Vintage Guitars Are Not That Expensive

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Treeface, Jun 24, 2019.

1. horax

horax Tele-Holic

I make well into the six figures...my wife is almost at six figures...and I cna't afford 10-15000.00 for a guitar.
    I have four kids...3-16 years old...way better investment. ;)

2. Jakethedog

Jakethedog TDPRI Member

I can buy 3 great guitars, a good amp, a good fishing boat, a motorcycle, a new fishing rod, pay some bills, AND take my wife out a couple times for $10-15k.

That’s give or take a third of what I make in a year. No guitar is worth a third of a year to me. If anyone else is in to it, that’s your business. I just don’t think any guitar sounds $14500 better than my tele, and really if I was going to spend that much on any single piece of gear, I’d invest in an absolutely stellar amp. That’s most of the time anyway, aside from your hands.

You blues lawyers crack me up with your concepts of value.

Charlodius likes this.
  3. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I didn't read the whole thread but a 2013 Camry would not go in a museum (yet). But a vintage Tele on the other hand is a collectible.

4. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Someone might kill for a Tele....

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

man i feel like buying something all the sudden

Charlodius and brbadg like this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Peoples jaws used to drop when I would tell them that my 1940 Harley was worth about $20k.
    HOLY CRAP!!! 20 THOUSAND?!?!
    I'd tell them, take that dough to a Toyota dealership and see what you leave with.
    I'm sure there are plenty of people driving a $50k pickup truck who thing a $20k guitar (or some other toy) is impossibly out of reach.

David Barnett likes this.
  7. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

If the person you're looking to hire isn't already working for you, they're a cop. There is no such thing as a freelance hitman. It's strictly a staff position.

8. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Come on now. People gotta start SOMEwhere.

9. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I understand where you're coming from but I see us at the opposite point in history. IMHO we're at a point where anything from the past with intrinsic value is simply recycled in the cheapest way possible to profit off of the cool memories of the past. From songs with samples of classic tracks to remakes of movies/tv shows that shouldn't be remade to cliche blooze/country to pre ripped third world country made denim to low end knockoffs of our iconic instruments.

10. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

if you smoke a pack a day, and the average cost per pack is $7, you could quit and buy a $15K guitar with the savings in less than six years. Many people who don’t smoke waste $7 a day on things they don’t even realize. Starbucks. Buying, not bringing lunch. Not saying you should bag your lunch and buy a vintage guitar. But if you have a smoking habit or a Starbucks habit, ya could. What looks cooler, a triple latte in your hand, or a vintage telecaster? Exactly.

...drops mic...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Crashbelt and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  11. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Perspective is everything. Ever talk to pro classical/concert player. Their instruments dwarf guitars in price. If your a weekend warrior or hobby player maybe 15k is to much. I also see folks who own 5 or 6 300.00 guitars. I would prefer 1 great one instead. A real fifties Tele is a very different beast from modern made guitars. I am fortunate enough to have both custom shop and a real one. The difference is palpable. I don't buy guitars to make money flipping them. I play them....period. If i do sell one,its to move up or sideways to another one. I wish a blackgaurd was still. 600.00 used(i was around when they were) they are very special and well worth 15 grand.

timbraun and _Presto_ like this.
  12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

I just came upon this Thread.

Is the debate about:
    1) How much money one has?
    2) Comparing a guitar to a house/car/etc.?
    3) Is a vintage guitar a good investment that will give a good return when sold?

13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

14. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

My investments in guitars has been beating the stock market HANDILY over the last 15 years. I am not sure that will remain that way. There is such a FLOOD of guitars being trafficked nowadays, with lots of wanna-be dealers and traders trying to just get a piece of that action that I feel that profits, just like folks to do on-line selling, are going to be small IF they are able to make some. The world is your oyster but the competition is your world!

15. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

50 year old guitar? No thanks, that's not old enough for me.

16. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Hence my observation....I did well and sold about 10 guitars that I held for more than 10 years, actually some more than 20 years but I don't see it continuing ..
    Also, now we are going to see the dreaded Sales tax added to the private sales at Reverb etc. which skims just a little more profits ( potentially) of the top.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  17. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

You mean I'd have to wait almost 6 years to buy a vintage guitar...?

18. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

And the waiting is hell when you’re out of cigarettes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.