Vintage tele find...maybe

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Telecaster Ben, Feb 19, 2020.

1. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Even though many of us are a little green with envy, it sure appears it went to a great home. Hope you enjoy it for the rest of your life.

whoanelly15 and Telecaster Ben like this.
  2. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Great find, hope you really enjoy it and give it a life again.

Telecaster Ben likes this.
  3. Telecaster Ben

Telecaster Ben TDPRI Member

I love that idea! But I also love the thought of keeping it exactly as it is. I fear that the more I change the more it would be like a reissue on old wood instead of the real thing. But if I still have the original parts handy maybe that would be just as well...I'll definitely be considering because my intent is to play this constantly.

4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Restoration of antiques is a serious question (for some people) ;) . The idea is to keep the object as close as possible to it’s original condition, without contributing to the degradation of the original parts. Sometimes it means to maintain its present condition including mods or accidents. It’s not simple.

Just saying that swapping any hardware part that would bother you is completely reversible (as long as you don’t loose the old parts).

Refinishing would be legitimate but is not reversible and is more difficult. For example it would be difficult get a good result without sanding the wood at some point ( and unsoldering). Every step of the process has to be planned to avoid any further damage to the guitar. So it is far more simple to keep this white finish as it is, and that’s what I’d do. At least I’d wait a few years to make my mind about it. While enjoying this guitar!

Telecaster Ben and Antoon like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.