Vintage-Style Tuners: Any one happen to know of other brands that match Fender spec?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by El Tele Lobo, Sep 14, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had picked up a NOS set of Fender vintage tuners and one of them turned out to be a little loosey-goosey. I'm probably going to replace them after my new neck arrives (builder installed them on it). Anyone know if there are any other (possibly better) brands that fit the same screw profile/holes as vintage-style Fender?

Suggestions welcome!

2. El Tele Lobo

3. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I installed some Kluson Revolution tuners on one Tele. They look and work nice, but are overpriced. 19:1 ratio is nice for tuning, tedious when re-stringing... But I have had good luck with plain old Fender Vintage tuners. Seem to be a decent value.

https://www.kluson.com/revolution.html

20200218_180235.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  4. El Tele Lobo

I'm watching some Fenders and some Gotohs. Will probably get whatever's cheapest and decent. Was just hoping to get some recommendations for ratios and quality from those in the know.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

What do you mean by NOS Fender?
    Fender never made tuners, are these the Gotoh vintage style that came packaged with Fender branding?

6. telemnemonics

03BD7714-F131-444F-948E-D8981563A2FC.jpeg You bought these?
    MIJ by Gotoh and also sold as Gotoh or Allparts.
    Is Fender not selling them any more?
    Stratosphere sells these (as new take offs) and also the look alike Ping from China.
    The Ping is a little looser where new Gotoh are almost too tight.
    There is a slight difference in total length of the line of tuners too, but not enough to be a problem. I put some Pings from Stratosphere on a 98 MIM neck and there was a little space between each tuner, but they work fine.
    Could be the MIJ Gotoh Fender would stack up too long for the holes in a Chinese neck...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

Probably...they were packaged with Fender branding.

8. El Tele Lobo

These are what I currently have (pictured)...only mine were in black and gold packaging. I'm looking for something comparable that will fit, but maybe better gear ratios or smoothness.

9. telemnemonics

I’m sorry I forgot the Ping on cheaper Squier get branded Fender so maybe that’s what you have?
    The better Gotoh I showed in the Fender package do not say Fender on the tuners.

Here’s Ping on the right and Gotoh on the left.
    I don’t think there’s a better vintage style than the Gotoh.
    If your packeting didn’t say Japan and the tuners do say Fender then you have the cheaper Ping. 0D789FDF-45CC-4DFA-9902-D77F35F67E7F.jpeg 5276990D-62A5-4EA2-A849-736B379ADADD.jpeg

Chuckster likes this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

I'll have to look when my neck comes back.

11. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I have been using Kluson Supremes on my builds and love them. Fit in the standard 11/32” holes and standard mounting holes. 18:1 ratio. Smooth as silk.

12. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve used the new klusons on multiple guitars

They are definitely better than what came on my Baja

I’ve heard kluson had a bad reputation a couple years ago but they’ve gotten a lot better, I haven’t had a problem yet

They are probably made by ping though

Mr. Neutron and Boreas like this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I wish fender made “double line” tuners, all of the American vintage/originals have those tuners, it would be nice if they were a little more period

15. Boreas

How would one tell the Pings from these??

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Pure-Vintage-Guitar-Tuning-Machines-1399909213411.gc

16. Boreas

I installed some Kluson Revolutions on a custom neck last winter. They work fine and look good, but I was a bit disappointed by the sharp edges on the inside of the split shafts. I felt they may spell trouble with my unwound strings, so I polished the edges with abrasive cord. Shouldn't have to do that with expensive tuners. I also had to use some old, lower-profile, Fender nuts because the Kluson nuts were a little too tall with the shorter staggered tuners. I was going to return them, but since I had the nuts, I took the easy way out. Also, this was not a Fender licensed neck, so may be a little out of the thickness specs. I never bothered to measure.

But I did note recently a lot of the Revolutions were on sale for about 25% off. Perhaps they are discontinuing or re-tooling, or simply asking what they are worth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Chuckster and Fretting out like this.
  17. telemnemonics

I can't tell from the pics, but the packaging generally includes country of origin.
    Pings would be China and Japan would be the better Gotoh.

@63 vibroverb says those PV Fender tuners are the Gotoh and that they now come with the Fender logo on the back.
    Probably the exact same tuners as I pictured (and as I believe Allparts sells) but maybe Fender adds an additional charge for the brand stamping.
    I've bought some sets of the Fender packaged tuners from GC but not for $65, more like $45- $49.
    Online they run closer to $39 last time I looked.
    And of course Stratosphere take offs get even cheaper, and they seem to properly ID parts.

My set of Pings in the pic came from Stratosphere and ran about $20 at auction.
    No complaints aside from their slightly smaller size making the stack a little loose, so they are not a crisp and tight in the row.
    Looser feel too, but brand new Gotoh have often been almost too tight.

As far as Kluson I haven't tried them, which is a rebranded tuner made by I'm not sure who, maybe Ping as suggested by @Fretting out . I tend to like MIJ guitar stuff feel that they seldom screw up machinist work, due to a pride based work force.
    Like we used to have in the good ol' USA...

Frisco 57 and Fretting out like this.
  18. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

Yes the packaging says “made in Japan” on the back. I also double checked with Fender and Gotoh and they both confirmed it. I think before they put the Fender lettering on them, they were around $50. Now $15 more. I pay $25 for them because a buddy of mine works at GC, but I’d still pay full price if I had to. They’re worth it.

Not a big deal to me since that’s cosmetic, but I get why some people want the accuracy.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Tele_Luvr

Tele_Luvr TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

20. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I scored these Fender F tuners new in the box on craigslist this past weekend for $25... guy bought them to put on his Squier Strat but they didn't fit because of the hole diameter and spacing. One guess what I did on Sunday night... don't ask me how I did it, you don't wanna know! :D

Tuners_1.jpg

Tuners_3.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.