Vintage Selmer Project

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Si G X, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Understood, I'm not going to ... I'll check everything before I do anything. It's why I'm here.

I won't be taking it to a 'tech' I'm just not that sort of person, I'm not an expert but I'm pretty handy and with help I can get most jobs done. I won't be replacing the valves unless I need to, I was just checking what they were in case I need to and see if they were commonly available. The all look in pretty good shape to be honest.

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I haven't seen one of those for nearly 50 years, it's in better nick than the one I had then.

And yes, I blew it up...

Si G X likes this.
  3. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Underside should look something like this. Upper right is the big triple-cap (32u+32u+16u). The silver can in the middle is the bypass cap for the EL84 (C5 50u) cathode and the blue one should be the same for the EF86 (C4 25u).

[​IMG]

tintag27 likes this.
  4. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Selmer's was a music shop in Charing Cross Rd, London. They had a wide range of own brand stuff as well as expensive US imports :) Famously, Paul Kossof and John McLaughlin both worked there, and anybody who was anybody in the 60's shopped there - Clapton, Green, Page, Beck... including *those* LP Stds.

5. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

I recently refurbished this little gem;
    Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 12.44.36.png Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 12.44.17.png
    Back with the client and in the recording studio working well.

Attached Files:

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

haha .. yeah, it's pretty tidy, I bet it hasn't been used for 40 years.

really looking forward to hearing my univox superfuzz through it. :D

beagle likes this.
  7. ocduff

ocduff Tele-Meister

Cool little amp - this was good entertainment seeing it opened up.

Looking forward to an update!?

Si G X likes this.
  8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Selmer was the official Fender importer, which is why they had well known customers.

telemnemonics and Si G X like this.
  10. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Your transformer looks as they did for that build date, circa 1964.

Si G X likes this.
  11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Older than me and in better condition. ;)

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime, that tube compliment will yield a hot little amp...you might not need that super fuzz pedal. Nice looking little amp. Congrats.

telemnemonics and Si G X like this.
  13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Thanks, oh, there's the big ones I was expecting to see.... I'll post pictures when I have it open. ... I can't imagine there being much voltage in it after all this time, but I will check before anyone says anything.

14. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Nice little amp ! I'd be pleased to inherit of such a so well preserved one... :cool:

-tbln

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow what a cool find!

I'd wager a guess that it may actually be a museum piece!
    Selmers are collectible and as you noted even the paper tag warning to not use with a bass is still intact, the back hasn't been lost, the original cover is there and in clean condition.
    My guess is once working if fixed without messing it up it should be easily worth $1000 if not more.
    Unless they are so common in the UK that nobody cares?
    It's probably a screamer too with the higher gain preamp tube compared to a Tweed Champ, and those original tubes being with it is also a great addition. For how little use it seems to have had the tubes are probably fine, and fall on the holy grail tubes list.

I've had lots of amps that old but only one British amp from near that era, and prices go way up as you go back from late '60s to early '60s. Lets hope it lives to sing again!

Wally and Si G X like this.
  16. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info, to be honest I have no idea on the value or how desirable they are over here. I don't think they are common though, which is why I thought people might be interested. I will be treasuring it anyway because of the sentimental value to me, but I really want it to be used what it's meant to be used for, otherwise what's the point, you know?

I will be great to crank it up. :)

On reflection about what I said earlier too, if I do HAVE to take it to someone I will, but I do enjoy doing stuff myself, it always makes it feel more special to me.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Can't say I've ever seen a tone control in the Negative Feedback (NFB) loop before. That's seem pretty novel to me - but how effective is it? Anyone seen that before?

It does mean that if you were to ditch the NFB to see how wild it can get you would also lose that control. Not that you'd want to mod it I guess - but it might be worth desoldering the loop just once to hear it without NFB once everything's up and running.

18. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Hey Jon, I've just realised you are not far from me. I'm just over the water on the Island. So in the end if I do need to, I could pay you a visit.

There is a local guy but I don't really trust him, I think he BS'd a friend of mine once about his amp and he takes far too long to do simple jobs like replacing a pot, imo.

we'll see how we get on though. :)

19. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Imho, that little amp would do well to be in Jon Snell’s hands for the work.

Jon Snell likes this.
  20. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I'm sure it would. :)

I'll be brutally honest... I'm not too flush at the moment, I work for myself and things have been quiet since Christmas. Which is partly why I had the time to get around to looking at this, but sadly with time doesn't come money.

I won't do anything rash though, if I need to wait I will. It's still fun to have a look for now though.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.