Vintage sounding tele pickups, just louder?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rich2k4, Nov 12, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

I have an American Ash Tele and a 1988 American Standard Strat. There is a huge volume difference between the two guitars, with the Strat being a lot louder than the tele on all pickup positions. No amount of pickup height adjustment on the tele can come close to the loud clear tone I get from the strat.

I'm not sure what kind of pickups are in the tele right now. I think they might be broadcaster/nocaster style because the bridge pickup is flat pole piece.

I want to keep the tonal characteristics of what makes a telecaster great, but I just want it to be louder, but not necessarily be some stacked humbucker single coil if that makes sense.

Any recommendations?

2. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Bill Lawrence Keystones. Well worth the wait.

3. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I've heard the Twang King's are awesome. Anyone have an opinion??

4. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

I would have thought broadcaster and nocaster pickups are pretty loud. I had the stock "50s" type pickups in my mij tele, which were flat poles, but they were so much quieter than my other low output guitars I changed them out for broadcaster types. Plenty loud, full sound.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Some difference, different pickups, ok probably. Huge difference, shouldn't be. Isolating the problem is the name of this game.

Check the wiring on the Tele. Resistance may not be going to zero when the volume pot is wide open. Use a cord in the jack so you can check resistance from the end of the cord to the output terminal on the switch. If you don't have a meter, splurge $5.00 at Harbor Freight for a cheapie - all you will need.

Of course, you could check it out by buying and installing new pickups. If you still have the problem, then it isn't the pickups.

6. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I agree that the Twang Kings sound great, but they're not high output. A lot of Tele pickups can be overly bright, or a bit weak, or it's easy to end up with the opposite extreme if you buy a "hot" set, Twang Kings are very tastefully in the middle. I don't get the sense that I ever have to fix the EQ when I plug them in.

It's sort of a fact of life that you trade clarity for volume with passive single coils. The best you can do is go for stronger magnets, such as ceramic, or more realistically AlNiCo 5, to approach clarity and volume without compromising too much. I'd strongly recommend choosing the pickup for it's tone, and then getting a nice boost, like a Timmy clone, to push the signal harder.

7. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Rio Grande Tallboys have more output but retain a nice high end.

8. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Keystones as a conservative engine swap, microcoils to bring basically the strongest voltage output you could hope for from a single but with the sweetest highend and the most versatility and most evenly balanced voice of anything out there.

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Any recommendations? ...

It might sound trite....turn your amp up more when you play the tele..... or use a volume pedal for both guitars to run through.... adjust on the fly....

more volume is an amp thing really.....isn't it? ;)

10. DeTerminator

DeTerminator Tele-Meister

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the OP had a different question in mind when asking that one.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I will echo what a few others have said - if there's a huge volume difference regardless of where pickups heights are set, there's a problem with the Tele pickups and/or controls.

If there is a subtle difference, adjust amp volume to compensate.

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm more curious why there's such a big difference in volume between the guitars. Maybe A5 strat pups vs A3 Tele pups. Tele pickups, to me are almost always louder that strat pickups, at least the bridge is. I'm thinking there might be an electronic issue with the tele if even with pickup adjustments that strat is that much louder.

Put a meter to those pots, makes sure they're within spec and working correctly.

Keystones or Alnico microcoils would've been my suggestion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.