Vintage Organ Grooves

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Here I thought you were talking about vintage organ...

ccorgan2.jpg

I just brought this home. We are breaking up my mom and dad's family home. It is a Chicago Cottage Organ from somewhere around 1890 and has spent its life in the family. Now that's vintage.

Bob

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Find albums by Jimmy McGriff, Groove Holmes, Jimmy Smith, and Jack McDuff. Those are the old guys who broke ground and tilled it with the B-3, C-3, and A-100. Back in the 70s in Indy, Johnny Blanchard and I would hit a pint of Ancient Age on a Saturday night and chord and solo to Groove Holmes organ records until the cops would stop by and tell us to shut up. Johnny said he used to play with Jack McDuff, but never produced any evidence.

Those guys had beaucoup technique, but their thing was groove and, especially, feel. They had a tactile relationship with the dynamic action and response of the Hammond manuals and could produce musical texture as well as that woody, percussive thing on the attack of the notes.

If you ever want to absolutely kill yourself practicing, try to play their organ lines at their original tempo.