Vintage Threaded Saddles - Three Variations You're Likely to Encounter (In One Pic)

slack

Friend of Leo's
In a listing that couldn't be more ironic, there is currently for sale on a popular site what is described by the seller as a "matching vintage original complete set" of Telecaster saddles "manufactured between 1958 and 1964."

In fact, it is a mismatched set of three different threaded saddles. Here's a pic from the listing:

i79znavr52xldk1hsbpc.jpeg

At left is a coarse threaded Tele saddle from 65 to 68. In the middle is a fine threaded Tele saddle from 58 to 65. At right is a Duo Sonic or Musicmaster saddle.

slack

Friend of Leo's
I definitely see the difference between the course and the fine thread, but what's different between the middle and the right?

The diameter of the height adjustment screws is smaller on the Duo Sonic or Musicmaster saddles.

Anecdotally: IME, they've always measured a bit longer than Tele saddles, too. However, others have reported that was not their experience.

If one is ever looking at a late 60s Tele and gets confused about the appearance of coarse versus fine, just remember that there's ~13 threads between the height adjustment screws on original coarse threaded Tele saddles, the height adjustment screws are always slotted, and their diameter should comprise the majority of the saddle width (as opposed to about half).

Last edited:

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
Good to know!

I like ones with smaller screws that are less likely to touch the strings... At least on unslotted saddles angled for compensation where the screws can fall in the string path.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
Obviously bad misrepresentation aside, it's kind of clever to do it that way with the different screw patterns. Wider threads for thicker strings and vice versa...I like that. I see that and think, "That's the way it should be done."