Vintage Selmer Project

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Si G X, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Hi everyone... I've decided to do something about this little UK made amp that I inherited from a friend who sadly passed away last year. I think he found it in someone's loft/basement/garage while he was doing some work for them and they were going to toss it, so he brought it home and kept it.

Anyway it's in my hands now and I think I need to at least try and get it going, so I thought you all might be interested and maybe I can get some help along the way. I'm not a total noob when it comes to electronics, amps and soldering but I'm not super experienced either, especially with vintage stuff. If anyone has any thought or knows anything about the amp feel free to chime in.

There's a lot of pics coming first, so hold tight and they might be over a few posts. :)

IMG_20200206_093208.jpg

Original Vinyl Cover, still in good condition. :)

IMG_20200206_093222.jpg

Two-tone cab and nice flecked cloth, again very nice condition.
    IMG_20200206_093239.jpg

The on/off switch is incorporated into the tone knob, which is sadly missing it's brass? Copper? insert.
    IMG_20200206_093255.jpg

Back of the amp, that feels like cardboard! .. but I guess it's the same fibreboard stuff that they used to make the backs of TV out of. It's really nice to see 'Made in England' on the back, it's something you don't see so much on anything these days. :(
    IMG_20200206_093347.jpg

2x inputs... and a warning sticker that is remarkably intact "not suitable for bass instruments" :D ... it's just a paper sticker, so it's been kept dry all these years thankfully.
    IMG_20200206_093405.jpg

The back is held on by these little corner tabs, there appears to be a logo on them. an 'S' for Selmer or something else?

Internals coming next, hope you are finding this interesting. I'm quite excited myself!

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

The back's off... other than a little dust and dirt it's all fairly clean. My first thought's were that there's plenty of room for a bigger speaker, but I don't really want to mess with it.

IMG_20200206_093433.jpg

The speaker is a Made in England ELAC, don't think I've head of them before.
    IMG_20200206_093446.jpg

This kind of looks like scrap metal and brown paper!! whatever it is (some kind of transformer, I'm guessing) I hope it's not totally messed up.
    IMG_20200206_093457.jpg

This looks more like a regular transformer, we know and love.

IMG_20200206_093516.jpg

Numbers on the top and tagboard.
    IMG_20200206_093531.jpg

There's not a lot to the volume and tone circuitry, I've seen much more complicated stuff in a guitar!

IMG_20200206_093549.jpg

....more coming!

Fretting out and tintag27 like this.
  3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

OK, I've just realised the 'scrap metal and brown paper' thing must be the input transformer as that little 'popper' snap on thing is how you adjust for different mains voltage... it doesn't do US 110v though, it's range is between 200 and 250v.

4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

IMG_20200206_093640.jpg

I'll take the chassis out soon, but there doesn't appear to be much under there if I peer down the side. I guess there must be some caps somewhere??
    IMG_20200206_093650.jpg

Power tube is an EL84 Brimar Made in UK.
    IMG_20200206_093755.jpg

This EZ80 valve isn't something I'm familiar with, google tells me it's a 'full wave rectifier' valve and thankfully something Watford valves have and not super expensive.
    IMG_20200206_093932.jpg

The pre-amp valve is a Mullard made in GREAT BRITAIN! :D I can see an 'E' could be an ECC83 but I'm not sure, I'll inspect this later, or do some research on the amp to find out.

IMG_20200206_094006.jpg

There's no plug on her at the moment, so the first thing I guess I should do is put a plug on and see if anything happens I guess. I have a power strip with a fuse and protection stuff so hopefully I won't take the whole house down if it does go bang!! :D

tintag27 likes this.
  5. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Made in England and not for 110volts but it catered for the varying voltages in and around England from 200volts in Birmingham to 250volts in Bournemouth as the 'Super Grid' with those massive pylons, was not invented then.
    Nice bit of history with the Elac speaker and nice valves, EF86, EL84 and EZ80/1 possibly.
    I think it is similar to the little giant or the TV/8.
    tv6.jpeg lgmk1.jpeg
    These may help.

telemnemonics, beagle and Si G X like this.
  6. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Bring the mains up slowly! There are electrolytic capacitors that may need reforming before they reach their full voltage!!

Squawker and Si G X like this.
  7. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

I would guess that the TV/8 schematic isn't far off.

EZ80 is the little brother of EZ81. If you A+ is on the low side, an EZ81 should stiffen it up a bit.

The mesh shielding on the input tube pretty much confirms it as an EF86 (or very similar) rather than a twin triode like an ECC83/12AX7.
    EF86 is an input pentode, like the original Vox circuits. In fact that looks quite similar to a "real" AC4 but without the tremolo circuit (which isn't the world's greatest tremolo circuit anyway).

You'll want to replace any electrolytic capacitors in there - it's a bummer, but at that age I wouldn't trust them.

Si G X likes this.
  8. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

And check them for leaks or bulges before bringing them up at all!

Si G X likes this.
  9. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the info, I think I'll just replace them, it makes sense... I'd like this to be a cool little amp I can take to friends houses for 'lounge practice' not a museum piece.

I did wonder about that input tube, I've never seen one with that mesh before. thanks again.

10. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

The capacitors in question are in a single can. C1, C2 & C3.

Si G X likes this.
  11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Thank you very much. :)

12. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Pleased to help.

Si G X likes this.
  13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Thanks, they must be under the chassis I guess? I was expecting to see big cans sticking up like I have in my marshalls. :D

I'll pull that out at the weekend anyway and take a look, I can start to clean the muck and dust off too.

14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Do you think that transformer looks fine? It looks kind of flaky and disintegrating to me, but maybe it's no big deal.

15. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Would you not replace C4 and C5 while you were at it? I mean, sure, they're "only" cathode bypass caps, but if they fail the results could be interesting/unpredictable :p

16. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

Great stuff, Si G X....That amp is a piece of history...I think the numbers (code) on the output transformer 0 5 6 3 could mean the Fifth week of 1963... could be an approximate date of birth..............

Please be careful with applying power to the amp, get expert help if possible...please keep us posted!!!!!!.....willhowl

Si G X likes this.
  17. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

The power tranny looks fine, at a distance. Solid, electromechanical devices like that rarely fail unless they're electrically abused. The glassine paper may look old and fragile, but I expect the windings themselves are fine.

Lowerleftcoast and Si G X like this.
  18. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

tintag27 likes this.
  19. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

please do not just put a plug on it and switch it on, you could screw the whole thing up. Best to take it to a tech, where exactly are you based? Valves in any case could still be ok, wouldn't go replacing them if you don't need to. Get it checked out first, really nice little vintage amp, worth doing properly.

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Cool amp! Interesting that it seems to have the same "Selmer" logo as band instruments from my youth. (Once again I've learned something on TDPRI).

Lowerleftcoast and Si G X like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.