1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Jensen C12S in a PR clone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sysy, Jan 21, 2021.

1. sysy

sysy TDPRI Member

Hi all,

So I am planning to grab a princeton reverb kit from Uraltone, and build my own cab. From what I understand, this is a pretty bog standard AA1164 circuit with no changes - meaning probably about 12-14w.

I was originally thinking of grabbing something like a WGS Veteran 10 or something else that would put it in the ballpark of vintage correct. My thinking was to keep it as close to original as possible, and then start modding and changing from there if I really feel it to be necessary.

With that being said, I have an original C12S that came out of a Univox U45b, in perfectly good working condition. Used that speaker for years before eventually deciding to put a RI P12Q in there, to brighten it up and add some chime, which that amp certainly needed, but I am thinking this might work in the Princeton, which doesn't have the same deficiencies. And the concept of being thrifty and giving this speaker (that would otherwise be sitting in a box) a new home is certainly appealing.

As far as I can tell from a quick internet search, the C12S is a a very inefficient (which I don't mind) and very low powered speaker - I believe about 12 watts from reading some past forum mentions.

I have two questions -

1) Considering that I am very unlikely to ever crank this amp, even with an inefficient speaker, how much of a risk would I be running putting in a slightly underpowered speaker? I think it would be fair to say I gig at what is colloquially known as "jazz gig volumes".

2) Any thoughts on how this thing would sound in a PR, compared to a more standard 20 watt or so 10 inch? Theoretically speaking, I figure the speaker being a 12 might compensate a little bit for the slightly lower wattage, but thats just me talking out of my back side, with no real experience. I obviously know this speaker from the Univox, but thats a very different circuit.

Thanks in advance, just trying to decide on this before I order the kit. Would be easy enough to build another baffle for a 10 if it doesn't work out, but I am just trying to save a couple of bucks on one shipment vs two, should I decide to order the vet 10.

2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I have two of those in an old Cordovox cab. They are great sounding speakers. I doubt you'll blow it ... I use that cab with a '68 Bassman. Old speakers can be brittle and could have age related wear, so there's always a chance. I take that chance all the time with older amps. Very few failures.

3. sysy

sysy TDPRI Member

Thanks - knowing a 50w doesn't blow two of them does put my mind at ease.

4. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I don't play loud, however. I could blow them. I keep it under the speed limit.

sysy likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I think the "S" is the wimpiest of the Jensen line isn't it? 12 watt speaker or something like that? I guess for bedroom playing you'd be ok. I had six P10s's once. Terrible. They were vintage but unsellable.

6. sysy

sysy TDPRI Member

Don't know the full range Jensen had but yes, I'd assume this was the weakest one considering it's letter designation. Generally very light speaker with a tiny magnet. But I am not sure that's necessarily a bad thing in the right context. Just trying to figure out if this is said context or not ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.