1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Jensen P12Q info

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by RemingtonFluff, Oct 23, 2018.

1. RemingtonFluff

RemingtonFluff NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone, this is my first post so hopefully this info request is in the appropriate thread. A few years back I found a funky speaker cab at the local Goodwill for $5 and took a chance. Luckily this blue beauty was inside. Using Google as my friend, I've come up with nothing related to the model/spec number that's printed, and I haven't come across this particular sticker in the image search either. Is it the typical 1957/58 Alnico 5 concert series, or something else? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IMG_0575.jpg IMG_0576.jpg IMG_0577.jpg IMG_0578.jpg IMG_0579.jpg

viccortes285 and SSL9000J like this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Typical fullrange alnico speaker. Probably exact same as appeared in jukeboxes, organs, projectors, guitar/MI amps.

Often a plain and straight cone would be paired in the days before crossovers and the concept of stereo, tweeters and woofers was common in the 60s. The plain cone usually was perceived to handle bass a little better.

This would probably be a very nice speaker for a low wattage 6V6-based Tweed amp.

With that excellent cosmetic condition hi-fi nuts and restorers of vintage audio gear would be likely to snap it up. These sell at fair prices on fleabay.

SnidelyWhiplash and ZackyDog like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Welcome and nice find.

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

Niiiiiiice!
    I think, and someone please correct me on this, that the "P12Q" is the 40-watt version of the "P12R," which is 25 watts. Specs for the current models can be found at jensentone.com. The 25-watt Jensens are somewhat more desirable for smaller amps & cabinets in the 18-watt range. 40-watt speakers might be a little too "clean" for some.
    *EDIT - I stand corrected. Did a bit of looking and found that Vintage Jensens do not, in fact, have the same power ratings as their contemporary counterparts. So forget everything I just said. An older P12Q such as yours was probably in the 15 watt range when it was new. Here's the post I found with some info.*
    Nonetheless, it's a Jensen alnico with a ribbed cone and it looks about perfect. Can't go wrong with that. And for five bucks, you say? Where is this Goodwill of Hidden Treasure??
    Put an ohmmeter on it, (check the voice coil and determine the impedance,) and try it out!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

A P12R is a 12 watt speaker and a Q is rated at 14 actually.

They seem to hang in there just fine in an old Deluxe in my experience. They’re pretty tough. Just don’t overload them. They don’t make ‘em anymore!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    schmee likes this.
  6. corn husk bag

corn husk bag TDPRI Member

Those old p12q are excellent. I use them in tweed deluxe, lower powered PA conversions, and they sound great in a Silvertone 1482.:)

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

They are cool. Not sure what the letter is after the P12Q on that frame.? I had one out of an old stereo that looked like that and it broke up nasty and early. Other's I have had out of organs were much better. Some were ribbed, some were smooth cones. I find about 50% of the old ones have a voice coil rub... even though they look perfect. It often is about the low A to low C range on guitar that it occurs. But the good ones I have sold for $100-$120.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

When Jensen shifted from smooth to ribbed cones some were stamped "P12QR". I've seen several 50's "QR's" pulled from organs and other "non guitar amp" equipment.

It's a P12Q - but be cautious with it. It originally was designed to handle around 15 watts (clean) - [but has lost about 35% of its power handling according to what the late Ted Weber. He said at 30 years speakers lost about 25% and at 40+ years 35% was a relatively safe estimate. So at this point it's roughly a 10 watt speaker. Most amps are not run at maximum clean headroom and only use a fraction of their power, but when run loud the power handling is critical. And distortion of any kind throws power handling WAY out of whack, with 2-3x amp output required if run at high volume whether the distortion is output stage generated or comes from a pedal.

I've sent out quite a few blown P12Q's for reconing that were pulled from 5D3 and 5E3 Deluxes, which generally hit 12 and 15 watts max.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. RemingtonFluff

RemingtonFluff NEW MEMBER!

Thank you all for the informative and positive responses!! Upon closer inspection, it does look like that's an "R" after the "Q," so thanks Silverface. Im hopefully going to save it for a 5E3 build one day. I'd love to put it in the real deal, but it will be awhile. I'm pretty sure I tested it long ago, and it tested at 8 ohms. I did install it briefly in my 1960 Panaramic 96-10041, which luckily was never cranked. It did sound fantastic, with more top end compared to my re-coned 1963 P12Q. However, the original Oxford alnico went back in because the Jensen seemed to only contribute to the already low-mid tone of the Panaramic, while the Oxford seems to offset it.

thegeezer likes this.
  10. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a reconed '56 in my '55 Deluxe. It's pretty tough, 'cause I've shown it no mercy. Sounds great too. Seems kinda perfect for that amp.

11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Damn, every time i go to GW all i find are crappy electronics,
    funky hats & VHS tapes. ;)

Great find! :cool:

SSL9000J likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.