Vintage Super Reverb Maintenance/assessment

Threesaddle

TDPRI Member
Hi all,
I recently acquired a black panel super reverb, intending to put some money into it to use it as long as I possibly can. From the transformer codes and stamp on the tube chart it seems to be 1965. Beyond that, I don't know much about the insides to know whether it's been modded or serviced. The previous owner said it got filter caps replaced 2 years ago, though one under the doghouse says 2012. it sounded great in the shop (still does too), but I'm wondering if anybody has some time and could take a peek at my photos and see if anything stands out as needing attention by a tech. I dont want to risk damaging anything as i've never owned a vintage fender before. I posted on other forums as well and am hoping for the insights of anyone with more experience here. Thanks for all the great info on here!

20220508_110906.jpg
20220508_110935.jpg
20220508_110941.jpg
20220508_111219.jpg
20220508_112153.jpg
20220508_112831.jpg

Last edited:

Threesaddle

TDPRI Member
Can you get some pictures of the power and rectifier tube sockets. Maybe check the 470 Ohm resistor next to the blue Spraque cap in the 4th picture.
Hopefully these are what you mean? (Sorry i'm quite a novice at id'ing values of components). Thanks so much for taking a look btw.
20220508_120316.jpg
20220508_120328.jpg
20220508_120337.jpg
20220508_120407.jpg

Attachments

• 20220508_120253.jpg
    20220508_120253.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 9

noname_dragon

Tele-Holic
Fantastic amp! There are some great tube amp techs in the Bay Area. It wouldn't hurt to have it checked over, biased and any necessary servicing. Then enjoy for many years... no worries!

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Some of what was done is sad to see. The plate load resistors were replaced to quiet the bacon frying noise. There's no reason though that you can't replace them with new CC so it looks original. That's what I did on my '67. The metal film for the PI is completely unnecessary. And, I've yet to see any bad blue Ajax caps.

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
Some of what was done is sad to see. The plate load resistors were replaced to quiet the bacon frying noise. There's no reason though that you can't replace them with new CC so it looks original. That's what I did on my '67. The metal film for the PI is completely unnecessary. And, I've yet to see any bad blue Ajax caps.
1. I don't have a problem with carbon film on plate resistors, especially 1W as here. Despite the folklore, I don't think there is a noticeable difference in tone, and quiet is critical.
2. I wouldn't have used metal film on PI either, but I wouldn't bother changing them.
3. I have seen bad Ajax caps on the PI. Some techs just automatically change them because bad caps mess with bias, but they can and do fail in that position. Anyway, what's done is done and the work looks decent.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Not for me, I alwys use metal oxide. New CC vary a ton right from the get go!
To each his own I guess!

Threesaddle

TDPRI Member
Can you get some pictures of the power and rectifier tube sockets. Maybe check the 470 Ohm resistor next to the blue Spraque cap in the 4th picture.
20220508_120328.jpg

Also, do you happen to know if this blue one by the ground switch is the 'death cap'? I was surprised to see it there still since the amp has a three prong cord

rdjones

Tele-Holic
This is what i call aggressive or "shotgun" servicing.
It could be worse, at least the blue moldeds in the preamps were mercifully left alone.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

It does happen with Ajax caps. I had two leaky ones in my DR.

Threesaddle

TDPRI Member
Revisiting this, if anyone is still watching by any chance. From the photos, can anyone identify if this is the AB763 circuit?

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Revisiting this, if anyone is still watching by any chance. From the photos, can anyone identify if this is the AB763 circuit?

Why are you unsure? You've got '64 and '65 codes on the output transformer and choke. The circuit didn't change until '68. My '67 that I had looked almost exactly like a '65 inside. It's definitely an AB763.

Threesaddle

TDPRI Member
Why are you unsure? You've got '64 and '65 codes on the output transformer and choke. The circuit didn't change until '68. My '67 that I had looked almost exactly like a '65 inside. It's definitely an AB763.
Combination of paranoia and not knowing how to read a schematic (yet). The faceplate is a bit warped/lifting off the chassis near the pilot light and logo, and grille cloth looks sloppy so I started entertaining the idea of someone making a 'partscaster' super reverb of sorts and passing it off as an original 65, and me buying it out of ignorance. Wow that sounds absurd typing it out, but I'll leave it for others' amusement haha