Vintage Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Nahtabot and Steerforth like this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Ha! Man, don't I know it! Parts for these old shovels are not cheap either... nor are they easy to find these days. Good thing is I hoarded parts so I'm good for a while but still, you're not kidding about the $. I try not to think about that part... ;)

Wallo Tweed and Steerforth like this.
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I seem to recall the Kawasaki 750 2-stroke, when they first came out, also came with a custom helmet that had a roller skate on the crown, to be used in extreme wheelie situations. :p

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

This one came out of Gary Nixon's shop. They built it as an off-season play bike. Had a hot cam and high compression pistons, weighed about 325 lb. Lots of fun on country roads.

Steerforth likes this.
  5. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I'm a sportbike guy and was a teenager in the 80s so my choices push the envelope of "vintage". They are vintage in the same way an 80s Stratocaster is vintage.

My first choice is the Honda NSR400. A stunning looking 2-stroke machine from the mid 80s.
    lv19-t117-3-1542837459643@2x.jpg

My second is the oval piston NR750. This is actually an early 90s machine that made no sense. The oval pistons and carbon fiber made it ridiculously expensive and it wasn't that fast. I love the look though. I am a sucker for single sided swingarms.

Honda NR750.jpg

Deeve and Steerforth like this.
  6. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

If it’s beautiful in your eyes, it fits the thread. Nothing wrong with those choices! I like them.

I guess my original phrasing should be expanded to include anything that you can no longer go down to the dealer and buy new.

I tend to get stuck in the era between Panheads and Harley Davidson’s acquisition by AMF. I like the Harleys from that era, and the British bikes, BMWs, and old Hondas. And lots of other stuff.

But all motorcycles are beautiful. Especially those that can no longer be purchased new.

Nahtabot likes this.
  7. slacquin

slacquin TDPRI Member

I guess these will do just fine

Attached Files:

Steerforth and dougstrum like this.
  8. Jake909

Jake909 Tele-Meister

Guitars and motorcycles. Great rides, great sounds. Juke joints and open roads.

So, maybe this is two-for-one. One for the vintage motorcycles thread and the thread about lyrics that stay with you.

'49 Indian (not mine but in my dreams)

49-Indian-Arrow-7.jpg

She loved her brother I remember back when
    He was fixin' up a '49 Indian
    He told her "Little sister, gonna ride the wind
    Up around the moon and back again"
    He never got farther than Vietnam
    I was standin' there with her when the telegram come
    For Lillian
    Now he's lyin' somewhere about a million miles from Meridian

Emmylou Harris -- "Red Dirt Girl"

9. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Favorite motorcycles? I named my dog "Desmo", do the math...

If we're talking bikes I've not owned I think a Vincent is way towards the top of the list, accompanied by pretty much any boardtrack racer from back in the day.

If we're talking bikes I HAVE owned, these two are high on the list:

A 1974 Roundcase Ducati. Obviously the Super Sport is at the top of that list but at six figures these days, not gonna happen. Second would be a Sport model. Third would be the 750GT. I rebuilt one of those a few years back.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it.
    [​IMG]

It belonged to a friend of mine and I'd inquire every so often if he wanted to sell it. Finally he did - I picked it up right before prices skyrocketed. When I started the project I figured I'd have $10k into it when I was done, and at the time you could buy a decent runner for about $6k. Didn't care, I like projects, and depreciation is just part of the game. Jumped in to the deep end with it, and watched prices go up and up and up... If I had simply stuffed it into the basement and resold it a few years later I would have made good money. But I spent the next 3+ years rebuilding it and ended up with this;
    [​IMG]

When I sold it a few years after that I made some money but that wasn't really the point, I got to experience riding a roundcase. Yes they're getting close to 50 years old now but are completely useable in the real world. I built the engine to "Sport" specs and surprised a few people with how well a (then) 40 year old bike would run. Started first kick almost every time, if you hit three, something was wrong. Prices going up were a mixed blessing. Sure I made a little money but I decided to sell it when I reached the point where whenever I rode it I thought about what I could do with the money if I sold it...

FWIW the sale of that led to, among other things, buying a 1991 851, which was the holy grail to me back in 1991. For a lot of years I had around 5 Ducatis in the garage ready to go with a couple three more projects in the shop. I've sold off almost all my Ducatis now, the 851 is the last one in the garage. I also still have two project bikes that have never run since I've owned them - long term projects.

My other favorite is a little guy I bought in a package deal. I was looking for a 250 narrowcase and found a 250 Monza in Ohio. The guy also had a 160 Monza Jr. I offered him all the cash I had with me for both of them, and he took it. I had no idea what I was going to do with the 160 but figured something would come to me while I was rebuilding the 250. And then a weird thing happened, the 160 became my main project. In fact the 250 STILL isn't done, over ten years later!

Anywhos, here's a pic of the 160 from the ad
    [​IMG]

I eventually decided to build a tribute to a 125 Sport but it morphed into something different. I thought it was pretty cool... then discovered it's basically a copy of a TS. I must have seen one at some point and subconsciously built a copy. I dunno, but it wasn't intentional. Here it is, finished.
    [​IMG]

It was a fun bike, started first kick also, but the reality finally set in that it was completely worthless as a bike in the real world around here. I sold it to a guy who keeps it at his auto repair shop. It sits around with old Porsches and such that are awaiting parts/attention.

PS - yes, I realize neither of the two bikes I've shown are Desmos. I'm fine with that... features define eras, not the brand.

10. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

My first motorcycle, I got one just like this used when I was a junior in high school, 1981
    5A5C1D5F-CF32-4F1B-A3E0-ED4D408F37E3.jpeg

SacDAve and Steerforth like this.
  11. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a 450 Maico when I was young
    What a powerhouse 0A3B69F2-FB17-464A-A2F4-70DF2866DB9F.jpeg

12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I’m a sucker for 1970s dirt bikes. Once I was old enough to ride, those of us whose parents weren’t buying us new early-mid ‘80s bikes—and ATVs—rode beaters from the ‘70s.

I had a high-school buddy who had a Suzuki TM400 Cyclone motocrosser.

upload_2020-9-2_22-16-24.jpeg

Those were a violent handful of narrow midrange power without much going on down low or up top, wrapped in a flexy, undersuspended chassis and equipped with an early solid-state ignition that was temperature sensitive; you never knew exactly what your spark advance curve was going to be (or when the power was going to hit).

I would love to have one of those evil bastards just to hop on once in awhile and smoke up the pasture, of an evening. Erase the cares of the day with abject terror.

(In real life, I have a couple of early Z50 mini-trails and a ‘77 CB750A “Hondamatic” now.)

Steerforth and Gardo like this.
  13. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Mine. 1978 Suzuki GS1000
    [​IMG]

rz350 and Steerforth like this.
  14. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That looks a lot like a TM 250 I had
    The only cycle I have now is an 82 Honda Ascot ft500 that’s tucked away in a shed

mexicanyella and Steerforth like this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

seen @ the curb as I walked into work this week - not a true vintage Enfield, but it stunned me to see on the street 20200901_073759.jpg

on another street rests a Ural w/ sidecar, across from MotoGuzzi (don't know models)

16. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have owned a couple of VFR750s, a distant cousin to the NR750. This was the most recent, a 97...

16439_100943273263419_606609_n.jpg DSC00052.JPG

Stefanovich and Steerforth like this.
  17. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

me too. boring but brilliant. its amazing stability saved me from a few moments

Steerforth likes this.
  18. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

I've never owned one, but have ridden them, and yes they are fast. At one time they were the fastest production bike you could buy.

Steerforth likes this.
  19. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

The Ultimate Norton?

Norton_Manx_500_(1954)_562.jpg

rz350, Deeve, SacDAve and 2 others like this.
  20. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I've always been partial to generator shovel heads. I've owned 2 of them, and still have the one I bought over 40 years ago.

Shovelheads are pretty popular with young guys right now. I know a guy searching for one now. He could have had his fathers pan head for a super price, and he turned it down.

Steerforth and Telekarster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.