Vintage tele find...maybe

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Telecaster Ben, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Telecaster Ben

Telecaster Ben TDPRI Member

Theres some evidence or what I believe to be finish stripper on the guitar. Bill didnt even take the bridge plate or neck off when painting. I believe even the solder joints are original. So I highly doubt the original finish is still there unfortunately

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would not hesitate to refinish that one. Ommv.

3. Telecaster Ben

I'll be considering it...but I probably wont do anything for several months. Do you know of anyone that would be good for refinishing this.

4. Telecaster Ben

I got the deal. Good advice. I'll be taking is slow. And the bill guard is staying for sure! Thank you

ArcticWhite likes this.
  5. Telecaster Ben

Haha! I honestly have no idea what this guitars worth. I called gruhn and emerald city and a few others and they wont appraise without seeing it in person...fair enough I suppose.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I think you are right on this being a broadcaster/nocaster body. And there is a good chance that the original finish is still underneath..

Telecaster Ben likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

8. Leddin Pickups

Leddin Pickups TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Wow great find I will put my 2 cents worth in on the pots the tone might be original but I have never seen that style of volume before. It might be a replacement it is larger and different design to the tone. The switch, caps and resistor look good.

9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

The pickup even has the zinc coated baseplate

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The baseplate looks like Zinc plated steel, which IIRC is correct for early Broadcaster.

That guitar is a museum piece, it's like documentation of a real gigged guitar.

2 Headed Goat and Telecaster Ben like this.
  11. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Has anyone noted how crazy it is that the ashtray cover is present? On a guitar that looks to have been played A LOT?

I bet 1950 ashtrays are kinda rare.

12. Telecaster Ben

I
    I dont have a picture on me...but this came with an era correct strap too (the only other thing I got eith the guitar. No case even). The strap was so dry I had to take the strap button off and remove them from the other side to not break them. I haven't looked at the strap much yet...but that would be interesting if it was original to either the 55 or the 50 components of the guitar.

ArcticWhite and rze99 like this.
  13. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

Ashtrays got a real workout back in the day...here's one from my '53.

ashtray.jpg

14. landofahhs

landofahhs TDPRI Member

Very nice to see something as old as me that's still cool. Thanks for sharing all the pictures, history and other info. If you eventually do restore the tele, and if you're anything like me, I hope you'll have many decades of playing enjoyment...Instruments are meant to be played.

By the way, speaking of decades, I'm not sure why it's so remarkable for some to imagine there are old teles still sitting around. A lot of us old farts are still breathing and playing our first instruments...well, maybe not playing like we did at 30 but as long as we can hold a pick I'm good. ;)

Oh, as an added note of intrigue, I'm the only one in my family that plays guitar. So...there is another tele destined for a closet when I kick the bucket! :D

15. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

So very interesting.

16. Telecaster Ben

I hope to play this for forever. I'm in my mid 20s, so maybe I'll keep it around long enough see this guitar turn 100. Crazy thought! What tele do you have out of curiosity?

Adam Wolfaardt and whoanelly15 like this.
  17. Telecaster Ben

Unfortunately I'm almost certain the original finish is gone. When I took the bridge off theres a subtle sloping around it (as if the rest had been sanded). Nothing extreme at all, but just enough to believe the finish is gone :(

18. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Never mind, a thin and worn nitro finish under paint, it would be very unlikely to strip that paint without disturbing the nitro.

I’d be tempted to have it properly refinished by some top notch luthier, one that has experience with those antiques and would do it right with minimal damages. And he can match the remaining original finish under the pickguard. However I can’t imagine how he would do a refin’ without unsoldering the pickups... But that can wait. All your life maybe. You’ll put your own wear and patina on that white paint, and get used to it.

But I would not hesitate to remove that bridge and pickguard and store them, and use some nice retro or real vintage parts, cause it hurts to see such abuses. Keep the old parts in the guitar case so the mojo is not too far away from the guitar. :)

19. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113880153064?var=0

IMO as per Indiana Jones...' it belongs in a museum ' :)

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Pure speculation on my part of course but maybe that original Broadcaster neck was so early it had no truss and developed a warp. It's possible Fender replaced that as I understand they would repair/replace necks. There might even be a '55 log book record recording it - have you tried Fender?

Can't help on historical verification matters I'm afraid but just to say it's really deeply cool on all levels. That neck looks amazing with a wonderful wear pattern that shows it's been a player. It's a lovely old thing and I'll bet it feels smooth and amazing.

That refinish may not be optimal but I love the muted aged colour and its rustic nature fits with a super old Tele so I'd perhaps keep that. I'd get a new unbleached bone nut fitted and aged to a smooth rounded finish to be in keeping.

gimmeatele and fernieite like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.