1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage tone - guitar gear or recording equipment

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kmaxbrady, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

So I’m listening to some Roy Buchanan tonight while I work. (I’m loving this guy by the way, how did I go so long without this?)
    Loving his tone. Nice cutting overdrive on the tele bridge with that old “lo-fi” sound to it. Sounds like just a cranked amp with no pedals or anything else. I’m wondering though how much of that old sound is the gear of the time, vs The capabilities of recording studios back then. Probably a combo of both right?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I think some of it's the gear...just a magic combo of a great guitar with great pickups and a great amp dimed. But most of it is Roy...his touch, his attack and his whole approach to the instrument was entirely unique and visceral. Same with Danny Gatton. Much of it is still gotten the old fashioned way...blood, sweat and tears and hours upon hours of play time.

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I was lucky to seem him play. Tele straight into a Fender, though I don't recall which one. He chose that setup because it gave him the sound he wanted -- it wasn't a matter of the guitar or amp imposing its tone on him. There's nothing magic about that guitar and amp. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that about 90% of players using that setup create an obnoxious, piercing sound. It sounded great in Roy's hands because... Roy.

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  4. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

All true. Yet, there is a similar sound between what I’m hearing from Roy, and the early Clapton stuff, as well as George Harrison. For example, Claptons tone in “Blues Power”. It sounds very thin and cutting, but in a good way. I never hear modern gear or recordings that have that sound, even when played on vintage gear.

5. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

Having said that, I think some of that sound I attribute to Harrison was actually Clapton in the studio :)

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Roy used a Vibrolux Reverb which is the smallest 2x6L6 combo with two tens and only 35w.
    Seems like he dimed all the controls but that may be a faulty memory?
    Pretty certainly run at full volume for that sound though.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

And some of Clapton's sound was Duane.

Harrison had his own voice with a slide though.
    Seems like Clapton might have copied Harrison a bit.

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I saw Roy play through a Jazz Chorus. Cranked, I'm sure.

He sounded like.........Roy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.