Vintage tele front pup

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 6tzguy, Jun 3, 2021.

1. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Mid was not humbucking.

There are essentially two sorts of noise associated with electric guitars.

Mains cycle hum which can be reduced via opposite wind coils, the basis of the humbucker.

Other noise from TVs appliances computers etc which is reduced by shielding which is connected to the ground side of the circuit.

The cover on the neck pickup acts as an antenna for extraneous noise (as does your body) and needs to be connected to ground. If you simply swap the wires on the neck pickup you have a situation where the cover is now connected to the "hot" side of the circuit and noise is not reduced but in fact magnified (Even more so if by chance you touch the cover). That is why if you swap the wires to the switch you will need to change the cover connection as well

6tzguy likes this.
  2. 6tzguy

6tzguy TDPRI Member

I’m guessing you’re not in Southern California, right? Ha, ha

3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

If you want an original spec '66 Tele neck pickup it would have to have chrome-plated brass cover, no wax potting (or lacquer potting), non-chamfered sand cast A5 magnets (South up) and wound CCW to 6.5 - 7k with plain enamel AWG 43 wire. You can ask somebody to make you a pickup just like that.

The question is however if you really want that. I strongly prefer a nickel silver or no cover at all over the original brass cover for instance. Here are pics of a clean original Tele neck pickup from those years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Phrygian77 and 6tzguy like this.
  4. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

What are the correct periods for brass vs. nickel silver covers?

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Ok - what I'd do. Clip the earth lead to the cover or unsolder it at the cover. - be careful, the 43 awg wire of the coil is very fine.

Solder another lead to the cover. Run that to an earth to maintain the shielding. This will also allow you to wire in a four or five way switch in at a later time

Wire the guitar up and see if you get a full sound in position 2, the combined parallel session.

If not, all you have to do is flip the two leads

There's nothing wrong with vintage spec pickups as long as they're wired correctly.

Vintage Fender pickups were non-humcancelling, except for the 70s wide range humbucker guitars.

Neither were pickups like Gibson P90s.

Seymour Duncan as noted make their vintage type sets humcancelling so your neck pickup is probably magnet polarity opposite the standard bridge, but wiring the same, which will produce twankiness. With magnets flipped the wiring must be changed over to be wired opposite too

So swapping the leads should fix that. From then on, consider the black lead as the hot and lighter lead as the earth.

Nothing wrong with old Fender vintage spec, and Dunkmore Seymans's take on it as as good as any

6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I do not know. I always thought the post-1970 more round edged cover was NS. But when I looked at a couple of those recently they still turned out to be brass. So it seems that all vintage Tele's have brass covers.

It is not that I don't like the basic sound of those pickups, it is just that they are very hard to combine with the much brighter bridge pickup. They don't balance when playing clean. The difference is too big.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is the reason why it's kind of hard to find a vintage spec neck pickup. It seams that just about everyone wants a Stratier Tele neck pickup, and now days nearly every neck pickup has a nickel silver cover and many of them are also wound with 42 AWG. It drives me crazy to see a "52 Clone" set, and the neck pickup is 5.9k (because it's 42 AWG).

I personally think that you compromise the middle position with a Strat like pickup. The traditional neck pickup sounds much better blended with the bridge.

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The Seymour Duncan Antiquity tele neck pups. The Ant I has the brass cover
    while the II has the NS. I have the II in my 60s style tele & it sounds great. I personally
    don't care for the bc, it attenuates too many highs. :cool:

6tzguy likes this.
  9. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like the fender 64 neck pickup...I'm in a minority but I don't like the 4 way switch on teles- does not sound like any good humbucker I've ever heard...and skip the shielding too

SnidelyWhiplash and Antoon like this.
  10. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

So, what kinda cover does an original '64 neck PU have? Brass or nickel silver?

11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

An old one should have a chrome plated brass cover. The current Fender OV '64 pickup probably has a chrome plated NS cover.

12. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

My original circa 70 certainly has a CP brass shell for the neck PU

13. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Chris Klein is a pickup maker known for making pretty faithful recreations of the original pickups. He's not cheap, but it's good stuff.

As for the phase issue, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' orientation of polarity or wind direction. Even Fender changed its standard over the years.
    Whenever you mix pickups from different sets, there's a 50 percent chance of it being out of phase. All you need to do to solve this is to swap the leads (black to switch, white to ground). If there's a metal cover or baseplate on the pickup you additionally need to redo the ground connection for that piece (like snipping the jumper to the cover and moving it, or running a separate ground wire for the cover).

14. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

So how do we identify the material? Scratching/grinding with a Dremel on the inside looking what's underneath the plating??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.