Vintage or modern truss rod?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by POS Guitars, Oct 11, 2019.

1. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

I have built some vintage vibe guitars, but I feel like it my be time to modernize. What are your thoughts on single versus double action truss rods in this context, and what about contour cuts? (Modern truss rod bonus: easier to rout for, IMHO).

ben smith likes this.
  2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm new to this, but unless there's a need or desire to be absolutely true to the original, even for something that's hidden, the double-action truss rods can provide more utility and as you note, are pretty darn easy to install. If you're fine with "what's hidden can be modern", then that's the way to go, IMHO. In the end, outside of duplication for posterity, how an instrument performs, including over time, has a lot of importance.

DeanEVO_Dude likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I was considering purchasing a neck with a modern double-acting truss rod but heard they make necks much heavier and can cause other complications as well. Anyone care to comment, refute or substantiate?

4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

yes double action all the way, living in sweden now the weather plays havoc with my one piece maple neck so having a double action is needed. I feel no difference in weight either. even if you live in the states try northwest guitars here in england they make beautiful necks and all of them have double action rods

5. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I'm currently building my 17th guitar; all have double action rods. No problems so far.

6. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

Wow. That's a pretty good consensus so far. I am sold. What about other modern features? For example, what if I build a 50s inspired guitar, with a double action truss rod with adjustment at the head, belly cut, and a curved neck pocket? It would still look pretty close its roots from the front, while provide more flexibility.

As far as the weight comment goes, I don't think there is a quantifiable difference between the two truss rods.

7. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

PRS guitars all have 2 way Truss Rods.
    I've never heard anyone complain. But here's the thing about that. Their Truss Rods
    don't have 2 Bars of metal... thaT look like the kind you'd normally see.

here is a little video about 1 way vs 2 way truss rod

Here is PRS 2 way Truss Rod.

However I agree that I don't think you could really tell the difference in weight
    if you didn't know there was a 2 way truss rod in the neck.

Only time I ever read someone complain about a 2 way truss rod is when they didn't have one
    and wished they did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.