Vintage-Style Tuners: Any one happen to know of other brands that match Fender spec?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by El Tele Lobo, Sep 14, 2020.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have dropped the correctly sized Gotohs into existing Fender holes, but I had to use the original Fender screws. The Gotoh screws were smaller all around – head size, diameter, and length. Maybe they are available with U.S.-sized screws (or a close enough metric equivalent), but I'm not sure.

Klusons should be direct fits in every way, though I cannot say for sure. I would contact the modern day Kluson company, which is in Florida, IIRC. They are a small enough company that they are easy to get a hold of IME. I believe they are owned by, or at least affiliated with, W.D. Music. Or maybe they just happen to be neighbors.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't tell what parts are off spec but those gaps between tuners are not supposed to be there!
    When the tuners and the headstock are both on spec, there are no gaps at all, so the screws that catch two tuners are really catching two tuners, and the whole line is straight because they stack like blocks.

Even among Fender and Squier products there is a bit of variation, as I showed on two necks fitted with Pings on one and Gotoh on the other.
    I drilled mounting screw holes to mount the Gotoh on the MIJ Allparts neck, and I installed the Pings on the 20yo MIM Fender neck using the original screw holes. The old screw holes on the old MIM were also a bit loose/stripped, but held the screws OK.
    The MIM was AFAIK drilled correctly for the correct spec Gotoh, and the small gaps between tuners that allwed them to all shift out of line was AFAIK caused by Chinese apathetic application of dimensions on those Pings that FMIC uses on non Fender Squiers.

I say "non Fender Squiers" because Squier is FMIC but not Fender.
    We confuse Squier with Fender all the time, and then go on to confuse Harley Benton with Fender because they look awfulsimilar and Harley Benton may even make some of those Squiers we think of as Fender guitars.

For that matter, we confuse GFS with Fender.

When we leave Fender and go to Squier, we need to leave our expectation of Fender spec at the door. Might see it there but can't expect it.
    Then leaving Squier and heading toward Harley Benton, GFS and Ali Baba, plan on Ali Baba spec. AKA Chinese fakes that are based on the appearance of FMIC products.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. Tele_Luvr

Tele_Luvr TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

You’re right, some of the tuners aren’t touching, but one screw seems to be enough to hold the tuner in place. Some people might not like the look of that, tho (and I don’t blame them).

And yes, I also got that neck from GFS. All cheap GFS parts.

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Kluson name is owned by WD Music. They are true vintage spec at .25 inches. I tried putting them in a Ping bushing and it didn’t fit. Ping, like most repros, are 6mm, which is .236”

I bought a set for a 60s Tele replica and wanted the Kluson stamp. The high E had some backlash. I sent an email to WD. The customer service rep wanted a couple pics to confirm it was one of theirs and then within 5 days I had a replacement tuner on my guitar.

I HIGHLY recommend WD music and Kluson. Customer service is where it is at.

If anyone wants to see pics, I’ll post a couple.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

WD's Kluson tuners are the real deal.

"Fender spec" is, what? Whatever they decide to use this year?

I've used Gotoh and Ping (and various import) copies, and seriously, I like the Klusons better.

jfgesquire likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dang...I wish I'd seen some of these more recent responses sooner. I ended up going with Gotoh staggered-height vintage. They were "guaranteed" to arrive today, but didn't. :rolleyes:

7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

The Gotoh staggered height vintage are good tuners. I've used them on a number of necks and really like them.

Just gave the Kluson staggered height vintage style tuners a good testing on the latest neck; I'm liking those as well :).

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks, @old wrench. Hopefully they'll show up soon. Mail not back up to speed yet, apparently. Had several delayed shipments in recent times.

old wrench likes this.
  9. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Here's some pics of the current Kluson vintage tuners...

20200729_194305.jpg 20200729_194614.jpg 20200729_133407.jpg 20200701_155422~2.jpg

El Tele Lobo and old wrench like this.
  10. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.