1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Headphones

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boomhauer, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I picked up some old headphones at an estate sale last week for $5. They say "Passport" on the side, with the model number HP-618. But, I can't find a darn bit of information about 'em. I've found one website on the whole of Google that mentioned the headphones being sold with a Zenith Circle-Of-Sound record player/stereo combo:
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/zenith-circle-sound-phonograph-stereo-163592696

Each can has it's own volume control, which is where the problem lies: The left can only works when the volume is at about half volume. I can't find any information on the headphones, so I have no idea how to remedy the situation. Can any of you dudes point me in the right direction?

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Get a can of DeOxit and clean the pots.

3. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Edit: nvm

4. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Crank the pot through its full rotation 20 times vigorously and see if that cleans up the contact.

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I have a similar looking set of 70s Pioneer headphones.

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Did that. The headphones seem to work now :D

They're VERY clear...I had a live recording on, and I could hear what I thought were the dudes' guitar picks hitting the strings. But, the sound is also very flat...no sparkly highs or deep lows. Not a lot of "color" overall.

7. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

All true hifi gear is very flat like that. That's why most average listeners boost the bass and treble, as most low to mid quality systems have poor response in the bass and treble regions. I have a 1950's mono hifi setup using a 1952 Bell 2122B 10-15 watt tube mono amp and a late 50's voice of music extension speaker with a 10" and a 2" tweeter, and I always turn up the bass and treble a bit to "modernize" the tone a little. Even with an upgraded set of high quality 70's realistic brand (when radio shack made nice things....) towers, I still do this, as a smiley face EQ is what we are used to with rock music and most cheaper audio systems. Sounds like you found yourself a very nice set of vintage headphones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.