Vintage Guitars Are Not That Expensive

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Treeface, Jun 24, 2019.

1. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

It's funny this should come up. I'm at a point in my life where I have money in the bank
    . I'm not rich , but we inherited some , sold some stocks etc. On top of that , kids are gone , and we both make decent money.

Interest rates isn't anything to talk about these days , but then again , inflation is really low as well..

Summer cottage ? Nahhh.....?.I'm not interested in investing in stocks , so that is also out...

I'm into old cars , so looked at getting a vintage vehicle. I know people that doubled their money in a few years , mainly Porsche owners......Space is a problem , I have too much already , and no decent storage available for a nice car.

This thread made me realize that all though I'm a total guitar geek , have far to many , and love to tinker with them , I haven't even considered buying a vintage guitar !

I guess it's just been completely off my radar , that this could be a decent investment.
    Sure there is a risk involved , but that could be said about anything,....but do I really want to own one......hmmm ?

Charlodius likes this.
  2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmnn!! Vintage guitars, even beat up, are HUGELY expensive here in Oz. I'm tlaking tens of thousands of AUD $$$. So much so that guys are opting for roadworn series types or Gibson Les Paul re-issues.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

So that is 3 x "really" ... sounds like an LV bag to me... MAYBE MORE THAN ONE !! Don't ask me how I know.

4. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

They sure are! I got mine in the US, but after converting to AUD and then paying duties & taxes on top - it ended up pretty painful.

radiocaster likes this.
  5. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Your first?!

How many of these do you own?

6. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

3 and a Goldtop.

bftfender and _Presto_ like this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

This is a ridiculous comparison on so many levels. Not even worth picking apart. Yeah no.

Carry on.

noah330 and hellopike like this.
  8. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I don’t think you quite realize how wrong that statement is for many, many people.

9. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

For 10 years I did early intervention for disabled children in the most underserved areas of the south Bronx. Children in underwear because they literally have no clothes. Abject poverty with 8 people living in a tiny 2 room apartment. I don’t think you realize what I realize.

10. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Ah. You’re smarter than me AND holier than thou. Goodbye.

11. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I assure you I am neither. Apologies if I offended you.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are trade offs with everything/every location.

Do you know what snow is ?

Could you live without a beach on the ocean nearby ?

How about long-legged Aussie girls ? (I imagine every gal there as being Nicole Kidman or Margot Robbie)

And there are other things favoring your location that we can’t talk about on this forum...

And , When I sold guitars , I shipped overseas often and I shipped at least half a dozen instruments to Australia. And I think all but one I detached the neck (Fender models) .

Price was the same, shipping was a little higher. It’s not impossible

13. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Sure I do, there are millions of Americans for whom a $1,000 purchase is essentially unthinkable. Compared to these people, who are living truly desperate lives, purchasing any guitar is a hopelessly decadent and selfish act, and TDPRI should probably be shut down.

However, America 2019 is a hopelessly decadent and selfish society, which means that the original post remains true.

noah330 likes this.
  14. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

As musical instruments go, yes, electric guitarist seeking a decent vintage example do have it pretty easy. Mandolins, violins, cellos, saxophones, grand pianos, etc. all have an average higher ticket into the vintage fine instrument realm

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have read through this entire thread and this statement seems to be the correct perspective. Prices of these "collectibles" is basically society gone amuck and supports the original post in an offhand way. Let's help the world's ills with our music and support instead of hoarding old stuff. Yup, vintage guitars are just old stuff seemingly filling our crazy rented storage room facilities popping up in every town across the land, because we don't have enough space in our dwellings to store stuff. Call it "lust" but to me it is pathetic. We need George Carlin back.

16. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

One great thing, is that regardless of your ability or desire to own a vintage guitar, you can own a perfectly gigable modern guitar for very little money. The 1950s may have been a golden age for American guitars but I believe we are in another kind of golden age, with very consistent manufacturing methods on lower priced guitars, and a nearly endless variety of inexpensive aftermarket components to pimp out your guitar.

17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I imagine that for the vast majority of us, other than being undeniably cool a "vintage" instrument wouldn't change the way we make music in any way whatsoever over a similarly equipped MIM Fender/Epiphone.

Manual Slim, Charlodius and Obsessed like this.
  18. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

From a financial point of view, if I had 50k and needed a car and a guitar....

1. Smartest play is to shop carefully and get both used but good quality. Say 10k for the car and 700 for the guitar. Invest the rest. Spend some time on the internet criticizing people who invest differently. Possibly start a blog.

If I am determined to spend it all:

2. Dumbest play (financially) is buy a $300 new guitar and a new car for $49,700. Car starts to depreciate once I drive it off the lot, guitar probably loses a third of its value. I can however get on the internet and brag about what a great deal my $300 guitar is, and how people who spend more than necessary are deluded fools.

3. A much better play would be a carefully selected 15K guitar that will hold its value (or possibly appreciate), and a 35k car. Still gonna take a beating on the car most likely, but some of my value is a bit more locked in. I will however be called a deluded fool on internet forums. Can take some consolation in my nice car and amazing guitar.

There are of course a million variations in between, and it is all personal choice. I am unlikely to spend 15k on a guitar (or 50 k on a car) due to other factors. I am also unlikely to go for the smartest play (1) because I don't have to and dont want to.

Charlodius likes this.
  19. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

It's called a CAPITALIST SOCIETY and I love it!! You work hard, you play hard....you have opportunities... grab them.... but you need to bend down to pick the money up from the streets... Take this any way you want !!!

bftfender likes this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My brother in law has at least 15K of hockey memorabilia from the Islanders’ hay day hanging on the wall in his den. Money down the toilet to me. I’ve spent more than that on an Australia and New Zealand vacation flying in the front of the jet with nothing to show for it but memories of a vacation of a lifetime. I have little disagreement with most of the posts to this thread. If you have discretionary income, spend it on what makes you happy. Boats for some folks, vintage guitars for others. If you’re paying your bills and taxes with something left over, go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.