1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Jensen Wattage???

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by CLewisW, Dec 10, 2017.

1. CLewisW

CLewisW TDPRI Member

Hopefully someone can help me with this because I've officially looked everywhere. Many years ago I garbage picked a Hammond S4 chord organ and it's still hanging around. Recently I decided to tinker and pulled many awesome preamp tubes from it. Mostly GE and a few RCA 12au7's. Then I wanted to mess with one of the speakers as I saw it was a Jensen. It is 10 inches, 8 ohms, and was made in April of 1956.

I found everything about it but the wattage. I used it for a short time with my 55 watt amp but I didn't want to push it. Although I can say that it is very loud and very R'n'f'nR. I just need to know if I can use it in a 2x10 cab I'm putting together or will I kill it over a period of extended use. In addition to the rim codes there is also a code stamped on the underside of the cone that I could not photograph, it reads as follows: 3010Y21W2. Thanks for any and all help. CW IMG_2473.JPG IMG_2472.JPG IMG_2459.JPG IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2460.JPG

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Irrespective of the specs at the time, you have to treat this speaker like a 5-7 watts max.

Every decade of a spkr life is 5 watts less in power handling, said our Lord and Master Ted Weber

In a 210, what you got is a 15 watts cab.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I"d tend to say it depends. I have a (judging by rim code)1958 P15R in my Excelsior. It's a 13 watt nominal amp. It's been there six months of practices and gigs. Mine came out of a Motorola Goldentone jukebox console.

IMG_20170629_145437.jpg

I'd say you've got a P10R by the voicecoil size or about 15 watts RMS. If the cone is not rotten and been stored in good conditions (dry, not watermarks or rot or fungus) it'd probably be usable.

If it does blow, you can get it reconed/coiled.

1962 Wharfdale - works fine. IMG_20171025_104300.jpg

And another Jensen been Inna storage.locker maybe 20 years. Perfect cone works fine.datecode July 1967

IMG_20171111_171318.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  4. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The EM 1002 has a 10 oz. magnet and was originally an 18 watt organ speaker.

Bill Moore and Wally like this.
  5. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

The basket is, of course, different than the classic Jensens used in zillions of old guitar amps but the cone looks just about identical to both my 50's P12R and P12Q. The R series was a 12 watt speaker and the Q was a 14-15 watt speaker.

I've used both in my '54 Deluxe and either sounds fantastic but have settled on the Q since I gig regularly. It is a little more robust plus they are much easier to get reconed correctly. There seem to be very few places that will recone an R with the correct weight paper any longer, including Weber.

So, be careful with it. They are becoming precious and produce a tone that shouldn't be lost.

Just an observation though based on the basket and code. Are you sure that's not a '66 C series? It would still be fairly low wattage but a little beefier than the P series.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  6. CLewisW

CLewisW TDPRI Member

I found conflicting info on when Hammond ceased production on the S4. It was either 56' or 66' so it could be either.

thegeezer likes this.
  7. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Jensen EM speakers were all ceramic.......except for EM 1520 and 1550 which were alnico 15" models. Your speaker is from 1966.

Wally likes this.
  8. CLewisW

CLewisW TDPRI Member

Just to throw this out there. The other speaker, I believe, is a Rola. Rim code is 285344. Other codes are 9353 and AO-26689-2. It is 8 inches. It's very plain and has a small blocky type back where the magnet is located

9. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

rickmccl likes this.
  10. CLewisW

CLewisW TDPRI Member

Thank you very much. This has solved it. I was finding a lot of info on the 1001 but none on the 1002.This is the documentation I needed. Some real stats I can digest. Much appreciated

11. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, the Concert/Vibranto speakers were what many music stores stocked as replacement drivers. I like them, and had a 12" that Weber reconed, for my DR clone, it sounds great!

12. CLewisW

CLewisW TDPRI Member

Would it be better to get a recone. I don't wanna mess with it if I don't have to

13. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Life is too short. If you like it play it. Better to enjoy it and if it fails, THEN get it reconed. Whats a hundred bucks of resale value in the grand scheme of things.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That speaker is worth something only if it is being used. It makes no high dollar vintage amp ‘correct’ so ime and imho it has a limited value....it isn’t worth a hundred dollars, imho. It is definitely worth playing in an appropriate amp. I would want it in a 12-15 watt amp maximum. Or.....20-25 watt amp that is not going to be pushed hard.

Bill Moore likes this.
  15. CLewisW

CLewisW TDPRI Member

100% agree. I have no concerns about modifying any piece of gear. I got it for free after all. My only concern is the fragility of the cone as it is now. I'd definitely like to get it into something less powerful

16. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

He told me this personally when I asked about some 60s C12RS I had years back. If I put more than 10 watts each into them I should consider them a short term solution. And then told me how he lost count on how many times folks asked after they took out an OT when they found out the hard way shopping for new speakers.

17. Wally

I respect the knowledge that T. Weber held and passed on. However, I like to find a bit of humor in things. According to that formula of losing 5 watts per decade, I have played on OEM P12R’s in 5E3 Deluxe amps that would have been -15 watt speakers at the time I played the amps according to that formula. I am sure that a speaker loses a percentage of its handling capability over time, but it is impossible to lose more than one starts with, is it not??? (;^)
    And...I have seen new speakers lose 100% of their handling capacity in less than a year.....they stopped working.

Bill Moore likes this.
  18. robt57

I'd argue most of these 50-60s finds are among the most inefficient speakers one could use for a tube guitar amp.

One of the best sounding 60s Jensen speakers I have is a EV-1501 Ceramic crinkle painted driver. I try not to use is in 2x6L6 or EL34 amps. I have a pair of Heppner pulls that are 60s also, one in my 5E3 the other a backup for it in case, because It just sounds right to me.

Had a 15" Smooth cone Alnico Cleveland Conn organ pull that was tried but never lived in anything. Interesting sound, just not for me, yada.

19. Wally

Robt57, the organ pulls I have found seem to be fairly efficient speakers....nothing shy about them.

20. robt57

That same Conn Organ had a 1961 CR8 [in the trem/rotating section] and a Square Magnet CTS ribbed 12" that were not a problem efficiency. The 15 smooth cone was obviously a low frequency driver not appropriate for guitar tones I'd seek.

Organ also had a 6x9 in it. The CR8 got put in a 62 Supro made 9029a Montgomery Ward that was a sublime combination I can say. A recording fav my friend just had to have and I capitulated.

May as well post a pic: [the 1501 and my money pair in the shot]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.