Vintage tele body needs help!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleamp, Jun 2, 2009.

1. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Who do you guys recommend to route, fill, correctly route, and finish for a tele body that has been butchered?

I have a mid 60's tele body that has been routed for three h/b's, it's a nice naturally reliced piece of wood that sounds pretty good. I think I might as well get it back to tele routing and have a thin coat of black paint applied.

Thanks
    Mike

2. riggergreg

riggergreg Tele-Afflicted

I've got the same problem with my 68. I'm gonna do mine sometime this summer

[​IMG]

3. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

One way would be to cut filler plus or biscuts that fill the holes as much as possible then use bondo for the rest. If you use a similar wood to the body and are neat things wil be OK.

Or you could go Bondo all the way if you are nor woodworker inclined.

Gary

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On the one pictured, I'd rout out a big rectangle that would remove all that butchery............ or maybe two rectangles. Then I'd cut a patch(es) from the same type of wood. Round the corners of the patch(es) to match the corners left by the router bit. Glue it in. Run it through the thickness planer until it stood just slightly proud then sand it flush with the surrounding area. Then re-rout all cavities, channels and possibly the neck pocket. After all that, a refinish would probably be required.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

And yet some still say Drug use is a Victimless crime......;)

6. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

Scary!:eek:
    JWells' advice of routing out and filling a nice, clean rectangular hole sounds easiest ands makes sense. A skim of Bondo or a proper wood filler should work nice over top of that. Post pics if you do it!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  7. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Knowing how Jack Wells can work wood...I betcha no filler of any kind would be needed......;) (this was to make up for correcting his other post...;))

8. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

"Knowing how Jack Wells can work wood...I betcha no filler of any kind would be needed......"

Judging from the # and quality of posts I would not doubt that at all.
    I tend to consider things within the context of my own skill which , uh, can be less than perfect:oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.