1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Teisco ET-200 Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Johnny Teisco, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Johnny Teisco

Johnny Teisco TDPRI Member

Hi guys! First time user here! Found this mint Teisco ET-200 electric guitar at Guitar Center today for $180, complete with original case. What a beauty! Almost everything about it is FLAWLESS, complete with Teisco badge at the headstock and whammy bar (not present; inside my case). The only exception is a small ding at the back side.

What caught me off guard about this guitar is that when I opened up the guitar, it was made of SOLID WOOD. NOT plywood. I also have a Teisco "Checkmate" E-110 guitar where not only is the body and neck made of plywood, but the FRETBOARD is made of plywood, stained to look like rosewood! Neat! I think it may be made of Sen wood.

When I first got it from Guitar Center, the neck was totally banana'd and the action is a mile high. The guitar has a truss rod but you'd have to pull the neck out to adjust it. When I got to adjust it, I noticed the truss rod was doing absolutely nothing! It was never tightened and the nut was just jiggling. I sought to tighten it and lo and behold, the neck straightened up perfectly with smooth action.

Neck feels nice and a bit chunky and really fast. Frets are in good condition but are quite tiny but I managed to do a few aggressive bends with minimal effort.There are a few buzzy frets here and there but not too much of a problem.

Pickups are warm and articulate and have a very unique midrangy sound. They are also notably microphonic, but that wasn't much of a problem here:

In summary, I LOVE THIS THING!!!

I'm plugged into my Ditto Looper, GFS Retroverb, SkullytoneFX Russian Spy, and a MojoMojo Overdrive into my Fender Champion 600.

2. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice score, more pictures please!

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to have one like in your avatar. Never got it to sound as good as your vid, though...

4. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Nice playing and jamming JT. With many of those cheap J guitars, adding overdrive/gain makes them come alive and give the gold foil sound. Your video gave a nice example of that.

Johnny Teisco likes this.
  5. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

You sound great on that thing! This shows how hit-or-miss these Teiscos (and other brands) from this era are, some are great, and others... Not so much. Yours is nice, and you play it well. Enjoy!

6. Johnny Teisco

Here you go: SANY0126.JPG SANY0127.JPG SANY0129.JPG SANY0128.JPG SANY0133.JPG

7. Johnny Teisco

This one's definitely a hit! My other "Checkmate" which is the one on my avatar is a miss, unless you put a bit of work into it. Frets were buzzing all over when I got it, intonation was sooooo off that I had to unscrew the bridge and move it back a couple centimeters to get the intonation close. Tuners were hard to turn and couldn't stay in tune. I later found out the string bar/tree holding the strings in place was causing a lot of friction, making the guitar hard to keep in tune. AND...it's plywood lol :)

8. Johnny Teisco

Yup! Gives that Hound Dog Taylor type sound too! Although I don't exactly play slide myself :p

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, looks like it was rarely played, thanks for the additional pics!

10. Johnny Teisco

Yup! Even the frets have no fretwear!

11. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Great tone! Tasteful playing, too!

12. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Johnny Teisco, welcome to TDPRI. I nominate this as the best NGD post I've ever seen: Outstanding deal, outstanding detail, outstanding demo. I had to watch and hear your E-110 Improvisation in D also, and was blown away by your amidexterity. Thanks very much!

13. Johnny Teisco

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

14. Johnny Teisco

Thanks so much! I try my best! And yes, I'm ambidextrous. These are NOT wallhangers! Not in my book! I love my Teiscos to bits! Check out my other vids! I'll keep posting these two in action quite often. :)

15. Johnny Teisco

More pics:
    SANY0130.JPG SANY0131.JPG SANY0132.JPG SANY0134.JPG SANY0136.JPG
    Oh yeah forgot to mention: that fourth picture, apparently someone stripped a screw at the neck plate ahead of mine...

16. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

I've got a similar guitar with the same pickups. It has superb tone. I am beginning to believe the claims of wood needing years to settle. My teisco has better acoustic tone than any guitar I own. They are remarkable bargains. I have never seen such a pristine example, though. Awesome acquisition!

17. Johnny Teisco

Thanks! These teisco pickups are awesome! Bell-like, midrangy, and articulate and, of course, microphonic! Really picks up the nuances of your playing. This old Japanese piece of wood n' strings sings!

18. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Great demo!

19. Johnny Teisco

Thank you! :)

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I believe that guitar spent practically all it's life in a case. Never seen a rear ID plate in that good of condition, looks new.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.