1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Reissue strap?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jfgesquire, Nov 29, 2020.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

bls82261 likes this.
  2. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

It certainly looks similar. A bit pricey for what it is, but nice.

The wood grain on that guitar, both body and neck, is something else! Not surprising, I guess. Of course they would pick the best-looking one for advertising purposes.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That style used to come with all the US reissues back in the day. I had a box full of them in the 90’s. I’ve since given them all away. They look cool, but lack in the functionality and comfort department, IMO.

4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

They are very stiff. You could buy a hell of a strap for $75 instead of that.

5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Agreed with above. I bought one of the newer RI straps to complete case candy with one guitar, but I wouldn't use those straps.

When I bought my AVRI 62 Jazzmaster back in 2001 or 2002, I didn't have much extra money. I used the strap AND the little cable they give you too. The cable lasted maybe 2 uses. The strap was not only uncomfortable, but it also contributed to the strap button pulling out of the guitar.

6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Looks like the type that arrived with your shiny new '52ri, until recently. OK, as part of your case candy. Over-priced, otherwise. The skinnier ones, with a bit of padding, work fine- if you like the minimalist vibe- for a lot less money.

BBEE2EF1-DE1B-4CBB-AFD3-299F0F253675.jpeg.jpg

El Marin and BobbyMac like this.
  7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

The Gibson alternative take, is a much higher quality item. Better leather, memory foam padding.
    I own all three types. The Gibson is great, for heavy instruments....overkill, for six pound Melody Makers. The cheap, skinny Fender works great- it's just a question of aesthetic choices. The OPs vintage copy never gets out of the house....or it's case. ;)

A7E2C3A0-A968-40BE-B6AE-74E4AE58AC49.jpeg.jpg

MickM likes this.
  8. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

That there is Broadcaster serial number #0084. Norm's sold it a few months ago, the guitar of the day on sept. 1st showcases it. It sure is a pretty guitar. Comparing the video to the picture from 1950, you can see just how the white blonde it left the factory with has yellowed to a butterscotch blonde over the past 70 years.

9. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

9FC01949-54AF-49C7-A4E7-8F2E39AFECEC.jpeg Only as case candy unfortunately, because in reality its a great friggin’ strap it really is. I got one of these with my 2012 52 AVRI, it currently adorns my Gretsch.
    Not quite, I had AVRIs in the 90s and the strap that came with those was the black skinny type.

jfgesquire likes this.
  10. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

The regular unstitched one-piece leather skinny vintage-style straps that some guitar makers (Fender, Gretsch, etc.) put out as semi-promo accessories are okay, but no great shakes. When it comes to wider straps like this one, Guild makes a very nice 1" natural/black strap for $50, and I think Levy's still offers a heavy bridle leather one that ages nicely.

Companies like El Dorado make seriously upgraded versions (same design, just better leather and hardware) that are seriously expensive; this one's kinda meh by comparison, maybe fifteen bucks more than it should be. You might do better in price or quality by going on Etsy or putting in a custom order at a tack shop. You could even make your own without any special tools if you use Chicago screws instead of rivets to attach the buckle.

11. jfgesquire

Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. The Deluxe Vintage strap that Fender sells is NOT the same... the skinny part is wider on the good replica and there's no stitching on the shoulder pad, it's got some kind of pressed embossing, I guess you would call it.

Love the Gretsch....I have a 67 Country Gent wearing a 60's black leather vintage style. In most cases, the leather was nicer then... Must be related to the chemicals used in the tanning process.

The strap isn't on in this pic, but I just like looking at the guitar.

Gretsch CG.jpg

Emster and notroHnhoJ like this.
  12. jfgesquire

The one in my thread starter post has a wider strap... I don't really like this skinny one.

13. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

That strap came in black with the Wildwood '62 Strat that I bought used. Not very comfy but so I'll just leave it in the case.

001.JPG

radiocaster likes this.
  14. jfgesquire

That's still not the same.

The American Vintage Broadcaster reissue strap is wider and doesn't have stitching on the shoulder pad.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  15. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Looks like the same one that came with my 55ri thin skin and my E.J. strat.

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was recently involved in a deal that Vince Gill purchased an original '51 Nocaster.

The guitar came with the original case and strap.

The one shown on Reverb would be period correct.

If you're looking for a strap to go with an early blackguard original or tribute. That's probably the one.

jfgesquire likes this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The most uncomfortable strap I ever played was like those skinny straps.

There is an alternative. Use one of these turned inside out.
    [​IMG]

Emster likes this.
  18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I use those in all my guitars, Fender or not. I oil them when new just to make them softer and wrap the pad in it's place with some sewing thread so it doesn't move.

I am used to the feel and the looks

Flaneur likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.