the Blues JR. for practicalities sake- I can play it in so many more situations (studio, stage, bedroom), they are dime-a-dozen for replacement and repairs, easier to tote, and it's just a classic sound. I also have a Supa-Trem that doesn't necessarily warrant the Traynor's Trem. But my bass player won't let me live this down- I passed up a cool vintage amp for an amp I can get anywhere, anytime, he says.

I know it comes down to taste, but I can't help thinking about that Traynor. Does anyone have any scoops on this YGM-3 that I haven't seen on this forum? Did I make a big mistake passing up a Vintage ptp tube amp for a dime-a-dozen Mexican made Fender? Let me have it.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I don't have an inside scoop on or personal experience with the Traynor, but my opinion is that you should see about getting the Traynor and getting rid of the Blues Junior. Not that the Traynor will give you the tweed sound you're seeking, but, dang, a 20 watt point-to-point vintage Traynor with a 12" speaker for that price! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news--or at least an opinion that you might not like. But you did ask... Maybe folks who know this amp better than I do will disagree with me and make you feel better. :)

zook and mitchfinck like this.
  3. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

YGM-3s are sweet. Open the back, speaker to taste (C.Rex) ..... I have a '73.

mitchfinck likes this.
  4. Rezblues

Rezblues Tele-Meister

The traynors are wicked!!!Beats the hell out of a blues JR!!!And now that Traynor died last year!!those amps are going up in price

mitchfinck likes this.
  5. Rezblues

Rezblues Tele-Meister

And yes...you made a mistake...live and learn i guess!!!!!!

6. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted

I would pick the Traynor over a Blues Jr any day. Hand wired non-PCB and built like a tank.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had one and didn't really like the sound. I had an amp guy go over it, put in a Celestion Vintage 30, and still didn't like it. Maybe if I had left the back off I'd a liked it better. Bottom line is an amp is worth nothing (yeah, yeah, of course you can sell it so it's worth something) unless you like its sound.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Let's see. (A) You found an amp that has the sound you want, the features you need, and works for you in all the settings you use it.

(B) But it's not "point to point" or "vintage". So you are contemplating getting rid of the amp that works for you in favor of an amp that won't do what you need, has features you don't need, and is not as convenient a size or form-factor. Near as I can tell it also doesn't have a master volume (which it seems like you really need given the volume complaints that prompted your quest).

I'm sorry, only on an internet gear forum would multiple people tell you you made a mistake on (A) and need to proceed to (B). IMO of course.

9. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

Totally agree, you got an amp you like the sound of, like the size of, and works for you in regards to practicalities and is under a warranty for the next 5 years. Sounds to me like you got the right amp for the job at hand. Owning one amp over another because it's "Hand Wired" is a romantic gear-head notion IF it's in an amp that doesn't otherwise tick the boxes for your everyday usage, taste, playing and requirements. Unless of course it's a collecting driven or investment purchase, or you are concerned with increasing value down the track if deciding to sell. If the amp ticks the other boxes then that's a different story.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    PBO Blues likes this.
  10. seanmarshall9

Thanks for the responses. I have heard all these points in my head back and forth for days on end.

I do think it is easy to get caught up in the appointments we all consider admirable (ptp, vintage).

I am not going to break my bond with my Tweed box just yet, not at least until I gig with it and see how I like it live, a setting I have found to reveal almost totally new characteristics of an amp, or any instrument for that matter.

11. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Traynor !

canada-flag-animated-gif-67.gif

Prefix, Rezblues, Tone Chase and 2 others like this.
  12. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I have a 1976 YGM3 for my basement studio. It is an awesome amp for that purpose, for me. I have 15 or more amps at this time. Mine was thoroughly gone through by Dean Zink, which makes it even sweeter.

Don't beat yourself up on this. If you can only afford one, or a few amps; they have to be ones that check all the boxes. It is all about how you actually use what you own. A workhorse amp is just that. A trophy amp could be a workhorse, but smaller, reliable, cutting through the mix, and lighter is where it is at, for most of us these days if you actually gig.

13. Rezblues

Rezblues Tele-Meister

2 months from now you will be modding it..Trust me...BillM mods make it a killer

14. seanmarshall9

LOL I just came on here to read about speakers and ran into BillM mods when I saw your post. So I might do it in less than 2.

I had a Cannabis Rex in my Bl Dlx that I loved and I wanted to see thoughts on how the Jensen breaks in.

15. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Just put a CRex in mine, sounds flippin huuuuuuge. It's worth ten modern Fender amps.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the C Rex is love-it-or-hate-it. I initially loved it. Then I fell out of love. If you want big clean sounds, it is nearly impossible to beat. It doesn't perform as well for overdriven sounds. You can hear it "laboring" and feel it being "ponderous". Not like wonderful, chewy, speaker compression. Actually laboring. This is all IMO and with a well broken-in C-Rex (actually several) that I gigged a ton. FWIW. Oh, one other thing. The C-Rex is 3.5db more sensitive than the Jensen. I think that will make your amp effectively twice as loud? I forget the formula. But a lot louder. So if part of what you are trying to do is be less loud, the C-Rex won't help the effort.

Oh, and I don't understand the Bill M mods thing. A stock BJR is what it is. If you are going to spend a bunch of money and time modding it into something else, why not get something else? You can mod the crap out of it and you still have an EL84 amp in a tiny, cramped cab. Stock was good enough for Brian Henneman to play (and rock the crap out of) all over the word for a decade or more. YMMV.

17. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I had an absolutely mint, still like new 1972 YGM3....it was a DR killer. An Emi Texas Heat did the trick....only issue was I am not a Blackface Fender fan...I dig the tweeds and Browns. So I sold it. Great pedal machine...clean, scooped, and bright. Great verb and term, if you dig BF tones.

18. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

I am conscious that it may not be really helpful since I’m a complete fan of vintage Traynor, my first one, a Bass Mate YBA-2 cube combo, was bought new in 1966.

Over the years I acquired a few of those ‘60s &‘70s amps and various cabs ( some can even think that I have too many!! ). YBA-1, YBA-1A, YSR-1, YBA-2A heads and YBA-2, YBA-2B (converted to open back), YGM-3 combos.

Cabs are early single 15” (2), late ported single 15”, early 2x15” (2) ( sold ), late ported single 18” (2), early 4x10" (sold), late 4x10” and 2x12”, all being closed back. One is an open back 2x12” ( conversion of dead late YGL-3 ). Some have their original speaker, many have various brands & types of speakers.

Now back to the topic. I have 3 YGM-3 :

1969 “White face” Conservatory special edition with its original Marsland,

1969 with a new Jensen P12R ( bough with a JBL D-120F which is best suited in a stronger amp ),

1972 with an old Celestion G12T-75.

Those combos were bought used and are all well serviced and tuned-up. In many occasions they were A/B/C tested by a dozen friends in jams as well as by a few semi- pro musicians friends on actual gigs.

Conclusion : Declared as nice sounding amp by each of them – Not similar tone wise but have features and construction In the same category than a Fender Deluxe Reverb - Different combinations of amp/speakers appeals to different peoples in quite even proportions– Mostly considered not powerful enough for their type of gigs.

Traynor YGM-3.JPG

19. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Neither will the tweed Blues Jr! It's a "tweed" amp in covering only.

I've got a '75 YGM-3 that I paid $200 for this summer. It really only needed new electrolytics and cleaning up. I put an Eminence Private Jack in it (with the back on the cab, because that's parts of the YGM-3 sound) and tweaked a few things and it's a really cool amp! Kinda bulky for what it is, though.

20. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

If your amp sounds good to you and can cover all your bases, you're fine. If not, keep looking. In short: if the amp you bought covers all your needs, then you're golden.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.