1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Stingray bass- can maple neck be planed and refretted?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by noname_dragon, Dec 5, 2020.

1. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

IMG_0265.jpeg I bought the bass 20 years ago in kinda banged up and somewhat abused condition, but it sounds fantastic. I'm pretty sure it's a '79. There is a mid-rise around the 12th fret, and the neck bows up slightly around 1st to 4th fret.The truss rod is tightened all the way. My luthier says it's a lost cause and just play it the way it is or sell it as semi-playable.
    It's a cool guitar and I'd really like to make the neck great again.
    Any suggestions?

IMG_0270.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My luthier would try to straighten the bow by applying heat and pressure for a prolongued period of time. There might be truss rod issues, too, demonstrating in that way.

noname_dragon likes this.
  3. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Anything can be done. He sounds like he doesn't want the work. I cannot say anything without seeing the issue in hands, but minor issues in the neck can be sorted by leveling the frets. But yes, what you're asking can also be done as well. Worse comes to worse, you know there are Stingray necks on Reverb.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I don't see why you couldn't bend the neck in a position with supports so that when you radius sand you can flatten it. By "rise" do you mean it "lumps up" or do you mean it bends up giving too much relief? If the latter have you tried lighter strings?
    So "mid rise" at the 12th fret sounds like the truss rod is too tight. ?
    "Bows Up" at fret 1-4 means the head stock is up causing a concave area 1-4?

5. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

schmee- thanks for your reply. yes it has a bump , a 'lump up" as you say where the neck meets the body causing some choking on notes around the 10th thru 13th frets. I encountered this on an older tele w a rosewood board and it was planed down and refretted with good success.
    And yes, the headstock is bending up. As far as the trussrod goes... under normal operation, tightening would flatten the entire neck or give relief by loosening. In this case it can't correct the headstock lift.

Fidopunk- yes sir, a new new neck is an option, but I'm not ready to go there until I'm convinced the original neck can't be repaired. Perhaps my repairman just doesn't want the job as you say.

I appreciate all your suggestions!

6. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Take it to a shop that has a PLEK machine. It’ll solve all your problems.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.