1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vintage Hammond Wire: Gauge and Uses

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jesco, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

1BCD5E19-F6EF-4D4C-8E90-30B2BE1BCD6B.jpeg Hey all!

I have a bunch of wire from an old dead Model M Hammond organ. It’s fantastic to work with, nice push back cloth wire. I have been using it for the preamp circuit but am wondering if it will be okay for B+ or grounding connections.

How can I determine the voltage rating of the cloth covering? And how do I determine gauge? Digital calipers I assume?

Any advice is appreciated!

RollingBender likes this.
  2. Forthefunofit

Forthefunofit TDPRI Member

Nice stash! Looks like you're set for wire for a while!

Don't know about the B+, but I'd bet that a twisted pair would make a good ground buss run.

I've read a lot of different places that the cloth covered wire is not voltage rated.
    And yes, calipers would do the trick for sizing it. Attached is an AWG wire gage chart for you.

Attached Files:

3. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

Thanks FTFoi!

I’ve never heard that. Do you know any resources I could learn more about cloth covered wire and voltages? It’s seems like it would definitely arc eventually.

I have definitely used it as a twisted pair for ground connection in my turret boards. I just wish I knew if I could use it for, say, a star grounding layout.

4. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Anything will arc if you push the voltage high enough but I bet none of that will at guitar amplifier voltages. The organ that came out of was probably running the same scale voltages that you would use in any guitar amp application, so I would just personally use it and not worry.

Alternatively, test it and find out. What's the highest voltage you can generate with any test equipment you have on hand? Use a lightbulb limiter and run 700 volts through it wrapped around a grounded bolt and see it if shorts. Again, I bet it's fine because they used generic cloth insulated wire for decades before UL voltage ratings became a thing.

Jesco likes this.
  5. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I’ve built a few amps using that same wire. Fantastic stuff to work with. Makes troubleshooting more difficult with all black white though.

Jesco likes this.
  6. Les Gear

Les Gear TDPRI Member

Color-coded shrink-wrap on the ends.
    Shrink first, cut second for a nice clean end.

Jesco likes this.
  7. chas.wahl

chas.wahl Tele-Meister

Heh heh -- no worse than all yellow!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.