1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Modified Thinline f-holes: rounded vs not rounded

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by gramgramp, Mar 1, 2021.

1. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

My VM Thinline came to me after being converted to long-scale...so the neck SN doesn't apply to the body.
    Mine has the rounded f-hole tips. I have scoured the internet for images of VM Thinlines that show neck SN on original necks as well as pics that show the f-holes. I have come up with a whopping sample size of eleven. Yeah, I could only find eleven. Here is how the data breaks down by year:

Year Round or no how many
    ----- -------------- -----------
    2007 all round 4 of the 11
    2009 not round 2 of the 11
    2010 not round 2 of the 11
    2011 not round 3 of the 11

So...my very small sample size survey indicates that the rounded f-holes were only used in 2007 or possibly 2008 but I could find no images from 2008 VM Thinlines. I know this is a very, very small sample size so can't necessarily be trusted to represent the true population of VM Thinlines.

So the big question: Has anyone out there already looked into this and maybe already knows the answer...were the rounded f-holes only found on the very early VM Thinlines?

I looked into the Master Series Thinline which was introduced in 2005 and every single image I have seen of those have rounded f-holes. So my theory is the newer VM introduced in 2007 had to use tops that were from the Master factory. The problem with that theory is that while the f-hole cutouts look the same the Master controls cavity for example is in the rear so the tops are really not the same, just have the same f-hole.

That's as much as I know or can guess. So ...anyone out there already invented this wheel?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated as I could spend the rest of my life researching this topic ...but maybe I don't have to. :)

ps. I'd be willing to start and keep a list of VM Thinlines by SN and whether rounded or not f-holes. I already have my first eleven.

So any VM Thinline owners out there could reply with SN and whether rounded f-holes or not...anyway, I'd be willing if there is interest in this minutiae.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Old Plank likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought this on eBay Jan. of 2020. It was sold as an "open box" (plastic on) VM, but had no serial number. Likely made in 2019 or thereabouts.

Thinline3.jpg

gramgramp likes this.
  3. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply Boreas. Nice body you got there...for a future project huh?

But, bummer so far at least...I didn't get a single reply about VM Thinline SNs / f-hole type. Patience. Patience. But I was able to add two more to my list so my sample size is now up to a huge 13. One of the new ones was a 2007 so here is where my study stands at this moment:

2007 all round 5 of 13
    2009 not round 2 of 13
    2010 not round 2 of 13
    2011 not round 3 of 13
    2012 not round 1 of 13

See the pattern here? :)

So, PLEASE, any VM '69 Thinline owners/experts out there...I could use some help. :)

Everyone have a great day!

Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

No - it was used here:

20200309_183310.jpg

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

Oops, I misunderstood that point. I love that guitar. Great job.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Boreas

I would build some more, but the Squier neckless bodies are getting too expensive. I paid too much for that one, but it was the only one I could find at the time, and I need a pandemic project.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

Okay, status is still that I haven't seen or been alerted to any VM Thinlines with rounded f-holes after 2007. So I'm just gonna make this simple. If anyone has or knows about a VM thinline made AFTER 2007 that has rounded end f-holes...could you please let me know. No serial number, no pics, just info that one exists. Then, in the absence of any info about their existence I'll conclude that rounded end f-holes ONLY were on the 2007 Vintage Modified Thinlines? Fair?

Thanks again everyone,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.