1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Tele ID

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dhamm, Oct 29, 2018.

1. dhamm

dhamm NEW MEMBER!

Yesterday I got a new(old) tele - the story I got is that the body and pickups are from a 1966 and the neck is a 1985 Fender Licensed allparts neck(the neck was clearly marked). Obviously it's been refinished at some point and some parts have been changed. The only numbers I can find on the body are in the control route and they say 1-52. Any help/information appreciated.

Attached Files:

shupe13 likes this.
  2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Nice looking tele. I used to own a '66 tele. The body doesn't look to be from the 60's. I would say it looks more like an 80's Fender MIJ body judging from the upper bout contour.
    I suppose they could have recontoured the body in the refin process... The wires on the bridge pickup should be coated plastic wires instead of cloth.
    Perhaps others can shed some light on things...

dhamm likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I guess my only comment is, "HOW DOES IT PLAY AND SOUND"??????????

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

The body may also be an early 80's USA 52 reissue. From what I recall the very early ones had a upper bout contour like that. That would also jive with the markings in the control cavity.

5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I believe a 60's bridge pickup would have staggered pole pieces, yours look flat. More in line with a 50's or 50's reissue Tele.

The pots and wiring look to be fairly recent... I'm not sure if I read the code right but it looks like it's from 2016.

Bridge itself is modern.

6. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Fairly sure nothing there is from 1966...

Bones likes this.
  7. 808guitar

808guitar TDPRI Member

I hope you didn't pay a lot of money, I think you were sold a false bill of goods.
    It looks like they put the hardware on the body before the paint was fully dry which maybe suggests this was a rush job by a con artist. If you didn't pay much money for it and it plays well, then great. If you factored vintage pickups and a vintage body into your price, you likely overpaid. Take a look at where the bridge mounting holes would be on a 1960s bridge. It doesn't line up at all, did they really take a 1960s body, strip the paint, refill all the holes, repaint it and redrill it to fit a modern bridge?

8. dhamm

dhamm NEW MEMBER!

I definitely took it as a risk and a curiosity. I got it in a trade for an 80s American strat. I liked the way it played and sounded and figured if the body or pickups or anything ended up being vintage Fender I'd just consider it a bonus. I always have fun researching and trying to dig up info on odd and old guitars.

nojazzhere and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Three bridge plate mounting screws behind the 6 string through holes is a modern body configuration. As are the 2 additional bridge mounting screws in the front corners. Vintage and vintage RI bodies have 4 mounting screws in front of the string through holes and no mounting screws in the front corners. Given the overall rough quality of the body cavities, it may even be a Squier or other import body.

IMHO you got the short end of the stick in this trade based on value, but if you like it and are happy, that's all that matters, but I don't think there's anything vintage or Fender about this guitar.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.