1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage style bridge for player series (lefty)..?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Simmoz, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Simmoz

Simmoz TDPRI Member

Hi all,

New tele owner here. Just picked up a butterscotch player series and looking to give it more of a vintage vibe.
    I just tried the Wilkinson wtb and it didn't fit.
    Does anyone know of a vintage style bridge to fit the player series?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

When switching from a modern 6 saddle bridge to a vintage style 3 saddle bridge, you have to be willing to do some drilling, as there is no direct replacement. It's been done here hundreds of times, in a couple of different ways. If your focus is 3 brass saddles, you can do the "bubba Mod". If you want the vintage style plate with the sides as well, get out your drill. The biggest difference is the vintage bridge has 4 mounting screws, and the modern has 3

download.png

Also, it is likely that there will be a slight bit of the pickup route visible along the upper side of the bridge, aka 'butt crack'

gerhard_k and nojazzhere like this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I was under the impression that the
    Player series has the same screw pattern (4 mounting screw holes in front of 6 string-through holes) that the Standard series had, and that a vintage-style bridge would drop right in, as it did on the Standard.

What prevented the Wilkinson from fitting? Did the holes not line up, or was it another factor?

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Simmoz

Simmoz TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info.
    The player series has the 4 mounting holes though. I thought all the 4 hole mount bridges either modern or vintage were interchangeable ...

The Wilkinson wtb bridge I tried almost fit, but when mounted with the pickup the holes bridge were about 5mm too far forward.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I would've thought the Wilkinson would have fit.....? I recently built a Tele, right hand, but I used a left handed bridge for the "reversed" slant on pickup. I DID have to do additional routing to allow for the pickup (since my body was right-hand routed) but I was expecting that. BTW....I think I really like the reverse slant! ;)

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

Bummer.

I wish I could help, but I don't know what will fit if a Wilkinson won't. Good luck.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Can you post an image of your new guitar, with the replacement bridge plate laying over it?

Thanks.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

I believe that the Player Series mostly (or all ?) have 22 fret necks with no overhang (unlike the more common 22 frets with overhang). So the bridge position and neck pocket are unique to those. I am not sure how they implemented the bridge, ie whether there are generic bridges that fit, or if only an "MP" bridge fits.

Edit: I was mistakenly thinking of the Modern Players in the above.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  9. LutherBurger

I just looked at a close-up photo of a 22-fret Player series (Mexico) neck. It definitely has the overhang. You're thinking of the Modern Player series (China) necks, which are different.

I think the Modern Player Teles all came with hardtail Strat bridges. The Player series Tele bridges look like the now-extinct Standard series bridges, but if what @Simmoz says is true, they are not the same... at least not the left-handed version.

TimTam likes this.
  10. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Yes, you're right ... I was mistakenly thinking of the Modern Players. Thanks for the catch.

11. Rick-Robertson

Rick-Robertson TDPRI Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  12. Simmoz

Simmoz TDPRI Member

EF91D79F-0F1D-4974-A928-EF0DF07FF518.jpeg Well I ended up getting a fender pat plate from Darren Riley which was the only place I could find a lefty version. Was ridiculously expensive once postage and import tax was added (I’m in the uk) but.. It fits. Looks great and sounds a bit different. Using Gotoh comp saddles.

Have no idea what was up with the Wilkinson, which should have been the same size surely.
    Anyway super happy with my tele now, really didn’t like the look of modern bridge.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    LutherBurger likes this.
  13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Yes, Fender stopped furnishing us lefties a long time ago. LH bridge plates are pretty thin on the ground now.

Glad you got sorted out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.